Thread: Solar Window Film

Solar Window Film

I'm on the board in my condo association and have been trying for some time to rectify the heat situation in the front lobby of the building I live in. There are 2 buildings, about 30 years old, no AC, and stairs (no elevator).

It was almost agreed to get a quote from our very talented handyman to install the film and give us a quote. But then he came back and said that the stuff doesn't last.

It would keep SO much heat out of the building!

Anyway - have you used window film? Did you install it yourself or have a professional do it? Did it last? What do you think?

Thanks.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

How much of the year would it need to be up? Why not install blinds or shades that can be raised in cold weather to allow the sun to heat the space, but kept lowered in the summer/warm months?
    I've Been Frosted

Candace, the apartment I lived in for 6 years had gorgeous huge windows, facing SOUTH. I paid for the electricity, and the a/c bill was out of sight! I bought window film and put it on myself. The film did not come as wide as the windows were, so I had a "seam" down the window. I liked the effect, though.

That said, apparently what I used back then is no longer available (I just used Google, couldn't find it anywhere). I mean, I bought this house 10 years back, so I bought the film about 17 years ago.

I found these sites which may be of interest to you:
    Info on films:
    http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/...dows/films.htm

DIY forum info:
    http://www.diybanter.com/home-repair...lock-heat.html

Another forum with lots of info
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...204271745.html

Here in this house, I FINALLY replaced the windows, after living here for 7 years. I got double panes, Low E argon and the difference is AMAZING!!!

Hope this is of some help for you.

I'd say just invest in some higher-quality windows. If you want to go the window film route, then buy the best kind that you can. It'll last for probably a good 6-8 years before you have to replace it - at least, from what I've seen and heard. You'll have to get someone that knows what they're doing with such things to install it, otherwise it'll probably end up looking like a bubbly mess (Ever seen a good portion of custom-tinted car windows? Like that.) Also, look into some kind of blinds like Karen suggested, especially ones that have the portion facing out painted black.

If you want to get creative, try growing some large indoor plants in front of the windows. I've seen people plant vines and hang the containers above the windows. They'll filter out a good portion of the sunlight and they'll look decent while doing it, just make sure to keep them trimmed.

Hi all:

Thanks for the input!

The worst windows are in the front lobby (SMALL) where the buzzer panel is. We got them measured for blinds, but it was way expensive and there was no visibility. With tenants in the building, there might be damage due to moving in/out. Also, it's not just my money to spend. I was trying to think of a straightforward way to cut the solar heat. Even the outside part of the building had to be repainted due to sun and weather damage.

Replacing the unit/apartment windows is in the reserve fund study, but not for a while. It is just 2 - 3 windows that need screening. Hellow, the lobby is too small to allow for plants...put 5 people in there and it would be crowded!

I have contacted two window film companies and have sent their information to the board and property manager to ask them to at least get a quote. I'm in Vancouver next week so won't be there for the board meeting.

Earlier on I was researching window film kits - and some folks in consumer reviews complained that the install didn't work out. The manufacturer was very clear in its answer that ALL instructions had to be followed. I imagine there are dome DIY people who take short cuts.

Thanks again!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    The window film is probably the best and most effective way to go - however have it professionally installed since it is a real pain to do right. I had the solar film on my sliding glass doors in my old house, and it really cut down drastically on the heat, since that area of the house got the hot afternoon sun. It was a project I took on by myself, but would never attempt it again. Let the pros take on that headache!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~