Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What sports do you compete in with your dog?

Hello,

I plan to start training my pup to perform agility. He already knows how to jump over hurdles (in my case wooden boards) on command. If any one here knows any good sites or has any tips on agility training please e-mail me.

Thanx a lot,
    Rachel n Bandit

------------------
    *Get a Grip Get an Aussie*

Thanks everyone for letting me brag about my super doggie. You are all WONDERFUL!

Tats and Adore congratulations!

i compete my dog daisy(4 year old sheltie) in obiedence and agility.

Well, I haven't been here a while and look what Graham did!!! Big Congrats! There is a type of agility that you actually have to stay in a specific area of the arena and call the obstacles out to the dog -- looks like Graham would have that sewn up!

There was a blue-bound book I found at PetsMart about agility and it's packed away just now, but it has all the info about different type of agility, the clubs you can contact, and how to build the obstacles. I've seen it at dog shows, too. I wish I could recall the title. I'll research it and let you all know.

Rachel -- sounds like the old "ignore" is the trick on getting that come down. Good for you. I like to recommend that aspect as it really makes the dog think you might be doing something he/she ought to be interested in.

As for Beener -- well, I have seen agility spark a dog's interest in obedience like nothing else will. It's a good time for the dog and reinforces all obedience commands. You might want to give it a try and see how he does.

I'm so thrilled that everyone is taking an interest in agility. Expecially the mixed breed owners. It is really a sport where any dog can excell and title and it doesn't depend on what "breed" the dog is like some of the other things like go-to-ground (terriers & dachshunds), or herding (herding breeds only), or anything else except flyball. Best wishes in the new year for all of you.