Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Taboo, food"

"Taboo, food"

There was a show on one of those 'discovery' type channels on satellite the other night, it is a show about 'taboo' subjects. The show that was on a couple nights ago, and they ran ads showing a poor dog that was about to be EATEN! this made me very very angry and i refused to watch the show. Other cultures may eat dogs and cats but i object to this, cats and dogs look at us as their friends/packmates and i think it is betrayal for people to kill and eat them. And no, I do not eat meat of any kind.
    Owned by a demanding cat. Lol

How horrible , lalania !! I once saw people eating brains out of an ape's scull ; I nearly fainted !!!

oh that's just SICK, we're so closely related to apes too....SOME PEOPLE are just twisted and evil I SWEAR!

Not very appetizing I agree! I eat meat, but the thought of eating a companion animal just grosses me out. I do realize, however, that it is a cultural thing. I had a Taiwanese Socialogy prof at school that told us about his culture and what was considered delicacies and we all just about got sick. The monkey brains thing about did me in.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

some ppl eat the brains while the animal is still alive, as far as I'm concerned that is just sick and wrong.

I'm definitely not arguing that one!

How gross!! I know that people in other countries have to eat those kind of things in order to survive!! Scary! On fear factor these people had to eat live slugs. That is really gross and mean because the slugs are living and they are getting killed by people eating them. Plus, they are slugs! Wouldn't they like eject their slime for protection or whatever they do?
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

I didn't even think slugs are technically edible, I thought they secrete some kind of chemical...*shrug*
    People that do mean things to animals don't have a conscience as far as I'm concerned.

The scary thing is that these practices are NOT survival motivated since they pay BIG bucks for these "delicacies" (forgive the spelling....I'm sick!lol)

looks okay to me!

Oh good, I'm so glad I'm not TOTALLY braindead today!! God I feel like crap! And we get to get "dressed up" or at least dressed up for us since our main fashion statement is jeans, to go out to dinner this afternoon!! lol

I think it's a bit ethnocentric to call people "evil" for eating dogs. But you are on solid ground, as you don't eat animals of any sort.

I think it is evil to eat live animal's brains. I don't see how could anyone would look into a dog's eyes and then kill it ...ick.

I love meat, but I would only eat herbavores (plant eaters), not carnavores (meat eaters)... Meat eaters eat plant eaters, not meat eaters eat other meat eaters... thats just wrong.... & I think humans r the only warmblooded creatures that eat live food, As far as I know all other warmblooded meat eaters kill their food first, so there is less suffering to their dinner (which is fine by me)... but eating monkey brains while the poo rthing is still alive, it 100% wrong & unmatural !!!

A thought on animals as food...

Contrary to popular belief....Cats and dogs that are eaten in other countries look nothing like we think... they are hairless and raised specifically for food... while they also have other dogs which are strictly pets that they would never dream of eating.. how is this any differant then cows, rabbits, chickens or anything else we might eat... I have personally had many pet chickens who thought of me as the leader of thier flock.. I was thier companion.. yet I eat chicken... do you think that the animals we are eating are less social then dogs??? most people think pigs are twice as intellegant and social as dogs... yet we eat them... ??? I dont think I would personally eat dog or cat meat.. yet I do not think less of those who do in societies where it acceptable.... I do believe that the animal.. no matter what it is should be dead... live monkey brains..YUCK... I also do not condone the live frying, dismembering or boiling of animals.. which is how crabs, lobsters and many other seafood items are cooked.

In everyday life we disgust Hindus who believe cows are sacred, eat pork which many societies do not condone and Might I add we have most of the dirtiest animal production facilities in the world.
    Titania

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."
    --John Muir

Clockwise from top left: Alice, Myrtle, Moo Shu, Griz and Nando