Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible experience......

Terrible experience......

......at the Palm Springs Animal Shelter.

We took a drive today, just to visit, put feelers out, maybe get some advice from someone more experienced in placing kitties, and, well, just to get a bit of a kitty fix. PS Animal Shelter is about a 1/2 hour 45 minute drive for us, but there were several of their kitties I saw on petfinder.com that I wanted to meet. I finally convinced Terry that I would NOT be bringing a kitty home so away we go.

Almost the second we walked in the door the old bag (OB) behind the counter had an attitude - as if she was soooo busy and we were bothering her. I started to explain how we just lost Robin and we're looking for a new sister for Jackie. I then tried to explain how he's blind so we need a kitty that is friendly and won't get upset when he bumps into her. OB practically cut me off to explain, "after all, we're just a shelter." I told her I understood that, but there was a room full of cats right there that obviously got along. She hrmphed and started telling me about one kitty that might work. She was listed as a year old, had had kittens "way too young" (as if to imply it was our fault kittens were having kittens and SHE had to deal with it) and blah, blah, blah. I tried to interject that I didn't want a kitty that young but she just kept cutting me off and kept talking.

We ended up with the sweetest little girl in my lap in a room when Terry asked if she was declawed - innocent enough question - and OB practically grabbed the kitty out if my lap and told us in no uncertain terms we would NOT be adopting one of their kitties because there is NO way we would pass the initial......inspection (forgot the term she used) if we intended to declaw. We never said we would or that we even wanted to, Terry just asked a simple question! Terry got upset at her attitude and walked out and she huffed off, both leaving me standing with no kitty in my arms.

Like I say, she had a negative attitude towards us from the minute we walked in. Don't know if she was having a bad day or what, but I can assure you they'd adopt a lot more cats out if sour puss wasn't around to turn people off!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Here's the link to Brenna's petfinder page. Can't see her that well, but she was a tiny mostly black with a bit of white on her face and chest. She was already bumping on me and tring to get me to pet her more just in the two minutes she was in my lap. I don't think she's what we're looking for, but she sure was sweetly!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24131889
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Wow, that is not a way to get people to adopt! I am sorry you had that experience. Too bad you aren't closer to the bay area, you could come to ARF (www.arf.net) to get a new kitty.
    There are some volunteers at ARF that can be a little like the OB you dealt with. But if any staff member ever heard it, it would not fly.

It just wasn't meant for you to adopt from that place at that time (if you do plan on going back again). You will find the perfect sister for Jack in due time.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Blog Entries
    Eeew! Nasty piece of work, that O.B. I'd like ta chat 'er up a wee bit

I am so sorry. And it's ultimately the kitty and you who lose out from such a negative interaction.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I would write an email to whoever runs the shelter, telling them what you told us. No matter what, this woman is costing them adoptions and donations, and needs an attitude adjustment. Not everyone is cut out for customer service work.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I would write an email to whoever runs the shelter, telling them what you told us. No matter what, this woman is costing them adoptions and donations, and needs an attitude adjustment. Not everyone is cut out for customer service work.
    This sounds like a great idea. Too bad you had such a horrible experience and too bad for all of the cats that people may want to adopt but this OB scares them away.

AMEN Cassiesmom!!

Deb,

I'm so sorry your had to experience this. Like Karen said, I'd send an email to the Director of this shelter. It's sad that both you AND the kitty lost out on a possibly wonderful connection due to this d-bag's attitude. Could be the reason why they had so many kitties.

Hang in there. When it's right, you'll definitely know it!!! Hope you, Terry and your furbaby are doing well!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

We have many of those in our local shelters, as well.

It is bad enough when you get a rude sales person in a store but this very rude woman is costing these Cats a chance at a FurrEver home, and that is totally inexcusable
    I would send in emails of complaint , that's so sad that a Cat that might have fit your needs lost a chance at being your New Friend.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

you have more control than I would have. I would have been so back in her face!!! For sure I would let the manager of the shelter know. If she is that mean to humans who knows how she treats animals when she is alone with them.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's just awful. That woman should NOT be there. By all means, get in touch with the management or whoever the people in charge are.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

13. Last week one of the comic strips in my newspaper had this very story line! In the end the receptionist was thinking "you aren't taking one of MY babies!". Sounds like a close relative!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    This is exactly what I was going to say. Unless the OB was the one who ran the shelter, there is no excuse for treating you as poorly as she did. Sure, everyone has a bad day, but to make that many rude comments to you is a bit much... even for someone having a bad day

facebook

I'm with the rest of the gang here. They may not know unless you tell them. Poor kitties.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)