Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Advice...

Finish your semester. That's what I did at Kent State. I finished it out with the best I could and then I took a 3 months break, then applied to Ohio State. Everything worked out on its own after that.

Alright I'm going to sound old here. I met my boyfriend in college also. But that was in 2007, I was 23 and he was 24. Almost 6 years later down the road, to today, I'm 28 and he's about to turn 29. We now live together. We have been living together for almost 9 months. Are we engaged? No. Not yet. It's in the plans, probably next year. We are not in a rush, but I know it will be soon because we have talked A LOT about it - type of wedding, rings, etc. We took our time, PAINFULLY slow! It was a really good thing what we did because we've learned SO MUCH about each other every day. I'm very happy. So is he.

But hey, you know, I'm not going to lie, that first year I met him, my grades fell. I spent EVERY free time I had with Mike, and that wasn't smart. I just got too wrapped up with being in a new relationship and being with this amazing, wonderful man. It was my fault, so what did I do? I realized I couldn't change what happened so I got back on the horse & bounced back and got those grades up and did so much better. I realized, it was FOR ME, not for him. Now what do I do? I graduated with a degree in Art in 2009, took me a while to finish school because of switching schools & juggling my grades. But I FINISHED college. I even thought of dropping out. When I think about that now, geez, what the freak was I thinking? I was not thinking clear back then.

I PROMISE it will get so much better down the road, JUST do what is right for you at this moment. I can see you are doing that already so do not lose focus of what YOU truly want in life.

Hope I made sense! I just feel like I have been in your shoes, just... be careful. Don't put all your eggs in one basket! I am just wondering, how long have you been dating Michael?
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

One of my teachers in the vet tech program I went through (The top one in CA and one of the best nationwide) was in charge of intake for vet school at UC Davis for years. He said that he ALWAYS loved to see on vet school applications that someone had been an RVT, since they then had a much better idea of what they were getting into, as well as knowing that they could handle the job.

There are a LOT of things you can do with a degree as an RVT. I manage a retail pet store. Other people who graduated with me are pet food representatives, going to vet school, dog trainers, running a doggie day-care, one is a feline behaviorist, one works in a local kid's zoo, at least one works for fish and game, and one is in further training to become an "animal cop". This is just people that I know of, in ONE graduating class of vet techs. There is no end to the places that this could be a starting point for...

Personally, I went through somehting somewhat similar with vet tech school. I got to within a month of graduating, and realized tha the job was pure hell for me. People in the veterinary field suffer from burnout and compassion fatigue, and in my area one of the results of that problem is that people in the veterinary field here are VICIOUS to one another. It was always ALWAYS the vets vs the techs vs the kennel people vs the receptionists. My sister in law has a thick skin and handles it all with grace. I do not, and I did not. I found myself riding my motorcycle to work one day thinking "Gosh I hope a car runs me over so I don't have to go in today", and I quit the next day.

I may not be making a ton of money managing a feed store, but I love it, and I feel like it will look better on my resume later to have been a successful manager of a retail store than to have been a failure as a vet tech.

Random: I met my husband while I was in vet tech school, got engaged three weeks later, and married less than a year after that...our relationship had nothing to do with my performance or my decision to leave the field, so I have no idea why this keeps being brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post

Personally, I went through somehting somewhat similar with vet tech school. I got to within a month of graduating, and realized tha the job was pure hell for me. People in the veterinary field suffer from burnout and compassion fatigue, and in my area one of the results of that problem is that people in the veterinary field here are VICIOUS to one another. It was always ALWAYS the vets vs the techs vs the kennel people vs the receptionists. My sister in law has a thick skin and handles it all with grace. I do not, and I did not. I found myself riding my motorcycle to work one day thinking "Gosh I hope a car runs me over so I don't have to go in today", and I quit the next day.
    You were one month away from graduating with a two year vet tech degree and you quit? You didn't finish?

