Thread: Help!! My older cat might have thyroid cancer and my new Egyptian mau keeps attacking her

Help!! My older cat might have thyroid cancer and my new Egyptian mau keeps attacking her

Hi everyone,

I'm thrilled to have found this forum. I'm hoping someone can help me. I adopted a 3 yr, old Egyptian Mau back in July and brought him home. I have a 12 yr old, beautiful long haired female cat who hasn't been around other animals all that much. I kept the two cats separate with room dividers and separate rooms for almost 2-3 weeks. The youngster eventually figured out how to open the divider and approached my senior cat. my senior cat hissed and wasnt happy but eventually after about four days or so I was comfortable enough to leave them Together in the home. In the past two weeks or so I've noticed my MAU playing a lot more aggressively. I've noticed him attacking my senior cat when she's either sleeping or choking. Shes going to the vet in two days to have her thyroid rechecked. It seems that whenever she's down and not well he then will attack.

I currently have my mau locked in a large-size bedroom most of the time when we're not home. I know this isn't good for his breed....they need a lot of play and activity. I really need to figure out what next to try to tame his aggression. the senior cat is always hissing when they are out together.

Can anyone help me figure out how to take care of my two precIous felines so we can all just get along? I'm thinking aggressive behavior is the reason he was put up for adoptIon..but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Try to have regular playtime with your Mau, they are very active cats. He is likely attacking her because he wants something to do. Active play - fetch, fishing pole games, teaching him obedience commands, and then "tricks" - all will help use up his excess energy, and distract him from attacking her.

Lots of people who get Maus without doing proper research do not realize what an active, energetic breed they are.. and end up giving them up. Consider training him to walk on a leash so you can safely take him for a walk in the morning before you go to work, and in the evening before dinner - anything to help wear him out will help!

Also, in the wild, cats will attack and drive out sick members, as they can no longer hunt, so he may be sensing her illness ... so it's probably best to keep them separated while you are not home for now.
    I've Been Frosted

Hi Karen, thanks for the ideas...I did pick up a leash for him and have started introducing him to it in the house. He's not thrilled, but I'll keep on it and eventually we'll get outside. I'll pick up some new toys too. Do you think his behavior will subside once he's more acclimated and gets more exercise? Thanks again.

I do think his behavior will subside once he is not only better acclimated, but getting plenty of exercise! I'd take him out on the leash as soon as possible, as most cats will begin to associate "harness means I get to go OUTSIDE" pretty quickly, and unlike a certain bunny of mine*, will be too concerned with exploring things to be bothered fussing with the harness and leash.

*Miss Hoppy, now at the Rainbow Bridge, was so bothered by the fact that the harness mussed her fur that she turned into a fur-covered brick. Yes, if I pulled hard enough she'd move, but would NOT hop on her own. We gave the harnesses to a shelter, and took to fencing in an area outside for her to play in, only while supervised!
    I've Been Frosted

It sounds like your younger kitty needs another youngster to play with so he will leave your senior kitty alone.

I have the same problem with my Frankie. When I first got him and he started being rough with my 2 senior kitties, I used a squirt bottle to squirt a little water on him when he got rough with any of them.
    Now all I have to do is grab the squirt bottle and he knows to stop what he is doing.