Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upset over Declawing

Sharon - can you call their vet as if you were a client and ask what they think of declawing?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Sharon ~ I'm sorry that they've made this decision.
    If they don't change their mind, and there is probably nothing you can do to change their mind, I pray that everything goes well and the kitty isn't in pain afterwards.

We've never had a cat declawed. When I was a kid, it wasn't something most people could afford. Once I researched it, I found it barbaric and would never put my furkid through it. But, I've never had a destructive kitty either. With lots of toys to keep them busy, they were never interested in destroying the furniture. And I cherish the gently chewed corner of my laptop case. It's the work of Silly Willy Wonkers when he was a kitten.

I'm sorry that they don't feel the way about pets as you do. Hang in there. I suspect you are more upset about it than the kitty will be. Fingers, paws and whiskers crossed that all goes well.
    Last edited by kuhio98; 10-09-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Thank you all for the continued support and understanding. I am so depressed over all this!
    I don't know which vet they're using; evidently, it's not their regular one (and I don't even know who that is), but my d.i.l. said she called around to find one who uses laser surgery. I suggested trying to find one who does tendonectomy - not that I approve of that either, but at least the poor little girl would keep her toes - but that conversation went nowhere.

As I said, I asked my d.i.l.'s mother if she understood that declawing involves amputation of bone; she said, yes, the vet explained that. When I asked if she was ok with that, she said yes. How can an otherwise good person feel like that? I don't understand - I just don't. Cause an innocent child deliberate pain for your own convenience?? It's wrong, plain and simple - it's morally wrong, I don't want to stand before my Creator when my name is called and tell Him that my furniture was more important than the living, sentient being He entrusted to me.

I mentioned that my own vet refuses to routinely declaw; the response was, "I've heard that." Well, geez - doesn't it say something that a doctor who stands to make money from the procedure refuses to do it? That ought to tell these unenlightened people *something*, but it doesn't seem to. Having a picture-perfect house is more important to them than loving a furchild. I don't understand why they just don't buy a plush or a ceramic cat; they can place it photogenically, have their perfect house, and not have to deal with litterboxes, food, vets - or scratching.

There's so much more going on in my heart than the bare fact of declawing; that my son sees nothing wrong with it hurts me deeply. It means that my example has not been enough to instill compassion into him; it means I've failed him and every pet he'll ever have. Or maybe it's just that his wife now has more influence over him than I used to.

In time, I'll feel better, I know - but not today. You all have been a huge help, and I am very, very grateful for your understanding and support. May the Creator bless each of you mightily for your compassion.

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

I supposed I should clarify and say, we may regularly declaw cats, but we do give the clients other alternatives to try before resorting to this as an option. This is an absolute last option at our clinic. And I do feel this begs repeating: I would rather a cat be "routinely" declawed but have a home than have it be dumped at the shelter (or worse, dumped outside) because it was clawing at their furniture.

I do feel it is a shame that many owners think that declawing and spaying/neutering go hand-in-hand and do it without giving it a second thought. All you can do is try to educate them. If you can't, then perhaps look at it my way... Will I ever voluntarily have my cats declawed? No. Do I encourage owners to try other alternatives before resorting to declawing? Absolutely!!!

facebook

Thank you, Jessica. Obviously, no matter what I say to them, their furniture is more important.

I've been thinking a lot about compassion: is it something learned through education and/or example? Or is it a gift from God? If it's learned, than I've failed my son and his pets. If it's a gift, I surely wish God would give it to everyone! I don't know the answer. it's such a two-edged sword: it's a great blessing to the recipients of compassionate acts, but it can cause such pain when the compassionate one is helpless. I still think of it as a gift; perhaps the pain involved is a sort of penance for whatever sins I've committed.

I emailed my son and asked if they could at least give the little girl a chance - buy her some scratching surfaces, teach her to use them, see if that works before amputating her toes. His response was, "We'll see how it goes. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this." NOT! I will never, ever agree to anything involving cruelty to animals.

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    I emailed my son and asked if they could at least give the little girl a chance - buy her some scratching surfaces, teach her to use them, see if that works before amputating her toes. His response was, "We'll see how it goes. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this." NOT! I will never, ever agree to anything involving cruelty to animals.
    Well...... he didn't just shut you down by saying "no!", he did say "we'll see.". So... maybe there is some hope? Or is he just saying that to appease you?

