Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cali - Dental Today - Sunday - She's sick, need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    Cali is recovering now. Only lost one tooth. Will go pick her up at 5:30.
    Yay, Cali! Sending gentle kisses for Cali and kisses for Diego too! MMWAH!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Cali is sick, won't take the antibiotics

Just back from the vet. Cali is having respiratory issues. Had her in the bathroom with the shower running hot to humidify her. Tried to get her to take the antibiotics with some shrimp (my kitties love fishy stuff). She ate it and then a few minutes later let out a howl and vomited it all back up. I'm letting her rest now before we try again.

She was fine yesterday, about 8 pm she sneezed 3 times. She bugged me for cuddles all night long, totally not in her character. She would only nibble at her foodies, also very out of character. Her purrs sound very "wet". Called the vet and off we went. A couple of chest X-rays later we were sent home.

I have a multitude of fishy things to try to get her to eat the meds with, but would sure appreciate any suggestions anyone might have to get them into her.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'm so sorry to hear that she's sick. Do you think that she may have caught this at the vets? Maybe she was so stressed out that her immune system became lowered. Does she like canned food? If so try to feed her some canned food and then try giving her the antibiotics. I know that usually if you give cats antibiotics on an empty stomach that they'll then throw up. If she continues to throw up, then I'd ask the vet for some antinausea medicine. Pills may not work for her but they do have an injectable kind called cerenia which I've had to use on my Ziggy. Here's a link about it: https://animalhealth.pfizer.com/site...erPuppies.aspx. I sure hope that she'll feel better soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Antibiotics are hard on the stomach. Try to dose her right after she has eaten a bit, so that will cushion her tummy.

Feel better quickly, Cali!

Pill pockets? With a bit of food in the tummy?

Poor baby, get well soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Channeling our beloved, missed Phred - Clam Juize! Fishy smelling and hydration all in one!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Channeling our beloved, missed Phred - Clam Juize! Fishy smelling and hydration all in one!
    Tried it. It was my first choice. No interest.

Tried it. It was my first choice. No interest.
    Oh, dear. My sympathies, hope you find something that works!
    I've Been Frosted

Is she on pain meds at all? If so then this may be causing her to not want to eat very much if at all. I hope she'll recover quickly.

Prayers for Cali, and for you too, Gayle, that she is over this and back to normal shortly.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Cali is also on pain meds. Those she doesn't mind taking, they smell/taste better I guess. She gets one more dose of that tomorrow then we're done. I did give her a bit of the antibiotics this am by mouth, then smeared the rest on her paw so she'd have to clean it off. She wasn't very happy with me. She is doing better now though, didn't need cuddles all night long, was eager for food this morning, her purr no longer sounds wet, only a sneeze or two, but her eyes still look pinkish and moist. I'd say after her massive throw up yesterday she's doing better overall and seems to be heading the right way. Hopefully she has a good, quiet day today and is happy to see me when I get home after work. And let's all pray for poop, she's full of it as shows in the xray. Didn't do any overnight but did visit the box this morning.

Thanks all for the ideas and support for my girlie.
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I know its a few days later but very commonly we have owners fast their pets or reintroduce food VERRRRRRRY SLOWLY because anesthesia makes them nauseous. Antibiotics and pain meds both (depending on the kind) can cause GI upset, more commonly associated with loose stool but vomiting could be seen with it as well.

As far as the breathing problems, they intubate the patient during dental to deliver gas/oxygen that maintains them and to also prevent water from the dental procedure being aspirated. Very very very commonly, the placement of that tube itself causes tracheal irritation, but it will typically go away within a few days with no treatment needed.

Just throwing these out there as general knowledge in case anyone experiences these symptoms!

facebook

Update

Cali is doing fine now, all around, she even pooped finally, but she did hold it for 4 days!!

However, she is being extremely difficult to give the antibiotics to. I've purchased everything fishy that I can find and we've tried it all to no avail. I've been having to sit on her to try to get any into her, very stressful for us both. Now when I open the fridge she runs! She is very certain I'm trying to poison her!

So after speaking with the vet and wondering if she would be getting enough, some goes in her mouth, alot goes on me, we will be seeing the vet for a shot tonight.

Progress!

Good news on the pooping front..! Well done, Cali (and Gayle)!

And best wishes that the shot solves the medication problem.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Cali is doing fine now, all around, she even pooped finally, but she did hold it for 4 days!!
    Actually some of the drugs used during anesthesia slows the GI system down, so it's not too alarming to not have a BM for a few days. She's right on track!

Kitties + any oral meds just never go well together...... does your vet offer a long-acting injectable antibiotic called Convenia? We use it at our clinic for kitties (or small dogs!) and while it's expensive to use in larger pets, it's a Godsend for kitties who hate taking liquid or pill medications!!! Something to think about for the future perhaps since now you know what she thinks about oral meds...!

facebook