Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Advice...

What is difficult about the animal nutrition class? Do you just need help understanding some of it, or what is involved? We can all try to help!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Bri, it sounds to me like you hate UT or just school and not the profession of veterinary sciences. Sometimes a school isn't a right fit for you. But you only have these two years left. See about tutoring and other ways to get the work done. Ask your professors and their graduate assistants. Pick a better graduate school. Make sure it is a fit for you.

A lot of times these programs are tough because they want to know who really wants to do this.

I take it you are working while in school? Find out what you can do to make this easier on your self. Many doctors are several tens of thousands dollars in debt when they graduate. Sounds obscene, but that's the way it is. But vets make good money. You can get it paid off.

Wishing you luck with your decision.

Note: I almost quit college 2 years in and joined the navy. I changed my mind and I don't regret it. I'm doing what I'm meant to do.
    I do hate UT and school, lol. But I used to love UT. I'm sick of everything about it there though, and their classes do suck. I hate all of their science classes because the professors suck. And I hate my nutrition class I'm in right now too.

I know they're tough for a reason, but I'd have to go back and retake at least 4 classes to even be eligible for vet school, so being a vet tech was always another option. We had a lecture from a vet tech at one of our Pre-Vet association meetings and it sounded really awesome so I think it's where I'm meant to be, even if I don't make anywhere near as much as I would as a vet.

I'm not working while in school. That's one of the family issues going on right now in addition to some other things.

I feel I'm not meant to be a vet anymore though.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    What is difficult about the animal nutrition class? Do you just need help understanding some of it, or what is involved? We can all try to help!
    Everything about the class, lol. I'm just going to have to take it for small animals and large animals in vet tech school, so it's really not a big deal to drop it... I missed an exam the other day and can't get my professor to get in touch with me to make it up either. He's very sporadic and spazzy so he's hard to follow... I'd rather just take it later on. I appreciate the help though

Also, I just submitted my application for vet tech school! Gotta get my transcripts and ACT score all sent in.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13 View Post

Yeah, I'm going to do that. Just gotta check on the part time hours situation because this will drop be below 12 and that's the standard. I think I can manage to make at least a B in the rest of my classes, hopefully.

Some of the classes would be useful in Vet Tech school, but I can always take them there if necessary. I still have till the end of November/early December to bring up my grades, so hopefully that's enough time!

. . .
    ETA: I'm pretty sure that I will be failing one of my classes this semester if I don't drop it.
    OK so you ARE working on the situation, that is a GOOD thing! In college, I loved my major; junior year I had one class in my major discipline, which I just could NOT get. I too was facing a fail. I dropped the class BEFORE it went on my transcript as a fail. It just shows up as W (withdrawal). It did not figure in to my GPA. And while I worried about it for a bit at the time, this was the right decision for me, and it worked out fine long run. Keep track of the deadline to drop the class and get a W (or whatever they use now, at your place) and get the paperwork in!

Okay, I had something written and then the computer back-paged on me and I lost it. ARGH!

If this really concerns you, do it. Especially if you really can't stand UT. And give an honest appraisal/evaluation of your professors and their program to administration. Please consider finishing undergrad degree while working as a tech and go to a different vet school later. I almost quit undergrad and didn't. I don't regret it despite all of the recent crap. I am doing what I was meant to do.

Don't just settle for a vet's office for a job in animal welfare. Find one that suits you.

Some tough love: don't let your mom affect your future. Worry about you. She is old enough to work. Give her some tough love and some intervention. You are legally old enough and you can do this in any legal or moral fashion. (not thinking you would resort to low tactics; just wanting you to know I wouldn't either.)

Find homes for your critters so you can visit and be sure of their care and health. And bless your boyfriend for insisting you finish school. As a vet tech there is just so far that you can rise on the totem pole.

Good luck with your decisions and your future.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I would try to stick with it. Of course you can get burnt out easily. Going to school isn't fun and of course college is more advanced than high school. It may not be easy, but I promise it will be worth it for you in the end. I believe in you and you should believe in yourself. Don't let anyone get in the way of your dreams. I know you're passionate about animals and I know you have worked so hard. But, you have what just one more year? Just go for it, don't give up on what you want most right now. In the end it will be worth it, I promise. Also, maybe you can intern at a shelter if they allow it.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I keep thinking about this and it keeps bugging me sorry but the mom is coming out... You need to make school a priority, you are getting financial help and this time in your life won't come around again. My daughter lives in the library that is what it takes with hard classes, sorry don't get mad but you have allowed yourself time for a boyfriend so your priorities are not on school. Please don't be offended I know its no fun to go to school and sit in the library all the time but you will be glad later.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Blog Entries
    Hate to admit this but formal education, unpleasant as it is, usually pays off. No one really enjoys formal education, but it certainly teaches you dicipline and how to train your brain to arrive at the place you need to be. On SO many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    I keep thinking about this and it keeps bugging me sorry but the mom is coming out... You need to make school a priority, you are getting financial help and this time in your life won't come around again. My daughter lives in the library that is what it takes with hard classes, sorry don't get mad but you have allowed yourself time for a boyfriend so your priorities are not on school. Please don't be offended I know its no fun to go to school and sit in the library all the time but you will be glad later.
    Computer did it again.