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Bri - it's not really any of my business, but what do you plan to do with your time off before/if you go back to school? Get a job??? - if so - in what field that will allow you to support yourself? Get married or co-habitate??? - does your BF have a good job and can he support the two of you and your animals, and God forbid - any children that come along?

I've been around a lot of years, and have seen girls with the same plans/ideas, that you have now. All good intentions and they look great when put on paper, but ones that almost never work out. Unless you're fortunate enough to step in doo-doo and come out smelling like a rose, then these are all just grand plans - ones that never work out as you just knew they would.

But if your mind is made up and you won't consider any of the advice that has been given to you here, then there's really no sense in beating a dead horse. Most of the people that have offered you advice here (and you did ask for advice), have a lot of years experience under their belts and really do know what they're talking about. Life is difficult enough, without making it more so, and we all just hate to see you throw it all away - for what???

It will be interesting to see just where you are 5 years from now. I hope it's in a good place and you are happy with the decisions that you are making today.

Good luck!
    I'm not getting married till Summer 2014. Well, right before Summer 2014 in June unless something comes up and we have to move it to a later date . I'm going to get a job (or two) and save money in my time off so I can relocate.

Michael had a job when he moved in with me (due to him getting kicked out of his house) but had to leave that job as it was a 40 minute drive from where he was relocating to. So he's on the job hunt with me.

I don't see how any of this is throwing my life away because I'm still going to school and getting a degree, I just need time off... I wish people would stop doubting me as they've always done and have a little faith that I'll actually do something, because I know I will.

Thanks for the good luck and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryWolf07 View Post
    Finish your semester. That's what I did at Kent State. I finished it out with the best I could and then I took a 3 months break, then applied to Ohio State. Everything worked out on its own after that.

Alright I'm going to sound old here. I met my boyfriend in college also. But that was in 2007, I was 23 and he was 24. Almost 6 years later down the road, to today, I'm 28 and he's about to turn 29. We now live together. We have been living together for almost 9 months. Are we engaged? No. Not yet. It's in the plans, probably next year. We are not in a rush, but I know it will be soon because we have talked A LOT about it - type of wedding, rings, etc. We took our time, PAINFULLY slow! It was a really good thing what we did because we've learned SO MUCH about each other every day. I'm very happy. So is he.

But hey, you know, I'm not going to lie, that first year I met him, my grades fell. I spent EVERY free time I had with Mike, and that wasn't smart. I just got too wrapped up with being in a new relationship and being with this amazing, wonderful man. It was my fault, so what did I do? I realized I couldn't change what happened so I got back on the horse & bounced back and got those grades up and did so much better. I realized, it was FOR ME, not for him. Now what do I do? I graduated with a degree in Art in 2009, took me a while to finish school because of switching schools & juggling my grades. But I FINISHED college. I even thought of dropping out. When I think about that now, geez, what the freak was I thinking? I was not thinking clear back then.

I PROMISE it will get so much better down the road, JUST do what is right for you at this moment. I can see you are doing that already so do not lose focus of what YOU truly want in life.

Hope I made sense! I just feel like I have been in your shoes, just... be careful. Don't put all your eggs in one basket! I am just wondering, how long have you been dating Michael?
    You and Mike are adorable btw .

I'm definitely going to finish. Michael lives with me, as I just said, so I see him pretty much 24/7 anyway. He's always, always told me I need to finish school and I will... just not at UT. I know that I can do better in vet tech school because I'm fairly certain that I'll be happier there since it's what I want to do. I just feel like I'm getting nowhere near my goals at UT.

Thanks for the support, Rachel!

I will be careful. We've been dating almost 5 months. But like I said, no marriage till at least Summer 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    One of my teachers in the vet tech program I went through (The top one in CA and one of the best nationwide) was in charge of intake for vet school at UC Davis for years. He said that he ALWAYS loved to see on vet school applications that someone had been an RVT, since they then had a much better idea of what they were getting into, as well as knowing that they could handle the job.

