Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat drooling after teeth are pulled

Cat drooling after teeth are pulled

My 16/17 yr old cat had 3 teeth pulled last friday (10/25). He was fine yesterday but today i notice hes drooling from the side that was the worse (2 teeth pulled on that side incl the canine). The meds i have is clavamox drops (one ml 2xs a day). Ill be taking him to the vets tomorrow for a re-check. Why the drooling (he drooled big time prior to the teeth extractions) ?

He is probably still in pain from the extractions and can't use the muscles on that side of his jaw yet.

I was going to say the same thing - his jaw is probably still sore, and so keeping it closed would be painful. And as he is a cat, he is not self-conscious about drooling like a person might be. Glad you're already taking him in for a recheck, just in case!
    I've Been Frosted

I adopted buddy a lil over 14 yrs ago. He was kicked out of a neighbors apt cause she was pregnant & due any day & didnt want the cat to suffocate her baby (thats what she told me).
    I named him buddy cause he was friendly to everyone incl the cat haters. He does have a good appetite & hes 15.3 lbs (a lil chubby). Why was i given a 1/2 bottle of clavamox instead of a full bottle ? I paid $22.00 & should of received a full bottle. Right ?

Ask your vet about the price.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That's just the way Clavamox is. They mix 14cc of fluid ino the powder, and there is still room in the bottle so that you can shake the stuff up thoroughly. You did get 100% of the clavamox, it's just not manufactured in such a way that the entire dose fills the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    That's just the way Clavamox is. They mix 14cc of fluid ino the powder, and there is still room in the bottle so that you can shake the stuff up thoroughly. You did get 100% of the clavamox, it's just not manufactured in such a way that the entire dose fills the bottle.
    Exactly this. Depending on the size of the bottle, when it's reconstituted it will not be filled up 100%.

Sometimes (actually, pretty commonly) cats will drool after being given oral medications, especially liquid meds like clavamox. Do you notice drooling all the time or close to when you've given the antibiotics?

As others have mentioned, it can also be associated with pain. Were you sent home with any pain medication or just antibiotics?

Clavamox was the only thing my vet gave me to take home. Buddy was not drooling as much today as he was yesterday. He has sneezed a few xs & the drool just hangs from the side where the canine was removed. Its cost me $250.00 to have 3 teeth pulled incl the meds. The humane society of san bernardino wanted $300.00 & their procedure involves alot more such as a iv & catheter. Buddy is a very loving cat esp around kids. Thanks for all the replys.

Why the sneezing & sometimes runny eyes ? The vet on the phone said his sneezing is not related to the teeth extraction so its a seperate office visit ($38.00 + meds). Im barely working & i told him that. He wouldnt budge. The humane society would be cheaper + their meds are not as expensive.
    Last edited by steel; 10-30-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Its been 5 days since the surgery. Buddy is still drooling from the worse side. Is that normal ?

Phone the vet and ask.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by steel View Post
    Its been 5 days since the surgery. Buddy is still drooling from the worse side. Is that normal ?
    Surely your vet will see you on a free dental follow-up visit if you're concerned about something not being right since the dental? We offer free surgical follow-ups on every single surgical case, the only additional cost might be if additional treatment or medications are needed, but we don't charge an office visit. That's just good medicine to follow up on your own work...

facebook

According to the vet today he believes the sneezing is related to the dental work. Buddy still has a sore (redness) gum & the vet gave me clindacure 25 MG/ML ($18.00). Buddy lost 8 ounces in the past week (15.2 to 14.6). The vet said thats not abnormal considering the teeth extractions. Buddy is eating & drinking fine but not as much prior to the surgery. Its been a very rough week for buddy & i hope he doesnt lose anymore weight even though hes a lil chubby.

It has been a lil over 3 weeks since buddy had 3 teeth extracted. Hes still drooling & has lost 1.2 lbs in 3 weeks. I took him to the vet today & he told me he believes buddy has a tumor in his mouth. Ill know for sure whats going on next weds when they sedate him & look into his mouth. Buddy became violent when the vet looked into his mouth & used a long swab. If buddy does have a tumor their is nothing i can do even if i had the money which i dont. I will have him put to sleep at the humane society. They have put down 3 of my cats (ages 12, 13 & 15) in the past 10 or so yrs.

I am so sorry to hear that suspicion

facebook