I lived in the library. School was the focus. Sacrifice now for your future. And a boyfriend or a husband does not provide it. At least not in the self-esteem area. If you really want to do this, you can get the degree and go on to vet school. I still have to go to school and take courses I really don't need to satisfy the state's re-certification requirements.

You know we'll support you either way, but you really need to try harder. I survived three years of hell at my last job because I wanted to retire. I still got four years to go, but I got 3 years closer.

You can do this.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I can only echo ten times what Caseysmom has said. I heard excuse/cop out each word you wrote. Life isn't easy, college isn't always easy, but odds are- it will pay off. I know we have a few on this board that want to jump in and talk about options other than a college degree- but-that is, and will continue to be- a minority view.

Putting off your education only makes getting it harder for many reasons. Allowing your mind to trick you into a new want or a new career path is redonkulous. Going from a "boss" like position to a "employee" position is a really bad move. It is selling yourself short, not to mention eliminating many, many opportunities.

Your BF should be threatening to leave you for this choice- if he puts you first, and understands the value of an education. You are totally not seeing the long term implication of your rash, immature thought process. You have, usually, ONE opportunity....this is it/yours, and you are blowing it. You won't re-enter school (not if you are like the majority that drop out), you will rue the decision years later, and you will have wished someone would have kicked your butt for your thoughts right now.

I can't stand to see someone so young, with SO much ability, lose focus.

I wasn't going to be a vet and was going to end up going to vet tech school long before now. Vet school is extremely competitive, and it's not something I want I don't want to go to vet school anymore and I decided that a long time ago, long before I ever even had a boyfriend, which is exactly why it doesn't factor into my decision.

And again, Michael has absolutely nothing to do with my decision to leave UT. He supports me no matter what I do, and is adamant about me finishing school, which I'm going to do.

AND Just because I'm leaving UT doesn't mean I'm going to not go back to school. Yes, I know that the majority of people who quit don't go back. But I'm not the majority of people and I don't plan to be.

I don't want to finish a degree that is completely useless to me and waste money that I'm going to have to pay back when I could be going to vet tech school where I want to go and already heading towards my career.

I don't want to go through vet school worrying about how I'm going to pay back all of that money I'd have to take out in loans, and I don't want to spend my time at a university that I hate and doesn't care about their students.

I know college isn't easy and I've experienced that countless times, but it just seems like a waste to put all this effort into something I'm not even going to use because I'm not going to vet school.

If I really wanted to, I could always finish vet tech school, go on with that for a few years and go back to school to apply for vet school later.

But I've made my decision, and I want to go to vet tech school after some time off.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Your thread said "need some advice" you got some advice do what you will with it, if you already made up your mind not sure why you asked for advice. A degree shows you are educated and can complete something no matter what its in, where I work I do hiring I would always hire someone with a degree in ANYTHING over someone without one, just my two cents since you asked for advice. Your bf does factor into this, he is time away from studies, it is not your college's responsibilty to get you through it is yours and you aren't taking care of it.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Your thread said "need some advice" you got some advice do what you will with it, if you already made up your mind not sure why you asked for advice. A degree shows you are educated and can complete something no matter what its in, where I work I do hiring I would always hire someone with a degree in ANYTHING over someone without one, just my two cents since you asked for advice. Your bf does factor into this, he is time away from studies, it is not your college's responsibilty to get you through it is yours and you aren't taking care of it.
    I did need some advice, and I wanted others perspectives. I just love how everyone assumes I'm not going to do anything or go back just because I take a couple of semesters off before going back to school.

I'm still going to have a degree, I don't get why that's an issue.

Michael doesn't factor into this, because he has nothing to do with my decision. As I've said.

I know it's my responsibility to get myself through college and it's what I've been doing for the past two and a half years. But I'm tired of UT and Animal Science and the thoughts of going to vet school, again, as I've already said.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Bri - it's not really any of my business, but what do you plan to do with your time off before/if you go back to school? Get a job??? - if so - in what field that will allow you to support yourself? Get married or co-habitate??? - does your BF have a good job and can he support the two of you and your animals, and God forbid - any children that come along?

I've been around a lot of years, and have seen girls with the same plans/ideas, that you have now. All good intentions and they look great when put on paper, but ones that almost never work out. Unless you're fortunate enough to step in doo-doo and come out smelling like a rose, then these are all just grand plans - ones that never work out as you just knew they would.

But if your mind is made up and you won't consider any of the advice that has been given to you here, then there's really no sense in beating a dead horse. Most of the people that have offered you advice here (and you did ask for advice), have a lot of years experience under their belts and really do know what they're talking about. Life is difficult enough, without making it more so, and we all just hate to see you throw it all away - for what???

It will be interesting to see just where you are 5 years from now. I hope it's in a good place and you are happy with the decisions that you are making today.

Good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

The semester is just about half over, correct? I would say finish the semester. You've already invested the first half. That way you will have the entire fall semester on your transcripts.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

She has already said she intends to finish this semester.
    I've Been Frosted