Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Drinking

Water Drinking

Just wanted to share my kitties new favorite thing. I purchased one of those pet water fountains. My cats think their ship has truly come in!!!
    They spend hours just playing in it. They're so cute, I could watch them forever.
    But, the more serious benefit is how much more water they're drinking. I'm scooping twice as many clumps as before. My vet once told me that no animal really drinks enough water and anything you can do to get them to drink is great.
    So, if you have trouble getting your kitties to drink, I highly recommend. Plus, its fun.

AMEN to that !!
    My cats have a fountain too , and they LOVE it !!! Maya drinks right from the fountain , and Inka wonders where the water is coming from ... this afternoon she kept inspecting the back side of the fountain with a curious look on her kitty-face ..
    LOL !!

I have a fountain...in fact, I have TWO fountains. I just call them faucets. HAH HAH...I would imagine I have my bathroom faucet on 75% of the time I am at home (and will confess to leaving it on a few times, by accident, when I am out.).

I have started something new, too. I put freshly filtered ice cubes in the bowl, and have seen them paw at it a few times...

My guys are getting one for christmas. I just ordered it in!! I hope it will help with Pete's urinary tract problems. He needs to drink a lot of water!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I've never had one, but maybe I'm going to have ot get one.

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    I've never had one, but maybe I'm going to have ot get one.
    I am thinking you might need a fountain the size of Niagra Falls with all those cats!

Originally posted by Cataholic
    I have a fountain...in fact, I have TWO fountains. I just call them faucets. HAH HAH...I would imagine I have my bathroom faucet on 75% of the time I am at home (and will confess to leaving it on a few times, by accident, when I am out.).

I have started something new, too. I put freshly filtered ice cubes in the bowl, and have seen them paw at it a few times...
    Haa haa Cataholic. That's funny. Mine were serious faucet drinkers. They'd run to the sink and beg me to turn it on. That's mainly the reason I go the fountain. They love it. I also put a couple ice cubes in it once in a while. They seem to like the cool water.

Could you tell me more about the fountains. I currently have a huge water water thingy ... that hold 2 3/4 gallons ... but I still have to strain it regularly ... cause hair and litter from little furry paws get in the bowl area. Are these fountains filtered? Just wondering the waterflow is always fresh ... that way my kitties could drink fresh water constantly instead hair and litter until I get back to strain it out!!!!

A dear friend of mine sets up a small aquarium pump/ filter thingy and it delivers a constant fresh water source, I need to get more specific directions on that from her too ... may be cheaper than one of these fountains? How much do they cost and where can I get one?

THANKS!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I was thinking of getting a fountain for my kitties. Tibby drinks so much water it's crazy, but I always worry that Corkscrew doesn't drink enough. I've never had a male cat before and I've heard that if they don't drink enough water it can cause urinary problems. So maybe for x-mas they will be getting one.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I have one of those fountains too, but I couldn't tell you whether or not the kitty drinks from it because I never see him doing it! It's in a corner of the kitchen, out of sight and where we won't trip over it. There are HUGE "winkle" clumps in the box though, so he must be getting enough water. I think they just run on an aquarium-type pump anyway, with a charcoal filter, so you could probably rig up something generic like that if you had a lot of kitties. I just can't picture the logistics of it at the moment.

I have never been able to interest my kitty in drinking from the faucet, but that's probably a good thing, since the cost of water where I live is insane - for our family of 3, $175.00 every 3 months! If I left a faucet running, I'd have to sell plasma to pay my water bill!
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Originally posted by kimlovescats
    Could you tell me more about the fountains. I currently have a huge water water thingy ... that hold 2 3/4 gallons ... but I still have to strain it regularly ... cause hair and litter from little furry paws get in the bowl area. Are these fountains filtered? Just wondering the waterflow is always fresh ... that way my kitties could drink fresh water constantly instead hair and litter until I get back to strain it out!!!!

my cat, eddie, sits down in front of the bowl, puts his paw on the
    edge and moves it to force the foreign material to the sides.
    this causes great tsunamis and a huge wet spot that i end up walking thru w/bare feet......

for the life of me i cannot figure out how he learned this, he's an only son- i have resigned myself to getting water every morning.

(p.s. he seems to like it when the water comes from a machine or
    is bottled....)

I have a fountain, but they barely use it. (they are toilet drinkers- nawteekats) But, the water stays cleaner and fresher than when I had to do the bowl thing. So it helps Mommy, I guess...

Originally posted by kimlovescats
    A dear friend of mine sets up a small aquarium pump/ filter thingy and it delivers a constant fresh water source, I need to get more specific directions on that from her too ... may be cheaper than one of these fountains? How much do they cost and where can I get one?

THANKS!

I was also thinking in making one from a aquarium pomp. At least if the kitties don't like it I don't end with another useless thingy around the house. Plus it comes chepier.

If you get the direction let me know.

Hmmm...I might have to get one for my cats. But I probably won't be able to get one until January.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

15. Thank you VERY much and some advice

Last nihgt my husbandand I were out doing some Christmas hsopping. We decided to stop at a pet store and buy Edwina a fountain.

SHE HATES IT!!!

I think the mistake we made was to set it up while she was in the room and the initial noise scared her. She hisses and growls at it, puffs up her tail and ridges her back.

I have been putting her turkey treats right next to it. We have turned off the motor. She has had some drinks from it. In a few days we will turn it make on. Otherwise I'm out $40

Maybe when the dogs (my parent's and my sister's) come for Thanksgiving and drink out of it she will be inspired!

(BTW..it is the same type of pump I used in my fountains outside....)