Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my two little kittens...

my two little kittens...

Hello, my first post here. My name is Kim...and I was wondering if anyone would happen to know (since my kittens are very rarely outside), if they really need to be vaccinated against FIV and FELUK...the only animal the are ever around is my friend's dog...play dates for our year old named Hamster...and I was also wondering, I will be taking our 7 month old to the vet for her to be declawed, and and as I was looking over the charges of what everything will cost and I noticed that the Vet Tech added on the FIV and FELUK vaccines without even asking if we would like the vaccines done...is that even logical for a animal hospital to do something like that...adding on an extra charge vaccine that has absolutely nothing to do with the declaw..thank you Kim...

First, why get your kitten declawed? It is a painful procedure, and is not really necessary, as kittens can be taught to use scratching posts, and some people even just trim their cat's nails, and have no problem. And if not done exactly right, it can continue to be painful, and lead to sore paws, behavioral problems and an unwillingness to use the litterbox, too.

You do need to get those vaccinations, it is in the best interest of your cat for its future. While right now your kittens may not encounter other animals, you never know when you may have to board them somewhere in any emergency, or they may accidentally get out and encounter an affected animal, or even run into one at the vet's office or anything. It is a "better safe than sorry" thing. I would save the money by not getting it declawed, and get the vaccines instead!
    I've Been Frosted

Also, i moved this into Cat General, as "Today's Cat" is the forum just for discussing today's Cat of the Day!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    When I was in my 20's, I had more money than brains. Really hate to admit this, but me and my ex had 6 cats and we got them declawed. We loved them intensly. They were all indoor cats and alone 9-10 hrs. a day as we both worked. Long story short, brand new condo, the kitties tore apart the wallpaper, underneath the mattresses, anything they could find was shredded. they were just havin' good cat fun but it added up.They had toys, scratching posts etc. they still went to town when bored. These were adult cats, between 3-6. Got them declawed. I would never do that now but it seemed like a good plan at the time. Now I think it is cruel and weird. Just sayin'.

Please don't get your cat declawed. You can just learn to trim your cats nails monthly or if you're still worried about it scratching things then you can buy and apply soft paws to it's nails although I think it's much easier to just keep the nails trimmed. Many cats that are declawed will develop behavioral problems later. Many will start biting because they can no longer use their paws to scratch. Many will stop using their litter box because the litter now hurts their paws. Please reconsider having this horrible surgery done.

I currently have 10 indoor only cats and none of them are declawed. I trim their nails with a toenail clipper at least once or month or as needed. I have both my couch and recliner covered with a courdoroy fabric cover so they're protected. I also have many scratching posts, cat trees, and cat condos. They do use these to scratch on.

Kittens only need a series of FVRCP shots. If they are indoor only they shouldn't need the FIV or FELV shots. Your kitten should be tested for these though. Also depending on where you live, your kitten may also need a rabies shot. Most vets now do regular shots every 3 years instead of yearly. I don't recommend the 3 year rabies shot because it's been shown to cause cancer in certain cats. The 1 year rabies shot is much safer.

I have a wonderful vet who doesn't believe in overvaccinating. I don't either. In the past I was forced to vaccinate every year but I also didn't know any better at the time. I don't vaccinate for rabies now because my city doesn't require it for cats and my cats are indoor only. Yes, some of my cats have been vaccinated for rabies in the past. I do recommend kitten shots. My kittens already came with all of their shots. Now I just bring in my cats for annual exams without any shots. Only if it's necessary will I have my vet give them shots. My vet also told me that cats over 10 years old shouldn't get any more shots. Here's a good website that talks about the overvaccination on cats and what is recommended: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=vaccines. Please scroll down towards the end to because there's a lot of great info there as well.

Does your 7-month-old give you a reason to consider declawing? Does she have a scratching post, sisal or a kitty tower that she can dig in, pull and scratch? Cassie was front-paw declawed when I adopted her. If she isn't destructive, would you consider keeping her claws? Even if she has scratched something she shouldn't, I would hope that at such a young age, she could learn to use a sisal or scratching post.

On the vaccines, I hope your vet would allow you to refuse the ones you don't want. My cat is indoor only and she does get annual rabies doses because the village I live in requires proof of annual vaccinations. Our vet doesn't offer the 3-year rabies vaccine.

