Thread: Chihuahuas:In need of help

Chihuahuas:In need of help

im thinking of getting a chihuahua but i dont kno anything about them except they are tiny any help?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First off, they are generally a one person dog. They will get along with others in the family but prefer one person over the rest.
    They don't take well to strangers. They have a tendency towards hypoglycimia since they have very little body fat from which to draw energy.
    They make GREAT doorbells when someone comes up in the yard or knocks on your door hehe.
    Adult Chis don't usually intergrate well with children unless they were brought up with them.
    They are highly intelligent and comical at times. Most of mine will pick up food and either munch on it in a seperate location or try to bury it in the middle of the floor, and then be surprised you can still see it when they get done burying it.
    One thing to look for when shopping for Chis is weak stiffles or knees. Hold the prospective pup in your hand on its back. If the back legs cross they stand a chance of having knee problems later in life.
    Having a Chi is like having a 2 year old all the time. They are always into something and picking up various little "tidbits" off the floor and carpret just like a youngun.
    Another thing to be wary of is an open fontenael. Most all Chi pups have one but the smaller the better. I have one that is 3 years old and he still has a open font. Most will close within the first year but its still something to look for.

Chi's normal lifespan is around 16 to 20 years. Currently my oldest is 13 but I got him very late in life as a rescue. Poor guy was horribly abused before he came to me.

You just can't beat a Chis loyalty though, in my book.

My boyfriend has a female long coat chi who is MUCH friendlier than any smooth-coat I have ever come across. I don't know if it's just her, but she is a big love. She would gladly walk off with any stranger willing to give her attention (although I think she'd regret it later ^_^), and she adores Brian's five year old nephew, despite his.....enthusiastic affection. Plus, I think the long coat is way cuter than the short coat...but that's probably just me. ^_^

Here she is! Yay Stella!

Stella is on the right, the Pom belongs to our friend.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Lizzie, we have two long-haired chihuahuas and they are really great pets if trained properly. Ricky, our 2 1/2 year old went to puppy preschool which is where they train the owners on how to train the puppy.
    From day one, we exposed Ricky and later Lucy Tu to people. We took them to Camping World, Home Depot, Pet Smart, anywhere that allows little dogs and let people pet them while they sat in the shopping cart. We always take them with us when we go on RV rallies and everyone sits around the campfire and we do the "pass the puppies" game because everyone wants a chance to hold our angels. So the key to owning a chihuahua is training and socializing.

Chi's Rule!!

I have only one male chi, but I'm absolutely in love with him!! I never thoght I would like a small dog, but he is great. I can take hime everywhere! He goes to the mall, resteraunts, bars, vacations ectc... He is very popular in my area. The thing is that all dogs have thier own personalities and so you really never know what you will get. I do agree the more a dog is out in the world the better all will be! Chi's can have health problems that are genetic so do plenty of research and check out the breeder. I have posted a link that might help you in your quest of knowledge. Good Luck!

http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/chihua.cfm
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

How sensible of Cisco's Mum to give the Chi enquirer such a useful link so that she may seek a sound,healthy specimen of the breed.
    She should also make it clear when seeking a pup whether she is looking purely for a pet dog, or one that may be suitable to exhibit in the show ring. This does not mean that the pet dog may be any less healthy, or attractive, but might differ from the breed standard in some small way that would bar it from a successful show career Chihuahuas are the greatest, and I will stick my neck out and say that, having kept dogs of various breeds all my life, they are one of the most intelligent - and they love their owners to death. Go on girl, get a Chihuahua.
    Juanita

CHIHUAHUA

hey,

I have alot of chihuahuas..lets see I have about a total of 6 chihuahuas some long haired some shorthaired.LiKe you were saying about the chihuahua behavior.

They act so funny but so loving toward you.like for example I have this chihuahua male named bandit and whenever he gets excited he runs in circles.Also I have this other chihuahua who sits in the window mostly all day and guards the house and whenever some one or something walk buy he barks so much and runs into the back yard tobark.Angel on the other hand she is a lap dog who is so sweet and gentle and relaxed.Zeke is so funny , whenever someone walks he jumps up and bites their hand not hurtful just playful.So I guess what I am trying to say is that they are the best breed out there I think and they act lie they are the king of the hill which is so funny and whenever I come home I love to see them wagging their little tails and their beady eyes looking at you saying hi..its so cute..I think you will love the chihuahuathat you might get. I hope this helped you in your decision making...good luck
    chihuahualover*

I had my first chihuahua back in 1984, Toby he lived until 3 days before his 16th birthday in December 1998, now we have 4 girl chihuahuas, 2 are rescued, 2 are not, 2 are longcoat and 2 are smoothcoat, they weigh as little as 1-2 kilo, 1-3 kilo, and as big as 6lb-9ozs and 8lb, I am a real chi addict and would never have anything but chihuahuas now, i also collect chihuahua things,i think ive got it bad,lol.

How lovely to read all the posts from fellow Chihuahua lovers. Arturo, my 8 months old long coat is sitting on my knee as I type.

May I please wish Chihuahua folk and all dog owners who visit this wondeful site a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Peaceful New Year.
    Juanita

I have a chihuahua and he is so cuddly and fluffy and friendly and really playful. He thinks he is really big and he chased away 2 dobermans so he's a good guard dog. I recommend a chihuahua they are great