Thread: Fawn had the sniffles

Fawn had the sniffles

Almost all of last week, Fawn had breathing problems, because his breathing passeges were nearly totally plugged up. I took him to the vet last Thursday, and had him checked over. The vet also took a blood sample from him to check for feline FIV and FLV -of which both came out negative. Fawn has had this problem ever since I could remember, since he was born. But I have seen it come and go. But last week was the worst case of it I could remember. Yesterday we had another weather front come through and his stuffyness has totally cleard up. In fact, yesterday afternoon, he slept at my feet under the computer table and under my foot-warmer infra-red lamp. His breathing sounded terrible, like a child with a stuffy nose. But after the new front came through, his breathing cleared up within about 1 hour!. And yesterday evening he was up to his usual tricks again, that is instigating games of "chase" with the other furkids. It got so bad, because some of them were beginning to fight each other, (but not him, ) that I had to squirt him with a spray bottle of water in order to get him to calm down. He had returned with a vengence for being sick. Now I am sure that his breathing difficulties are caused by mold or pollen content in the air.

Has anyone else observed periodic breathing problems with their furkids?

........wayne

I know Connie's (momoffuzzyface) Leonardo has a tough time with allergies. Hopefully she'll see this and share her thoughts. I know that his allergies are greatly affected by changes in weather! My Mr. B has asthma but with that comes the "coughing." Hope that sweet Fawn is feeling better! {{{hugs}}}

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Gosh, that sounds a lot like Basil....he sounds wierd when he breathes sometimes and does that sneezy/coughy thing. His eyes even drip....I've taken him to the vet twice for it...the first time, they said it was conjunctivitus and gave us amoxicilin. The next time, he just gave us some gel for his eyes.

He's still doing his sneezy/coughy/eye drippy thing....I swear it's allergies...because, like you said Wayne, during the rains this weekend, he was fine...

I wonder what they do for kitty allergies?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I wonder if certain medicines we use would help cats? I wouldn't do that without talking to the vet...but I wonder.

My hubby's sister had a cat who they saw was szchitophrenic (whatever!) and the vet prescribed Dimatap as an anti-depressant. Not sure how true that is...
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

OK on the amoxycilin, this is what the vet gave me also, to give to Fawn. Yet, with each dose, there was little improvement, at least not for the long term. I returned to my vet's office Monday and told them that the problem was more than likely caused by pollen and mold in the air. I hope that they will remember this so they can identify this allergic response to any other furkids who might come in with the same symptoms. I will check the weather channel for frontal acitvities next time Fawn has tis reaction and will have to take note as to which direction they are coming from, whether it is the west, northwest or the north. I am thinking those from the west are the main culprits because of the miles of prairie land (with flowers and weeds) they cover before making to eastern Kansas.

.........wayne

May want to make sure it isn't feline herpes... my cat, Jasmine, has it...apparently it is common, and can be spread quite easily (not just an STD). Jasmine had to have eye surgery a few years back. Since she's allergic to steroids we have to buy her vitamins to add to her food. It is a pain in the butt for all of us. Anyway, just mentioning this because one of the first signs she showed was sneezing/really runny eyes and breathing really hard. Don't wait too long to find out what's wrong...if you think your cat is having problems, schedule a vet appointment. I almost lost my Jazzy and I can't imagine what life would be like without her.