Thread: Upset over Declawing

Hybrid View

Upset over Declawing

I am so upset, I'm in tears. My son and his wife went to the SPCA (good thing) and let my 9-year-old grandson choose a cat for himself (also a good thing). They insist upon mutilating this baby's feet by having her declawed, and I can't change their minds. They "don't want the furniture scratched." I was speaking with my daughter-in-law's mother a while ago, and she agrees with them; that was no surprise, since that's where my daughter-in-law was taught that furniture is more important than a living, sentient being. I asked her if she realizes that declawing a cat is amputating bone, like amputating the last digit of your fingers, and she said yes - and has no problem with that! These are otherwise nice people who've been very good to me - well off, well educated. I feel so damn helpless. I don't want to see the kitten (she's not home yet - waiting on spaying) because I can't stand to look at her and know what's coming.

I know there are no answers, but I just had to express how depressed and helpless I feel over this. How can an intelligent person be so uncompassionate, so shallow as to put inanimate objects before a loving being? Once my own furchildren are safe at Rainbow Bridge, I want out - there's far too much cruelty in this world.

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

How very sad. I know they have made up their mind to declaw the cat, but do you think there's a chance they could get one who is already declawed?

You could also try to print out some articles about cats' reaction to being declawed and how it often affect their behaviour in a very bad way, throughout their lives.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I know exactly how you feel. I have a family member that is actually ok with this procedure as well. They say there are wrong ways and right ways for it to be done. They work in the veterinary field. But I say it's ALL wrong! There's no changing minds either. I am so sorry.
    If I were you and lived close enough I'd volunteer to come over weekly to clip the kittens claws. Also suggest the nail caps (can't remember the name) to go on.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I would also think that when you adopt a cat from the SPCA that you'd have to sign a form stating that you won't declaw the cat. I think that you have to do this with the Humane Society but I'm not sure. I do know that you have to do this when you adopt from rescue groups. I sure hope that you'll be able to change their minds about this. I know that my mom also thought that this procedure was the thing to do and she talked me into doing this to my RB Pepper when he was still a very young kitten. I will never ever do this again. He had complications and he wouldn't even walk on one of his front paws. My vet had to put a splint on his front paw for a while. My vet couldn't understand why this happened. Well I sure know. Because the poor little kitten was in pain. It also changed his personality so he was much more timid than before. I learned my lesson the hard way and will never do this again. People who want a declawed cat should adopt one that it already declawed.

It's ok

Listen, I am against declawing and before I was informed about the options, I, too, declawed two of my cats, years ago. Do not fret over it. It doesn't usually bother them beyond the initial surgery. Lots of people have opinions much different from mine. Both of my cats lived long, happy lives. One was 21 and one was 18 when they died. I would NOW never ever do it and would encourage people to buy scratching posts to help prevent them from scratching things.

I know that many folks here are rabid about this topic.
    Last edited by sasvermont; 10-08-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Can you call the SPCA and ask if they have a policy on declawing?

Here's a couple of links to the Soft Paws page:

http://www.softpaws.com/gallery.html

http://www.softpaws.com/about.html

They even have a page on trimming claws. I mean - I have 3 cats and it takes about 5 minutes every week or two!

http://www.softpaws.com/article.html
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

You should talk to your son again, and stress the problems declawing can cause if it has not been done yet, and tell them you can talk to your grandson about teaching him to use a scratching post, and not scratching up the furniture! Maybe you can visit some times and bring some "soft paws" on his nails and show your grandson how to do it, and that can be one of his jobs with his new kitty! That and emphasizing to him how important play is for kitties, and how much fun he can have teaching it tricks and stuff!
    I've Been Frosted