Thread: How do I get the kitten to use the scratching post?

How do I get the kitten to use the scratching post?

I have this large scratching post I had for my cats. So I'm trying to get the kitten to use it because he keeps scratching up the carpets on the floor. I say no and carry him to the post and run his paws along it. He just squirms and runs off. So how can I teach him he's only allowed to scratch on this post? He just keeps going back to the carpet over and over. Shadow is declawed (adopted this way at 2yrs old, I didn't do it to him so no getting mad at me) so I'm not really sure how to do it. I really don't want my carpet ruined from looking after someone else's cat.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

It seems that perhaps your new kitten prefers a horizontal surface to a vertical one. For some reason, some cats have preferences. My suggestion is to get some sort of horizontal scratcher; Blue likes to use the cardboard one that sits on the floor and is kinda - well, wavy, I guess is the word. Get something like that and sprinkle cat nip onto it; that might help the kitten to learn. Good luck - and let us know how things progress!

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

Spread catnip on the cat scratcher.

Use a spray bottle, mix equal parts water and white vinegar, and spray that where kitty WANTS to scratch. Do both the catnip and the spray at the same time, so that they are both 'fresh' at the same time.

You will do this often to start - perhaps daily. You will continue to do this maybe once a week for the life of the kitty.

My brother taught Max to use the scratching post by showing him. He would take his paws and actually put them on the scratching post. Max never scratches furniture.

But yes, the catnip idea is a good one if he likes catnip.

try to find a scratching post with the same type of carpet he is already scratching on. My cats never clawed the furniture, but won't scratch on any type of material other than the loopy type of carpet. Toby actually prefers the horizontal cardboard scratchers (I have the Emery Cat), but Havoc loves his tall carpeted one, once I re-covered it in the type he likes to claw on.

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    It seems that perhaps your new kitten prefers a horizontal surface to a vertical one. For some reason, some cats have preferences. My suggestion is to get some sort of horizontal scratcher; Blue likes to use the cardboard one that sits on the floor and is kinda - well, wavy, I guess is the word. Get something like that and sprinkle cat nip onto it; that might help the kitten to learn. Good luck - and let us know how things progress!

I agree, cats are individuals, they each have their owns likes and dislikes. If I was in your place, I would buy a scratching post that is horizontal, and sprinkle some catnip leaves on it.

Run a string over your scratching post to get you Kitten used to jumping and scratching at the post
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

You got some very good advice. Try a scratching box made or corrugated cardboard. It comes with catnip to sprinkle on it.