Thread: help....stiffness of joints after getting spayed - is this normal?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

help....stiffness of joints after getting spayed - is this normal?

my 2 year old Daschund was spayed last month about 2 weeks after the spaying she starting limping and then she got all these sores in her ears , on her nose and her back so i took her back to the vet he said she must have got into something and some kind of bugs or something got under her skin the assistant suggested staff infection...they put her on clindamycin 25 mg two times a day...she seems to be doing a lots better in her ears and on her nose but not on her back but now her back legs seems to be stiffening up on her again....b4 the surgery she was a happy go lucky nothing ever wrong with her kind of puppy could this all be related and what could be wrong and what should I do?

Hi, Jannie! This is likely not at all related to the spaying, as I have never heard of anything like this in connection to a spay surgery. But it does sound like she got some sort of infection somewhere, had some reaction to something, could be anything, and is dealing with that. Has she had any tick bites that you know of?
    I've Been Frosted

I agree nothing to do with her spay at all.

Is she still getting the medicine or is that all finished? She may need a recheck at the vet.

Blog Entries

still on her medicine...

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I agree nothing to do with her spay at all.

Is she still getting the medicine or is that all finished? She may need a recheck at the vet.
    no tick bites only the lil bug bites or whatever she had that the vet gave her medicine for on her back....and yes she still has about 4 more days of medication left then I guess another trip to the vet if it doesn't clear up. Oh, i forgot to mention she like licks her feet like ALL the time now drives me and her both crazy lol

Licking feet is typically a sign of allergies.

Stiffness of joints if there has been tick exposure could mean she has Lyme's disease. You can have her tested for it.

As the others have stated, this has nothing to do with the spay.

facebook

Definitely if it does not clear up after you finish the medicine, ask about testing for Lyme disease, it is getting more and more prevalent these days, sadly, but can be treated.

And yes, the licking of paws is almost always allergy related, so mention that to your vet if you go, and you might want to change her food to something different, and see if that helps. What is she eating now?
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries

never saw any ticks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Licking feet is typically a sign of allergies.

Stiffness of joints if there has been tick exposure could mean she has Lyme's disease. You can have her tested for it.

As the others have stated, this has nothing to do with the spay.
    I never seen ANY ticks on her at all but as for the symptoms of lymes disease i see some resemblence of it with the stiffness of the joints but I have NEVER took a tick off of Annie I have kept flea and tick medicine on her as for her licking her paws non-stop not sure about that one....all I know is NONE of this started till after she got spayed....wish I woulda never got her spayed :/

Blog Entries

no tick bites

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hi, Jannie! This is likely not at all related to the spaying, as I have never heard of anything like this in connection to a spay surgery. But it does sound like she got some sort of infection somewhere, had some reaction to something, could be anything, and is dealing with that. Has she had any tick bites that you know of?
    no tick bites only the lil bug bites or whatever she had that the vet gave her medicine for on her back....and yes she still has about 4 more days of medication left then I guess another trip to the vet if it doesn't clear up. Oh, i forgot to mention she like licks her feet like ALL the time now drives me and her both crazy lol