Thread: Pit bull Debate

Hybrid View

Pit bull Debate

Hey everyone!

As some of you know, I have an adorable little pitbull named Lola. She is extremely sweet and playful and has no aggression toward people or other dogs. Basically, we've had her since she was tiny and she's been spoiled and coddled ever since lol.

Despite her regular visits to the dog park down the street, she is still a pitbull. We still face prejudice everyday. People with small dogs grab them up and glare when she comes over to sniff around and say hello. She's never bitten or been rough with a little dog, but they don't know that, and so I just let that one ride. I tell them that she is still under a year and is only trying to say hello.

Well, I wanted to see what other dog-lovers have to say.

I found a site that brings up a ton of really good pit bull facts. I love that they show the tiny percentage of pitbulls that have fatally attacked people. Much lower percentage than other breeds. Although I don't believe this exonerates pits in any way, I do want to know what you guys think about it.

What do you think about breed legislation?

What have been your experiences with pitbulls? Sweethearts? Vicious? How were the owners?

I am opposed to breed specific legislation. It is the owners, not the dogs, we need to worry about!

As I have small dogs, I always give pitties a wide berth. Also Mastiffs. And other dogs with those square powerful jaws. I have no way of knowing if the owner is responsible or not. And as I am always out with 4, if just ONE of mine decides to start something, we are all in big trouble.

Two of my dogs react to dogs with dark faces, so I always have to move away from those as well - pitties, black labs, Aussies, border collies, GSDs, even pugs if they have the more traditional black around the eyes.

If I am out at the Farm with my dogs off leash and a large dog of any breed is about and I don't recognize it, I call my 4 back to me. The 4 of them charging up to an unknown dog can be overwhelming! And I've seen a few feel threatened and raised the hair along the back (these were not pitties and not even dogs with dark faces). I especially have to leash Lacey; her way of greeting ANY dog is to charge up to them snarling and air snap at the nose. Assuming the dog just stands there -- and oh I am so amazed how many do! -- she then goes about her business sniffing the field, doesn't even bother with a butt sniff to the other dog. She has made her point (in her mind): I am LACEY, don't mess with me! If she only knew, lol.

So, me leashing up my dogs is as much about me knowing MY dogs as it is me not knowing yours.

I agree with Freedom. It's not the dog, but the owners.
    I was walking my dog through a fairly busy park and didn't notice a dark colored pit sitting in the shadows. I don't judge dogs because of their breed so I just walked on as usual. The dog lunged at my dog barking and going crazy. The owner wasn't even holding the leash, it was wrapped around a branch/bush. I had to pull my dog away and avoid falling in the pond at the same time.
    I glared at the man and said "THANK YOU!" in the most sarcastic way. He just sat there and didn't move a muscle. He barely turned his head to look at me. He didn't even flinch when his dog went after my dog.
    After I walked a few steps away I turned around to him and said "I'm not mad at the dog, it's not the dog's fault". But he was an idiot and couldn't have cared less. I was sooo mad! I felt so sorry for that dog.
    It's those people that have given pits a bad rap. One of my closest friend isn't even afraid to express her dislike of pits. She is a dog lover, but does NOT like pits. It's very sad.
    Anyway, I do not agree with breed restrictions. I know some Chihuahua's that are more agressive than some big dogs. And I'm sure there have been more bites by Chihuahua's but they do not make the news because they don't cause as much visible damage. Whatever.....
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I am a kitty person who was raised around dogs. I have to admit to two breeds to which, as Freedom said, I give a wide berth; Dobermans and Pit Bulls. I can't help it. Also, I live in the greater Baltimore area - this is a breeding ground for irresponsible dog owners who use those breeds for things other than to be family members. I shudder to think what some of them go through.

That being said, I have had close contact with several Pit Bulls with no trouble at all. My husband and I went into a small wine tasting room in New Hampshire last winter. I opened the door and greeting me by jumping up on me were two good sized Pitties. They were as sweet as could be. The owner apologized immediately and put them back behind the bar; she didn't think anyone else was coming in that afternoon. I didn't have any trouble with them, I gave them both attention and they were fine. I have also attended events for the local SPCA where dogs are invited, as well as some dogs from the shelter being available for adoption. As I said, this area is rife with Pit Bulls, so there are many for adoption. There has never been an issue there either.

I don't agree with breed restrictions; I do think you need to have common sense when confronted with any animal.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I am also a Pit Bull owner to a crazy dopey lovebug named Brennan .

He is an "Ambassabull" for the breed with a local rescue in the area.

I've had worse experiences with other breeds of dogs than that of Pit Bulls. Brennan has a slight bit of dog aggression towards dogs that are larger than him, but it's managed pretty well as long as they don't get up in his face. I walk him with a gentle leader and get a lot of prejudice and comments about that. People assume it's a muzzle and "It's good that I have my vicious dog muzzled" when he's sitting there wagging his tail looking happy and wanting people to pet him .

I'm highly against BSL, obviously. There's a town fairly close to here that's facing possible BSL right now, which is rather worrisome. Hopefully it doesn't expand, though there are several counties in TN that have already implemented BSL.

I couldn't imagine life without a Pit Bull now though. They are one of the best breeds of dogs I've ever owned and even though Brennan is about as bright as a burnt out light bulb and pretty crazy, I wouldn't trade him for the world .
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I am happy I live in a state where the governor has recently signed a law outlawing all breed-specific legislation.

Suffice it to say, studies have shown such legislation never works anyway - the dog fighting people either move more underground, or switch to a different breed and keep going.
    I've Been Frosted