There are a LOT of things you can do with a degree as an RVT. I manage a retail pet store. Other people who graduated with me are pet food representatives, going to vet school, dog trainers, running a doggie day-care, one is a feline behaviorist, one works in a local kid's zoo, at least one works for fish and game, and one is in further training to become an "animal cop". This is just people that I know of, in ONE graduating class of vet techs. There is no end to the places that this could be a starting point for...

I may not be making a ton of money managing a feed store, but I love it, and I feel like it will look better on my resume later to have been a successful manager of a retail store than to have been a failure as a vet tech.

Random: I met my husband while I was in vet tech school, got engaged three weeks later, and married less than a year after that...our relationship had nothing to do with my performance or my decision to leave the field, so I have no idea why this keeps being brought up.
    That's what I was thinking. If I do decide to become a vet later on down the road, then I can always take some extra courses and apply later.

Thanks for sharing your story, and I'm glad you are happy doing what you do!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    You were one month away from graduating with a two year vet tech degree and you quit? You didn't finish?
    I finished my degree, but quit working in the clinic. Luckily I had enough hours worked to graduate. I was genuinely feeling that I'd rather get run over than keep working there, so I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't had enough hours.

As someone who went back to university three times I can vouch for the fact that it gets harder each time. The first time I worked 5 years between going and the second time I worked 2 years. Each time I went to a different university. It is interesting to see how each university has it's own "personality", so it is perfectly reasonable that UT is not the right fit for you. When I attended the University of Calgary I realized that was not what I wanted and the school was not a good fit. But the other schools were a much better fit for me and I finally found something that I enjoy doing.

So do what you need to do to finish out the semester. Recoup and start up with the vet tech certification. The one suggestion I would give you once you finish the vet tech program is to continue taking classes, even if they are cake decorating or dancing (they do not need to be related to what you are doing). This will keep you in the "habit" of attending a class.

Good luck with things and the semester is just about over!

Lot of red flags going up but sounds like you only want the advice that goes along with what you want to do so I am zipping it.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Lot of red flags going up but sounds like you only want the advice that goes along with what you want to do so I am zipping it.
    Oh yeah - me too!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

My advice would be:
    Education & schooling of ANY KIND is way more important than anything else at your age.

Even if you don't continue at the University of Tennessee, and don't continue in the program you are in - don't take any time off. Don't stop or you won't go back. You may have the intentions to go back... but life is funny and will get in the way. Don't stop going. Alter your path if you must, but don't stop completely.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Bri, I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time with school. I completely understand the sciences are not easy and are labor intensive. You know what you want, if you decide to leave UT make sure its because its what you want not because its hard.
    One thing you did say though is that you do not like the sciences. You do realize 90% of Vet Tech school is going to be science classes right? You are going to have to take biology, anatomy/ physiology, nutrition, etc all over again. Are you prepared to do that?

Take a semester off to get your priorities straight and what you want figured out. I would never advise anyone to take more than that off. It is extremely unlikely you'll go back at that point.

Only you know the true reasons for you wanting to change your major. That's okay- it happens all the time. However, make SURE you do figure out a major you want to do. Living on 11.25 an hour on my own with little help from my parents has really put into perspective how hard life is and has given me the motivation I have for school. Cause truth is, no one wants to struggle forever! Get it out of the way now!

Sometimes, people overlook the fact that life, with the grace of God, extends over decades of time- with much (most) of spent working. Life is expensive. Doing what you love, what you have a passion for, what you love as a 20 something (or even 30 something ) sounds wonderful. It really does. When you factor in a mortgage, a car payment, health insurance, the utilities, grocery money, food/vet care for your animals, it loses its luster a bit.

Think long term. Think about tomorrow, and the thousands after that. Think about making enough money to support yourself and your habits. It is the dirty truth that many people wake up and realize at some point- money does matter. And, in this country, *usually* more education = more money. And, *usually*, in this country, more education = more opportunity.

