Thread: litter genie

litter genie

I saw a Litter Genie a few weeks ago at Target ($15) and thought I'd give it a try. I have trash pickup at the house, so all I have to do is take the dirty stuff outside, but honestly it's a pain to try to find a bag to put everything in and sometimes I just don't want to go outside just to dump kitty litter.

I love this thing! I scoop the box every day now since it's right next to the catbox and I don't need to find other supplies or go dump stuff afterward. I only have Toby now (Havoc went to live with my parents) and the LG will hold about 10 days worth of dirty litter before I have to dump it. It was juuuuuust beginning to smell at that point, and only when I had the little trap-door open to drop a fresh load.

I've only had it about 2 weeks but I like it so far. I am considering getting one for my parents, because they do NOT have trash pick up at their house and they have to store their garbage in the garage until they make a trip to the dump. Week old dirty kitty litter isn't pleasant, as most of you know, LOL.

Has anyone had one for longer than a few weeks? What is your long(er)-term opinion of it? My only forseeable issue is that the only place I saw the refills for sale was at Target, although I'm sure I can find them online. I'm nowhere near the point of needing a refill yet though, so I have time to shop around.

We will have to wait for the Target stores to open, or maybe ask at PetsMart!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I want a real genie to come and clean the litter boxes for me and make the litter clumps just disappear.

Thank you so very much for posting this! I've seen the ads on tv for it and am definitely interested in getting one. An endorsement from a PT friend seals the deal.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

not sure how well it would work for a multi-cat household but it works great for one cat. If you have a whole bunch of cats I imagine you'd have to dump it more often. The bottom half of it is where all the litter falls so when that part of the bag gets full, you can't slide the trapdoor shut any more.

here's an x-ray view for those of you who are curious how it works: the collection bag is over 10 feet long and wadded up around the rim of the refill. Just pull down about a foot (enough to reach the bottom of the collection bin) and tie a knot in it. Drop your clumps in the top and open the trapdoor to let them fall into the bottom. When the trapdoor shuts it holds the bag shut and seals out the odors. When the bottom part is full, there is a blade inside so you can pull down more of the bag and cut off enough extra to tie it up for disposal. Then just pull more of the bag down, tie a new knot and start over!

One of my cat-sitting clients has one of those for her two cats. I thought it was interesting but don't know how well it would work for my six.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I LOVE mine. In fact, when I adopted a 2nd cat, I bought another one! So easy to scoop, drop, and dump it in the bag. And, no odor at all! I used to use plastic garbage bags and a trash can, but no matter how tight I tied them, they smelled beyond belief.

I just wish I had bought them sooner. Two thumbs up!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I