Thread: Night time growling

Night time growling

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping you can help with a little issue I'm having. I have a 5 year old australian cattle dog/german shepherd mix. We adopted him from a shelter about 4 years ago. He's a wonderful dog, playful, affectionate, and intelligent.

At night, however, he wants nothing to do with us, especially me. If I approach him he growls and postures. This can happen anywhere, if he's lying on the floor or on the bed, in the bedroom or in the kitchen. Come morning he's fine again, showering me with kisses and tail raised high.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Norm

I'm definetely not a dog expert...This is my first puppy in my adulthood and I'm taking her to a trainer because she has been growling. The trainer just told me yesterday that anxious dogs tend to get aggressive at night because they have to release their energy before bed. Young puppies will run around in circles but older dogs don't do that as much and may just tend to seem ornery. If you can, I would see if there are any dog trainers around you who could help you address his anxiety....IF that's what it is. Hope that helps.

We adopted our dog in June, also a rescue and after an idyllic summer, things changed. As soon as the eveninge began to get darker, Louie would growl and bark and act in a threatening way every time my husband walked into the room. This lasted throughout the winter and ended as soon as it got lighter in the evenings. A behavourist gave us some suggestions such as rattling a can with coins in to distract him, a water spray bottle, etc. but they were only marginally successful. My husband also took over all feeding and exercising in an effort to increase trust since Louie had no problems with me.
    In reality, it was only time (about three years) that resolved the situation and the incredible patience of my husband. I'm sure that anyone else would have returned him to the sanctuary. I should mention too that Louie and my husband were the best of buddys during daylight hours throughout this behaviour.
    Not sure if this helps but at least you know someone understands the problem.

I was wondering if this happenned after the dog got a rabies shot?
    My friend had a dog do the exact same thing one day after a rabies shot and found out it was a reaction to the shot. It lasted a couple of months and was over.

Weird, my 2 year old cockapoo started doing this in the morning! She usually follows me around while i'm getting ready for work, she has done so for the past 2 years, but now all of a sudden she growls the whole time i'm brushing my teeth. She's never had a problem with that before. I try to listen hard to see if maybe she hears something I dont (i'm sure she does) but the dogs in the neighborhood are still pretty quiet when I get up in the morning. My family works the night shift so I try to get her to be quiet by giving her a stern "No" but she tests me and continues to growl but not as loud.

Does he have a hard time seeing at night? Are the lights on when you approach him?

I ask, because I was sitting in our living room one evening with my Grandma's Miniature Schnauzer watching TV (no lights on) when my older brother (he's almost twenty) walked into the room with his sweatshirt hood up over his head.
    Molly growled, jumped off the chair, and ran over to him barking fully intent on taking down this "intruder". When she got closer she realized it was Jake and she jumped on him and rained him with kisses.

I would feel really apprehensive punishing or startling an already worked up dog, as that can just add fuel to the fire. I'd try to find a different behaviorist that works with positive reinforcement and see what she says about the issue.
    Did the behaviorist you contacted earlier give you any idea as to why he was growling?
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

puppy nighttime growling

Hi everyone,

I have a 6 month old Schnoodle, and he is a sweet loving dog during the day. But occasionally, at night (usually around 9:30-10 pm) if you go to move him, he will turn and growl. No biting, just a snapping motion. Does anyone have any thoughts? Maybe he's just tired and irritable and needs to put into his crate earlier.

Thanks

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Seriously, it's that simple. When you're sleeping, do you like to be pushed and touched? I highly doubt it. We owe our dogs the same respect. It's not normal or appropriate for any animal of any species to enjoy poking and prodding during sleep. If you don't like where your Schnauzer/Poodle mix usually falls asleep and you often have to move him, then put him in his crate earlier and avoid it all.

HELP! Did you ever figure this out?

Did you ever figure out what was causing the night-time aggression? We are having the EXACT same problem with our 4-year-old doberman. He is sweet as can be all day and cuddly, etc. with my boyfriend all day until the evening... he gets aggressive towards him... and it doesn't seem to matter if we are in the bedroom, kitchen, living room, or what we are or aren't doing. It's so strange! We are feeling pretty helpless since we don't know what is causing it!

Quote Originally Posted by s5555 View Post
    Did you ever figure out what was causing the night-time aggression? We are having the EXACT same problem with our 4-year-old doberman. He is sweet as can be all day and cuddly, etc. with my boyfriend all day until the evening... he gets aggressive towards him... and it doesn't seem to matter if we are in the bedroom, kitchen, living room, or what we are or aren't doing. It's so strange! We are feeling pretty helpless since we don't know what is causing it!
    Hmm, has he had a vet check lately? Any changes in his environment? Any new family members or anything?
    I've Been Frosted

Its difficult to short out your problem. Generally dog growl for several reasons, he may growl if someone make him angry or irritate to do something. Take advise to a Vet.