Thread: CATS THAT CHEW also called PICA

CATS THAT CHEW also called PICA

Hi Everyone,

My names is Janette and I am new on here. I have a big problem with one of my cats. I live in the Uk and I have 6 Birman cats. I have bred these cats for about 16 years and the are adorable. However one of them chews anything he can such as my cushions, clothes, door mats, even dishcloths and dusters. He is 5 now and has had 2 operations for obstructions in his intestines. This is serious as he cant continue doing this and I have to hide everything when im not there. The word used to describe this isd PICA. I have asked my vet to prescribe a tablet called CLONICALM but hes not happy to do this de to side effects. I wondered if anyone had gone through anything like this or used this medication. Any advice will be appreciated. Many thanks

Is there one room you could confine him in when you are not home, like we would do when crate training a puppy? I know there are folks on here with experience with Clonicalm, hopefully they will chimes in ...
    I've Been Frosted

Ah, I figured it out - you have a light misspelling - the medication is called "Clomicalm" - if you do a'search here, you can find many people talking about it.
    Here is a thread about it ...

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?162837
    I've Been Frosted

I had not even heard of PICA until about a month ago. There is a program here in the states called 'My Cat from Hell' and there is a wonderful man named Jackson who tries to help people with problem cats. One did have this disorder. You might be able to search that program on the Animal Planet channel to see if there is advice on the topic; I think there are links to resources on PICA. From what I understand this is very difficult to treat.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

There are also deterents that you can spray on things, smells and tastes bad to the cat. Try here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...5&pcatid=24375

Good luck

Try....

When cats start eating different things it means that they have a lack of some vitamin or mineral. Try getting your cat a good vitamin with minerals in it.

Quote Originally Posted by janhowl View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My names is Janette and I am new on here. I have a big problem with one of my cats. I live in the Uk and I have 6 Birman cats. I have bred these cats for about 16 years and the are adorable. However one of them chews anything he can such as my cushions, clothes, door mats, even dishcloths and dusters. He is 5 now and has had 2 operations for obstructions in his intestines. This is serious as he cant continue doing this and I have to hide everything when im not there. The word used to describe this isd PICA. I have asked my vet to prescribe a tablet called CLONICALM but hes not happy to do this de to side effects. I wondered if anyone had gone through anything like this or used this medication. Any advice will be appreciated. Many thanks

Blog Entries
    I do not mean to change the subject, but I just wanted to thank everyone at PT again for the support, sincerely heartfelt graditude peeps!!! Because Spicy is doing SO well, the snow has melted and she is outside for a wee bit as the sun is a shinin' on her wee furry buttocks. She is so happy, and if she would forget that she still doesn't trust me to let her back in to her VERY clean room, she would be in paradise right now. Actually, I think she is sunbathing as we comminicate Wow can this pussycat eat! Talk about high maintenance. Love her and she has not had the REMOTEST CHANCE IN HELL to attack Mia recently. Happy New Year and all the very best to yous, eh