Quitting anything, dropping out of anything, has more to do with the individual than it does with the program that is being dropped. I went through this myself, and many people don't know this about me- mostly because it is a huge failure on my part, and I hate that I did it. I entered a master's program for public administration. I took two classes (it was a part time program), and dropped them both. My reasons? "I changed my mind", "it was too hard". Really? I quit on myself. I let those voices in my head govern my behaviour. I had no one encouraging me to stick with it, and I had no one reminding me that life isn't always easy or convenient. I had nothing but excuses, and it is still something to this DAY that I regret. Now? with a full time job, my law degree, and a small child? No way. Can't do it, without taking away from my child. Sure, I am *fine* (well, some people think that), but it is still something I regret doing. No way was a master's program in public administration more difficult than law school, which I entered two years later, and successfully completed.

Bri- I am super sorry to hear about your decision. I do think you will come to regret it.

Vet techs do NOT make a glamorous living. In fact, I barely make enough to cover my bills and pay off my student loans from going to school. And I am registered!!!!! If I was not living with my boyfriend and splitting utilities/rent... I would probably still be living at my parents. And that's the sad truth. But my current employer also terribly underpays us.. I should be making at least $2-3 more an hour than I do... Hence why I am looking for another job

But remember, as a tech, you are not limited to only working in small animal clinics. You can go into many different fields... research being one that I know makes an ok pay, and food companies pay a decent amount too...

Point being... you have to do something you love.. regardless of pay... if making money is something that is important to you, then a vet tech is not the route you wish to take.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Point being... you have to do something you love.. regardless of pay... if making money is something that is important to you, then a vet tech is not the route you wish to take.
    That is such foolish, youthful advice. Most of us need $$ to live. That one also loves what one does is a blessing. But, to say "regardless of pay..." yikes.

I agree with Danielle, if you really hated Science, you wouldn't enjoy Vet Tech School anyway.

I to, am a little concerned with your decision. No one here is saying you HAVE to go on to Vet School, hell, you don't even need to be a Vet with the Animal Science Degree. I was in the FFA and we learned that there was plenty of other things that can be done. I am pretty sure you can be an RVT with that too, if that's what you really wanted. You can work in agriculture, research, Veterinary Science, go on to Grad school, etc. You just have a LOT more options with the Bachelors. You may be worried about loans, but you already have some from UT anyway, you're almost done, I think you should just finish to.

Last year, I was so ready to give up on being a Science Major because of one math class, one math class. I actually went as far as changing my major to Xray Technology, something my parents wanted. I knew and still to this day know I would have regretted that a hell of a lot. If I got lucky and had gotten a job in that field (with a little research I learned that it is not so easy anymore), I would have been miserable thinking of what could have been if I had just worked a little harder. I always think of selling myself short, and still do sometimes, but it always comes down to my ultimate goal. I've learned from my internship and newer experiences what I was meant to do and just because I don't do well in a MATH, doesn't mean I can't achieve it. I may be in under grad a little longer, I may have to go to grad school, I may have to move to some remote area for a little while for a job, but at least I know if I keep my grades up, gain experience, do internships, and keep learning I can come up with some sort of resume, get a entry level position in the Fish and Wildlife service or some other Gov't Agency related and start from there (or even look in the private sector). Life wasn't meant to be easy, and that took me FOREVER to realize. and guess what? I passed my math class!

I wish you luck in whatever you decide...just my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    That is such foolish, youthful advice. Most of us need $$ to live. That one also loves what one does is a blessing. But, to say "regardless of pay..." yikes.
    Well you obviously need money to live. The point I was making is if you want a huge salary, then being a vet tech is not the profession you want to be in. And being a tech is definitely one of those jobs you must love, regardless of the pay, because you don't make a lot. Period. But someone has to do it. I don't consider this "youthful, foolish" advice when this is very relevant.

facebook