Thread: I have a very sad story to tell :( and I need your advice to help me....

I have a very sad story to tell :( and I need your advice to help me....

I have a friend who's got a friend with a dog. Let's call him (the dog owner) V. He's about 21 years old, your typical college punk.

One year ago, he brought a very adorable jack russell mix from PJ's pet store into his small bachelor room to please his girlfriend. After several months, they broke up and so the dog lives with the guy. The guy was never a fan of animals, let alone a person who actually have feelings for dogs.

Anyway, I never knew how he treated his dog, and everytime I go to class with him I ask him how his dog is doing. He always tells me how his dog is naughty, chews things up, barks and makes a lot of noises. I always give him textbook answers to these common dog behaviourial problems but he never seems to follow them. And sometimes i ask him if i can host his dog at my house for a few days so she can play with my daschund, and he was always glad to.

Anyway fast forward to last night. I was talking to V's friend and he told me V just came back to Toronto from a 4 day vacation. I ask him who's taking care of his dog during these 4 days and he said nobody. So I ask him what about the pooch's food and water? He said he is starving him for 4 days because he thinks she's too fat and his house was out of dog food anyway I'm like WTF? This is nuts, no dog can survive 4 days without food?? I ask him what about water and he said he drinks out of the toilet. I was outraged, and I called V immediately so I can take the dog home and give her some food and warmth. I then went to his apartment to pick up his dog, and surprise, he came back from his vacation and STILL didn't buy any dog food for her.

So I took her home, and let her out to meet my home daschund, Piper. Piper is a really gentle guy, we never give him beatings and he is never ever aggressive to anybody or other dogs. Lily (the jack russell) was very insecure, barking constantly and never settling down when she sees Piper. I've never seen a dog this aggressive to another dog before. Me and my sister separate the dogs in separate rooms for the night but Lily barked the whole night as if something's bothering her. Needless to say I didn't get any sleep.

This morning I call V and tell him the dog is well and fed well. I told him about his barking problems and guess what V's solution to this was? He told me to give her beatings, not just a slap or a punch, but a KICK to the BACK END as if she was a soccer ball.. I couldn't believe it. I was like wouldn't this hurt the dog and he said nah, it's fine, she's always happy and jumping around after beatings. Just pet her good and she'll be fine, he said. I asked his friend if this is how he treats his dog, and they all confirmed it - Lily will only listen to commands and stop all mischief unless she get a beating. There is this one time, they said, when he beated her so severly she vomited blood. After a few days she was back to normal again so V thinks he saved the vet fees, they said.

So this is how Lily was raised - based on beatings. I could not bear myself to think how miserable her life would continue to be if I return her back to V tonight. But I have to get rid of the responsibility, because i have a lot of work due next week and I can't take care of a dog who will fight my other dog when unleashed. I thought they could get along.

He admitted it himself that he never liked the dog. So I asked him why don't you take it to the humane centre so other familes can give her a loving home, and he said those people are more cruel to animals (like, yeah, whatever!!!!! ).

My sister is strongly suggesting that I surrender Lily to the humane centre tonight without V knowing. I dont know what I should do to save her life.

this is a picture of her.
    She can be very gentle, she gave me licks on the face last night... She's the way she is right now because of the way she was raised.

Can you please give me advice?? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

PS- PJ's pet store IS THE EVIL. If they had the tiniest sense to protect their animals they should have done a through evaluation of the adopters before they sell their dogs. Apparently they did not do that with Lily's sale. They sold Lily to V for $800 canadian dollars.
    Click to see pictures of my Paws and Claws!!

