Thread: Questions on dealing with no kill shelters

Hybrid View

Questions on dealing with no kill shelters

Now that Jackie is an only cat, it's time to start looking for a friend for him. I got Jackie from a kill shelter thinking he was in more dire straits than a cat in a no kill shelter. Generally kitties in no kill shelters aren't under a time frame for euthanasia like kill shelter kitties are.

However, this time I feel I need to know more about the cat before bringing it home. With Jackie being blind, I need a kitty that is a real sweetheart and doesn't have a problem with Jackie bumping into her on occasion. When he accidentally bumped into Robin, she got all bent out of shape and hissed and swatted at him - not knowing what was coming next, he generally cowered, and even though Robin was a total daddy's girl, Terry got really upset when Jackie cowered. Therefore, there will be no tolerance of a new kitty being mean to Jackie - thus my need to know more about them before bringing them home.

I've been on petfinder.com and there are a few ladies I'm interested in, but we're not quite ready to adopt yet since we're not "home" yet and a few other various reasons. So my question is, is it ok to send inquiries about the girls I'm interested in or should I wait so I don't get anybody's hopes up unnecessarily?

Robin kind of just "fell into our lap" after Peanut died, so Terry kind of wants to see if that will happen again, but I guess I'm a little more impatient.......it's so quiet around here......

Anyway, let me know what you all think - do I inquire or do I wait? It should only be a week or two more before we're ready for a new personality.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Awww, maybe you should enquire, and after all, adopting from a no-kill shelter opens up a spot for another kitty to be saved from a kill shelter! I would correspond with the people, and ask if the cat gets along with others, and explain Jackie's blindness, and they may be able to help you find a right kitty for your situation if the one you are looking at wouldn't be a good match. And of course, seeing if the two cats could :meet' at all might be good.
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Karen makes good points. Why not start the conversation and explain about Jackie's needs and personality? Their foster families could be on the lookout for the right fit and then you could have a visit so they can meet to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Awww, maybe you should enquire, and after all, adopting from a no-kill shelter opens up a spot for another kitty to be saved from a kill shelter! I would correspond with the people, and ask if the cat gets along with others, and explain Jackie's blindness, and they may be able to help you find a right kitty for your situation if the one you are looking at wouldn't be a good match. And of course, seeing if the two cats could :meet' at all might be good.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Go ahead and ask. It is normal to receive inquiries and in this case, totally understandable!

Reading those 2, April Rose sounds a good match.

I was so sorry to hear about Robin.

Only advise I can give is for sure see if the cats could meet before adoption. An older grown up cat might be less apt to want to play and jump out and startle Jackie. My cat Grandma has gone blind and she gets upset even by my voice so I keep her in my bedroom so she can have peace and quiet. Of course she is a real oldster now at 17 or 18. She does not seem to miss being with other cats.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like Apricot Rose, too. I think a visit to the shelter might be in order. See the cats in their home base. Also do make inquiries; I think they want their potential adopters to ask questions.

Female cats are bossy, but check her out with other cats first.

Good Luck with your decision.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I also agree that male cats seem to do better in multiple cat homes. Both of my females are very bossy and territorial and they only accept Sky now. They won't accept any of their younger brothers. I would recommend another orange male because they tend to be very laid back and easy going. Good luck.

I really think you should go meet Apricot Rose.
    They posted some new photos of her on the link you posted at the beginning of this thread and she is so cute snuggled up on a bed with a bunch of stuffed animals!
    It also says she really loves people and really wants to live with another cat, I think she would be a very loving cat to add to your family.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

The FEMALE thing

I tend to agree about female cats being bossy, at best. BUT, my Lucy is about as laid back as any one cat can be. She isn't bothered by anything or anyone. There are exceptions to the rule, of course. I hope Apricot Rose might be that exception. I just fell in love with her immediately. Of course, your heart will guide you through this event. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I also agree that male cats seem to do better in multiple cat homes. Both of my females are very bossy and territorial and they only accept Sky now. They won't accept any of their younger brothers. I would recommend another orange male because they tend to be very laid back and easy going. Good luck.
    Unless your name is Sam, then you are a bossy, only cat, orange cat that likes humans only. Bob is a laid back orange cat. Jane likes and plays with my males. She's bossy only with the other females. Interesting.

So keep our observations in mind, but visit Apricot Rose and observe how she interacts with the shelter cats. That should tell you the most.

Good luck
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)