Sometimes when people have their minds made up... that's that.

facebook

Sounds to me like his mind IS made up.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Working at a clinic where we regularly declaw cats, it was really trying on me at first. I, personally, will never have my cats declawed. I have never had issues with cats scratching inappropriately when they have been supplied with plenty of their own furniture to use.

However, I have to look at it this way. If declawing a cat means the difference between that cat having (and keeping) a home versus sitting in a shelter or being euthanized... I will opt for the cat to be declawed. But if you're going to do it, DO IT EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Younger cats recover MUCH faster and with less complications than older cats.

I guess, being in this field, I have a different way of looking at it... AGAIN, I DO NOT agree with it, nor will I ever voluntarily have it done on my own cats, but it if means the difference between a pet having a home or being given up... I've come to terms with it being a good thing.

Plus, on rare occasions, owners with clotting disorders or auto immune diseases who have to give their pets up unless they're declawed (on all 4 legs) because if they get scratched, it can kill them...

AGAIN, not condoning it, but just trying to give a different insight to it........
    I agree Jessika. I wouldn't do it, but can't condemn those that do. I am on anti-coagulants and suffer from auto-immune disease. Spunky is my only true scratcher and biter, so I have to be careful with him. So far he hasn't hurt me. He's too old to declaw. I couldn't do it. A friend trims his nails.

Since our laws do not really treat animals as life forms, but property, there really isn't much we can do. My foster, Bertie, was declawed and you wouldn't have known unless you inspected her feet. Thankfully, Her Grumpiness, found a home with other declawed kitties.

It's a shame they won't consider a declawed kitty from the shelter.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I would fathom a guess that if an owner went thru expense and trouble of gettin a kitty declawed, and it is at a shelter, there are issues that developed as a result of the mutilation. Growing up (in the 70's), my best friend got a kitten and had it declawed (actually,obviously her parents did). That kitty went from a sweet loving thing to a vicious little thing. It would agressively attack and bite with no provocation. I remember how it broke my heart right after the surgury, his wee paws still bandaged and he jumped down off a chair. You could see him wince in pain as he sat up on his hind legs, front paws held up.

Thank you all for the continuing support. I am so depressed, I just can't find the energy to do anything more than take care of the 5 cats and 2 ponies. If it were just my son, I have to believe that I could influence him, but his wife is in charge, and I've explained about *her* mother - there's just no hope for little Nya. (I believe they're bringing her home today - Thursday.)

Lisa is probably right: I'm more upset than Nya will be - I hope! But more and more, I think my sadness is the fact that my son - *my* son - condones and defends this. I just can't get my mind around that, for it's certainly not the way I brought him up - or so I thought. It also saddens me that my grandson will now grow up with that same "I don't give a damn about the animal's pain" attitude; they're teaching him that furniture is more important than a living, sentient being. It's so, so wrong; sorry - preaching to the choir here.

I feel as if I'm adrift with no land, no anchorage in sight; it's only all of you who are keeping me from totally losing it. Thank you ever so much.

I can fee l how upset you are about this, and I am, too. At least they could get an already declawed cat!

Even though it's your son, I think I would quit contact.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Trust me, Randi, that thought has crossed my mind, but he's my only child, and I'm a widow. I really don't want to fall out over this. I was thinking just a while ago that, if we were not bound by our children, I wouldn't be friends with my d.i.l.'s parents, not after what her mother told me on Monday. She and her husband have been very good to me, but I don't think I'll ever look at them the same way again. I'm not sure I can look at my own son the same way. For now, I'm keeping quiet, not initiating any contact. Usually, the parents invite me for Christmas Eve and Day; I hope by that time I can come to grips with my feelings.

Maerlyn,

It is what it is and I don't blame you for not wanting to cause a rift. All you can do is pray for the best and hope this kitty doesn't develop any of the issues that come with being declawed.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I would have them check around, and make sure the vet is experienced in the surgery before they go through with it, as some of the horror stories we hear are from botched jobs!
    I've Been Frosted

I think, moosmom, that you're right: at this point, all I can do is pray and trust that the Creator will send an angel to look after this little one.

Knowing my d.i.l., she's made the calls - at the very, very least, she called to find someone who uses lasers because she was told that it's less painful. Right now, I don't want to talk to any of them; I'd say some things that it wouldn't be good to say.