Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
A veterinarian I know sees a lot of chihuahuas in her Florida practice, and refers to them as "lap gators." I don;t blame the breed, but the fact that owners thing these small dogs don;t need training and structure, so the dogs end up thinking they are in charge, which is never a good thing. Every dog, from the smallest chihuahua to the largest mastiff - they ALL need basic training at the very least. And with strong dogs like pitties, or large ones like Saint Bernards, for example, the earlier you do the training the better. It is easier to deal with an 8-pound puppy, than 50 pounds of muscle, or 125 pounds of enthusiasm when one is leash training a dog, and your shoulder socket will appreciate it, too!
I totally agree with you Karen, its not the breed it is the owners. as I live in the UK Pit-bulls are a banned breed but only because of stupid so called tough guys who use them for fighting or to show off as a [I'm a hard man] attitude. I would personally put these people to sleep. Sorry to butt in this attitude makes my blood boil. lol Also I have a 14 stone Newfoundland and like you say if he was not trained properly he would be a nightmare.