Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Central

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Hurricane Central

It looks like all of us PTers from the Mid-Atlantic to the Cape, could be in for some nasty weather come Monday. I can't believe that the little "nothing storm" that we were hearing about, has turned into a potential monster storm named Sandy (sorry Sandie! ) Time to check your emergency supplies and make sure you have enough to get by on for a couple of days at least, and if possible, fill a bathtub with water too. Keep a sharp ear for the latest day by day reports, and if it does strike your area, please do what it takes to stay safe!
    My granddaughter who goes to college in North Jersey, lives in an oceanfront condo leased by the college for upperclassmen. I hope they have evacuation plans for them. But she already has a plan - she and her boyfriend will go inland about 20 miles to his grandmother's house. At least I can rest easier knowing that! Whew........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

We're ready (I hope our trees are, too!). We'll early vote on Sunday and hunker down to see what happens! Stay safe, Ellie!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Pomtzu, we could have some "fun" with this storm in western Pa. area too. The weather forecasters are tossing around the word "snow" for us out of this frankenstorm. Everyone one on the east coast: Please batten down the hatches and BE SAFE!!

I was listening/watching the weatherman this morning on tv. It does sound as if this hurricane could be a terrible storm. I'm in central NC and 2.5 hrs from the coast. Once in awhile we have high winds and have lost trees I think this one is not supposed to affect my area very badly. I feel sorry for all of you who might be affected if this storm comes your way. I'll keep watching the weather. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers... Kay in NC

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    We're ready (I hope our trees are, too!).
    Oh yeah - I hear ya. It's not the trees I worry about, but what's in their path if they come down! We have tall pines (about 40 years worth of growth) for about 300' along one side of our property line - and not planted by us and not on our property - and the garage could be wiped out if one in that vicinity came down. On an even mildly windy day, you can be outside and listen to them creak and groan and snap - makes me jittery as all get-out! One came down some years ago, but it was way back from the garage and there was nothing in it's path.

The latest prediction I heard, Maggie, has the storm coming in along the Chesapeake or Delaware Bay. Are we ready??? Of course, it could take a lot of different directions before then - Monday is a long way off when it comes to what this storm will do.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Pet Talker sandtatsxxx11 is out there too. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. This sounds like a bad bad bad thing.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First time in my life time we have reach the "S" names and have a storm with my name - figures it is a quirky one! Some are calling it "Snowcane Sandy" with the possibility of snow.

I spent an hour and half this morning getting all the loose branches cut up and in a barrel (not in the garage) and putting away all the stuff we had out for summer. Surf is already up along the RI coast.

I am all set for batteries and lamp. We've been told to prepare for several days without power. Next, I need to address food for me. The dogs and cats are all set, their closet is packed full with food and treats, ha haaa!

Looks like we may have to postpone Halloween! We had that early snow storm here last year and up around Woonsocket RI to Worcester Mass did that for the Trick or Treaters.

Praying and hoping that everyone will be safe and there are no casualties.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Sending prayers and positive thoughts to everyone on the east coast.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I am curious what will actually happen, as there are so many different predictions at this point! We have food, water, blankets, flashlights, a few candles, an UPS for the computers ... and a gas fireplace as well. But that is nothing abnormal!
    I've Been Frosted

We are skee-roo'ed if we lose power - the house is all electric, plus we have well water and with no power - no way for the pump to pump it. We don't lose power often enough to invest in a generator tho, so we'll just have to rough it.

I'm going to cook a chicken and pick the meat off and put in the freezer - cold sandwiches are good. I'll boil potatoes and put them in the fridge - cold boiled potatoes are good too. Then there's always peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as long as there's still bread left in the stores tomorrow. Myndi has enough food to last her for weeks and we'll stockpile plenty of water tomorrow while we can, and mix up several gallons of tea and juices.

Plenty of lamp oil and batteries, and I'll make sure my Kindle is charged so I don't die of boredom. We are getting well prepared, so that means we won't need to be. That's the way it usually works - when you aren't prepared you get slammed - when you are prepared, then the storm fizzles.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Prayers and good wishes for all our East Coast friends..

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

When I heard about this strong storm, I began to think of just how many PTers who
    live in the East & along the Eastern coastline. A lot. Good luck to all of you & stay safe.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    We are skee-roo'ed if we lose power - the house is all electric, plus we have well water and with no power - no way for the pump to pump it. We don't lose power often enough to invest in a generator tho, so we'll just have to rough it.

I'm going to cook a chicken and pick the meat off and put in the freezer - cold sandwiches are good. I'll boil potatoes and put them in the fridge - cold boiled potatoes are good too. Then there's always peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as long as there's still bread left in the stores tomorrow. Myndi has enough food to last her for weeks and we'll stockpile plenty of water tomorrow while we can, and mix up several gallons of tea and juices.

Plenty of lamp oil and batteries, and I'll make sure my Kindle is charged so I don't die of boredom. We are getting well prepared, so that means we won't need to be. That's the way it usually works - when you aren't prepared you get slammed - when you are prepared, then the storm fizzles.
    We have a generator - and wouldn't be without it - no matter how infrequently the power goes off. We connect it to a plug on the outside of the house - this connects to a panel inside, and we switch on whatever we want. We have the well, furnace, refrigerator and some assorted lights connected. This way we can always flush, and keep food safe. And in the winter stay warm.

I was able to get a portable generator during our big flood in 2008 and it was a lifesaver - I had to use it again last year for three days after a big storm that caused massive power outages due to downed trees. I can't say enough about what peace of mind it brings to have it. It's costly to run (over five gallons of gasoline a day), and it doesn't power the whole house, but it keeps the essentials going.