I'm not even sure where to start! The store probally got the dog from a puppy mill and it that is a whole nother issue...all about making money. So, no they don't care who buys the dog. Regardless, that is not the dog's fault and NO DOG deserves a beating for anything!!!
    This guy sounds like an $%#hole extradonarie. I would do anything in my power to keep him from getting that dog back. Are there JRT rescues in your area? What about an animal cruelty division of the police? Do you know anyone else who could take the dog?
    Personally, I think this guy needs to be taken out in beat til he vomits blood. Then maybe he could be more reasonable (doubt it)

Good luck....let us know what happens

Do NOT give her back to him. SHe needs help, and if you cannot keep her, which I understand, get her to a JRT rescue society or a humane society. He does not deserve the dog, does not want a dog, and does not care for her, so please, do not give her back to him. Call your vet, ask if they have any suggestions.

omg!! what a Loser! i wa sso freaking out and have a lot of words i'd eliek to type here!!
    get lily away from him!! i can't suggest anything because i don't know much about how SPCA or shelter things or whatever works. i feel so sorry for lily. this is so sad.
    good luck...its so sad how such a sweet dog could be treate dlike this

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

That jerk deserves a good beating with a steel pipe and starved for a week!!!! He is just too stupid to live!!!!! I'd report him to the authorities.

What a sweet little dog she is. I think with a little work, patience and re-introduction might help the situation. Afterall, look at the environment she came from. She was abused and shows all the signs. You might want to alert the Jack Russel Terrier Rescue and let them know. Here's a link to a rescue organization in the midwest. Maybe if you call them they can tell you where in your area they might be located.

http://www.gravid.com/jrtrescue/

I hope it helps. And, I hope you don't even THINK about returning that sweet precious little dog back to that asshole! Did you consider calling his ex-girlfriend to see if she'll take her??

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

This guy is a sociopath, get Lily out of there any possible way you can. Tell him she ran away while pottying or somthing. Do whatever you can to get her away from him. God Bless you!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Like Head Bunny, Karen Says...Please Do NOT return Dear Lily to him...he does not deserve to have any animal!!!!!
    i agree...find a jack russel or Rat Terrier rescue group./..there are plenty online...jackrusselrescue.com....

when looking into the humane society...please find out first if they are a "KILL" facility....if they are please don't take her there!!!!....find a rescue group that doesn't put to sleep....if she has any issues at all due to her past experience...it will take time for her to heal....Thank you for taking the first and the Right Step!!!
    You should be very proud of yourself!!!!

Give her and your little one a Big {{{{{{HUG}}}}}} and an extra treat from us!!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

DO NOT give that dog back to him! ANYthing would be better for that dog than going back to him. Lie to him if you have to, but DO NOT give that dog back!!!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Like everyone else stressed, don't give Lily back to him. He will surely kill her one of these days.

NO DOG or any animal for that matter should be treated like that. Ever.

I hope you are able to find a new, loving, and understanding home for her.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Like everyone else said please don't give Lily back to him/ This guy does not deserve to have a dog ever!!
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

Oh that makes me SO ANGRY!!!!

I agree w/ shais_mom, you should tell him she ran away and give her up to the humane society. One little "white" lie is acceptable to save a life in my opinion.

You're a great person for stepping in, but PLEASE don't give that little girl back to that a@@!!!! She can't defend herself against him and she shouldn't be put back into that situation.

You're wonderful!!
    Amy

As everyone already said, please do not send Lily back to that a$$hole!! She is better off at the Humane Society where hopefully can get a second chance at a loving home. You are great for taking her for a while and it is undestandble that you may not be able to keep her, but don't send her back to V!!

OMG , never return that doggie !! How can people be so cruel ...

He can be charged with animal cruelty too. Call the RCMP (the non emerg line) and see what he can be charged with. There are lots of people who would be willing to take her in as a one dog home, and dogs that have been beaten can be trained into nice dogs again. We adopted a sheltie from a shelter and after a year he stopped biting and snapping. It was a loong process but very worth it.. he's such a great dog (he lives with my mom and dad).

Please consider calling the RCMP.. just see what can be done. Don't give her back - petcetera has no kill shelters right in their stores.

OMG! V must be insane..... whatever you do, please don't give Lily back to him.
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~