View Poll Results: Who will win the presidential election?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • B. Obama

22 47.83%
  • M. Romney

13 28.26%
  • "None of the Above" would be nice

6 13.04%
  • Too close to call

3 6.52%
  • Doesn't really matter to me, since nothing will change for the better, anytime soon

2 4.35%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who will win the election - POLL

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I don't understand the voting system you have... do you really need to tell someone who (or what party) you vote for? Here, everybody get a voting card by snail mail, you bring that to the school where you vote, queue up and give it to the person sitting by one of several numbered tables (it says on your card which table you go to). Then you give the person your card, he/she finds you on a list, you get crossed off and you get your list with all the parties, then you go into a box and put your cross. Outside, you put that in a big box, and someone is watching you during the whole procedure. That's how we do it.
    Yes we can register as democrat or republican so we can vote in those primaries, another words if you are a registered democrat you don't vote in the republican primaries which basically chooses who will run for president on the republican side.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

What I don't understand is that you have to register as a Democrat or a Republican. Why should anyone know that?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    What I don't understand is that you have to register as a Democrat or a Republican. Why should anyone know that?
    You don't have to register any party affiliation if you don't want to - you just have to be registered to vote tho. I am registered as "independent", tho not of the Independent Party. It simply means I will vote for who I think will do the better job, and not feel obligated to vote as a Dem or Repub - just because I registered as one.

ETA: Just to clarify a little further.........For instance - even if I was registered as a Democrat, I don't have to vote for a Democratic candidate - I can still vote for whoever I choose.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

4. Just a point - there are states with open primaries. Sometimes only one party has an open primary - which I believe is the case here in California. In Illinois it was all open primary. That means I do not have to be a member of the party in order to vote in the primary - but of course you can only vote in one primary! I would vote in whichever primary interested me.

Funny story with that...years ago my sister, who lived in Newark New Jersey was interested in the Republican primary. She asked for a Republican ballot at her polling place. Having never been asked for one before...they had a hard time finding one!

Randi, declaring a party means to get to vote in that party's election to decide who will be their candidate. In the primary there may be say ...five people who want to be the Republican candidate and four people who want to be the Democratic candidate. Rather than have all nine run against each other - the party holds a "primary" election to determine who will represent the party - one from each party. So it is a two step process.

Ahhh, I thought this was cute:

Not everyone seems to be happy about the election!

From what I read here, the entire voting system sounds a little confusing to me as well with these open primaries and everything. Here in Germany, it's pretty much the same as Randi described from Denmark, you don't have to register anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post

From what I read here, the entire voting system sounds a little confusing to me as well with these open primaries and everything. Here in Germany, it's pretty much the same as Randi described from Denmark, you don't have to register anywhere.
    Awww, that little girl must have read this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post

First NPR makes her cry, now Bronco's supporters say this:
    http://twitchy.com/2012/10/09/new-ci...f-romney-wins/

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Is "retard*" one of those names called?
    I believe YOU just did.

Aren't you proud?

In the last election I heard many people including my neighbros say if Obama wins I will move to another country....guess what...they didn't move.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Buddy_Lee View Post
    I believe YOU just did.

Aren't you proud?
    Really? Who did I call that?

Aren't you silly?

Thanks for explaining, but like Kirsten, I still find it a little confusing.

When we vote here, we can choose to vote on a candidate, or on a particular party. No party will get the majority of the votes, so they have to work with usually two other parties to get anything passed. There are 179 seats, so the parties who has 90 seats together will have to negotiate to get anything passed.

To start a new party, in principle it takes 20,000 signatures, but the system is so heavy that in reality it takes more like 60 to 80,000 signatures.

This will explain it a bit more detailed and you can see which parties we have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Denmark

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Wow, Randi! Is it hard to keep track of them all and what's going on, when it's time to vote in Denmark?

And do your political battles there get as nasty as they do here?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I don't understand the voting system you have... do you really need to tell someone who (or what party) you vote for? Here, everybody get a voting card by snail mail, you bring that to the school where you vote, queue up and give it to the person sitting by one of several numbered tables (it says on your card which table you go to). Then you give the person your card, he/she finds you on a list, you get crossed off and you get your list with all the parties, then you go into a box and put your cross. Outside, you put that in a big box, and someone is watching you during the whole procedure. That's how we do it.
    Here? You vote for who you want to lead the country, they count the votes and someone else wins.

---------------------------------------

Political discussions rarely are civil.

I have seen rational people act like idiots because a point or side is challenged.

Ma had a saying and it fits the people who are so enamoured of an idea (person) that they cannot see any other point of view.

Por el culo, le miran el sol.

I don't own sunglasses, so I am immune to the idea.

-------------------------

A guy in the office was whining about the president and just being an obnoxious turd with his comments.

I told him that I wasn't happy about another president getting oral sex in 'my office'.

He stopped and asked me "Your office?"

"Yes, my office, my taxes pay for that office........" I answered.

He stopped the convo, walked around the corner and a few seconds later he said, "You A**hole."

I stopped typing and waited for the followup comments.

About a minute later, he said something like, "I didn't call you an a**hole, I was saying that to another person"

We were the only two people in the office.......

------------------------------

So?

I don't ever take anyone's political views/stance seriously anymore.

The "together we stand as Americans" idea is nice, but when politics enter the picture, all bets are off.

It's just an excuse to insult each other, act like fools and then carry on for the next 1300 days, like nothing ever happened.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The hope part stay eternal.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Here's another little dose of modern American politics.

http://theulstermanreport.com/2012/1...back-time-wsi/

15. Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post

No party will get the majority of the votes, so they have to work with usually two other parties to get anything passed.
    Randi - you have just defined the essential difference. Although there are small parties here that may appear on the ballot there are really only two parties - Democratic and Republican. One or the other will get the majority of the votes. And they do not - as we have seen the last four years in spades - have to work with any other party.

(p.s. - we can vote a straight party too - or candidate by candidate)