Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What sports do you compete in with your dog?

What sports do you compete in with your dog?

What sports do you compete in (or plan to compete in) with your dog(s)?

I have a 3 year old male Rottweiler that performs well in obedience. He got his 1st leg towards his CD in August.

http://www.freevote.com/booth/dogpoll

Please go cast your vote as to what sports you compete in.

[This message has been edited by Rottie (edited September 18, 2000).]

Just saw this post. First CONGRATULATIONS to you and Carl! Yeah! That is really soo special. It takes a lot of hard work for such an achievement. Cudos to Carl. I just started agility training with my lab, Star. She has soooo much energy and is such a little athlete, I thought this would be a terrifc additional physical/mental challenge and outlet for her. It really is great fun and she even did the "see-saw" the first time! No fear here! I highly recommend it for all dogs. We've got all kinds in our group, from wee ones to an Olde English Sheepdog! It's also just a great way to socialize them, build their confidence and let them meet/play with other doggie friends in an informal atmosphere. I'd also love to try fly ball but haven't found a group around me that participates. Star will retrieve tennis balls at full speed for HOURS!!! Anyone else try agililty or flyball? Would also love to do therapy work. With my nursing background, I think we would be great with patients. All I need is the right dog! Star is tooo active and "silly" and my husky, who was very abused, is too shy around strangers. Maybe it's time for another rescue!!?

me and my dog Zues took agility training and I hope to get to compete when there is a competition in my area. i got him in to it because he can jump six feet with out touching the fence. and can make it over eight foot fences.

Hi!
    I want to start competeing in flyball with my boxer, Nikki, next summer. I swear, she is perfect, she is so fast and she loves tennis balls! I already started doing some simple training, but the real training that you have to attend before doing the real thing starts in the summer, but it costs like 80 dollars and since I am 13 I don't have that kind of money. I'm saving up, though, starting Christmas. Nikki is going to be my flyball star!

BoxerLover! Good Luck! What a wonderful thing to save up for to have fun with your doggie. I'll be expecting updates. Good Luck to you and your Nikki!

Thanx tats!
    There is a group around me that does flyball. Actually, if I am not mistaken, Michigan is one of the best flyball states in the U.S. I will keep you updated

My Female Akita tried agility and she was to cautious/slow. It was funny to watch her go through the tunnel.
    We did try Sheep hearding with her once.
    The trainer took her out and was amazed
    and said she was a natural.
    She even had one of her regular students take
    some film of my dog.
    (I think only hearding breeds can compete in this sport?)
    I am trying that Koehler training method on my male Akita.
    If I can get my male Akita to behave around other dogs, maybe with a LOT of work I will see how he does in obedience next year at a
    fun match.

The current biggie in my family is "go-to-ground" with the terriers. My mother just got the first agility title on her 7 year-old Border Terrier and she also does flyball in Indiana (The Hurdlin' Hoosiers team). Ya just gotta watch out for the Border Collies in flyball --- they're fassssssssssst and loud. A variation on the main agility is jumps and weaves which I believe is a separate title.
    For the herding Akita, yes only the herding breeds can title, but would you be interested in tracking or trailing with her? That's open to any breed, I believe. There is also pulling which she would be a natural at.
    Tats, check out www.flyball.com maybe they can help you find a team.
    Boxerlover: most flyball teams only require basic obedience which you can do at your local PetsMart if there's one nearby. Otherwise, most teams train for flyball for cheap. I know the Hoosiers only charge $5.00 per session and then you pay your own entry fees for tournaments. Ask around.

ktreva52
    Congratulations to your mother.
    My favorite sports to watch at shows,
    is the obedience and the Agility.

My female Akita is upper middle age,
    is starting to suffer from health problems.
    (so far we hope minor), she also has a tendency to get pulled muscels on her right front leg/shoulder.)
    So at this point I am concentrating more on my young male whom is a handful.
    He does have quite a sniffer on him and
    probably would be good at tracking.
    He is a strong as an Ox, so pulling would
    not be ruled out either.
    But for now I want to concentrate on
    obedience.

Ktreva: Thanks for the info. Started checking out the site and it's terrific. So many great links, too! Let you know how it goes!

Check this out it is flyball and agility mixed togrther!! I just found the website so I'm still not so sure how it works so if anyone figures it out please tell me thay kindof wrote it funny!!!! The web site is http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mbutler/hurric.htm

You're all welcome for the info. That flygility looks kinda strange. I may check it out further, but that's funny.
    KYS: Thank you for the congrats. It took her a long time and since she's 74, it's not easy for her to get around the ring with Ben. There was one show that he jumped out of the ring to see his "auntie". He lives with the co-owner and the man's sister was sitting ringside watching and Ben jumped out and flopped over on his back at her feet. He's a registered Border Terrier, but he doesn't act very "terrierie".
    Yeah, I know how it is when one of your dogs starts getting stiff and has trouble getting around. Hope your male likes all the interesting work. We know a woman that does pulling with her Rotties and uses them in all types of "people learning more about dogs" situations (they also run flyball).
    Looked at that flygility site a bit more and it looks like they've combined flyball, agility and open obedience into one sport. Guess it was only a matter of time till someone did -- leave it to New Zealand to do it. I'll have to tell Mother about that when she gets back from shows this weekend.

[This message has been edited by ktreva52 (edited November 16, 2000).]

Boxer Lover,

You and I are neighbors...I just noticed that you are in MI and our city's are very close. There are alot of flyball teams here. A friend of mine has his dog in a flyball team. He and his dog ADORE it! My dog, although he's mostly aussie, is not very tennis ball driven. He will retrieve it once or twice but he much prefers sticks or stuffed animals. I have him in beginning agility and he's quite a natural there...that's where he really shines. He has not shown any fear towards any of the obsticals (yet) and he has oodles of fun.

There are some pretty strange breeds in my agility class and the one that starts before mine. there's this huge, tall, gangely longer coated dog...I foget the breed name but I think it's borozi. He sure does look awkward going through the tunnels and through the tire He's so tall, he reminds me of a giraffe bending down to get a drink of water...I bet in a full run he's very graceful. It really is a sport for any breed, although not all have the speed needed to win a competition, it's mentally and physically challanging for them and they enjoy that. All the dogs, even the unlikily agility breeds, have a great time.

One of my favourite breeds is the Borzoi. They are also known as Russian Wolfhounds and were a favourite of the Russian Czar's.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KYS:
    I am trying that Koehler training method on my male Akita.
    If I can get my male Akita to behave around other dogs, maybe with a LOT of work I will see how he does in obedience next year at a
    fun match.>>>>>>>>

KYS
    Don't get discourage. Training a breed such as an Akita is not the same as training a breed such as a Goldie or a GSD etc.
    Where these dogs are pleasers the AKita
    is always thinking "Why should I, and You should do it instead of me".
    Very intelligent dogs and the rewards of training will be well worth it.