Welcome to PT! I hope you'll share pictures of your kitties -- I love kitty photos! (I love kitties!)
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Hello Kim
    I was also thinking of declawing my cat a few years back then
    I read what they actually do.
    I dont know if you researched it but here is a link
    if you would like to read up on it before you make a decision
    http://www.declawing.com/ What you need to know

My little brat scratches things even though i have towers and the cardboard scratchers
    Some things i also had to put the double sided sticky tape on.
    I love her to death so I just deal with it....

We would love to see pictures of your babies

Please don't declaw if you can help it. And check on certain vets and get client reviews. Some vets are very sloppy with it. Trimming nails is much better. So are loads of cat trees. If you can afford the surgery, you can afford several cat trees. Mine love the kitty-only furniture. Cat's need to scratch; it is part of their nature. I sprinkle their trees with kitty nip, too. And don't stick the trees in a corner at first.

Is there a reason only one is being declawed?

Mine get rabies because it is required. The younger ones do get some vaccines for a few years. You also never know when your neighbor's dog might have contact with another cat that is sick.

Please consider what we have said here.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

There is a test that your Vet can do to seep if your Kittens have either one of those diseases.
    I had Ebony Beau Tubster and he did not look infected but he was sadly
    I would not declaw either Mr Scrappy had so much trouble when he got older as he could not scratch his back , and he licked himself clean and had dandruff.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Yes, get the shots.

No, do not have kitten declawed. IMO (and others) it is cruel and really not necessary. I saw video about it(cant recall the site) but if you search YouTube, more than likely you can find video of it being done. Basically the end of their toes are cut off--terrible. My cat died in Aug 2012 but counting him and all my cats in previous years, I've a cat in the house for over 40 years and never ever thought about having him declawed. Yes, I always had some kind of scratching post or scratching pad.

Please do NOT declaw your kitten. How would you like half of your fingers cut off!? You can get the soft paws nail caps.
    http://www.softpaws.com/
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I don't agree about the shots. FIV shots are ineffective. FeLV shots are not needed if the cat is indoor only. They only need FVCRP and Rabies.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

"Declawing" is a euphemism for "amputation." That's what "declawing" is - amputation of the ends of the toes. Who would do this to a baby???? How would YOU feel if the ends of your toes were removed - all of them? Would you be able to walk the same? Would you have phantom pain? Routine amputation like this should be outlawed! It's a cruel abomination and unnecessary. I have a couch that's 33 years old; how many cats do you suppose have passed through that room in that time? The only thing wrong with it is its age; it's not been clawed at all. Of course, I do supply lots of cat trees/condos/scratching surfaces. Nothing you own - absolutely nothing! - is more precious than that baby!

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

Are you 100% certain that it wasn't a FeLV/FIV TEST that was on the estimate? Any new cats should be TESTED for these diseases, but indoor cats do not need the vaccines, and I would be shocked to hear of any vet recommending the FIV vaccine, since it makes the cat test positive for FIV from that day forward.

They have little protectors you can....

Please reconsider having your kitten declawed, they say when they are declawed they have to learn how to walk on the palms of their feet. Second if you have her declawed and some how she gets lose outside she will not be able to protect herself from other cats. They have these covers for their nails they sell at a pet shop they come in different colors so they are cute. And then you will not have to have her suffer through that operation. Google alternatives to declawing, and you should find other ways to prevent kitties form scratching up your furniture. Please reconsider this.

Quote Originally Posted by skimmiepooh View Post
    Hello, my first post here. My name is Kim...and I was wondering if anyone would happen to know (since my kittens are very rarely outside), if they really need to be vaccinated against FIV and FELUK...the only animal the are ever around is my friend's dog...play dates for our year old named Hamster...and I was also wondering, I will be taking our 7 month old to the vet for her to be declawed, and and as I was looking over the charges of what everything will cost and I noticed that the Vet Tech added on the FIV and FELUK vaccines without even asking if we would like the vaccines done...is that even logical for a animal hospital to do something like that...adding on an extra charge vaccine that has absolutely nothing to do with the declaw..thank you Kim...