Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a part-time job! First day of the rest of my life! Need some pawsitive thoughts!

Got a part-time job! First day of the rest of my life! Need some pawsitive thoughts!

There are two job openings for a math teacher. Both are temporary, one is a long term substitute position with the district I left, the other is with a one-semester full time position with benefits with another district. I didn't send my interest letters until Friday, so I hope it is not too late.

Either one of these will extend my savings for a few months before I have to move. Working can also help rebuild my reputation. I'll tell y'all more about my plans for the future in a little bit.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 09-24-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Prayers on the way!
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers for you, Anne, that something good comes of this for you!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thank you, I'm asking all of my friends to put positive thoughts out there!
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. I hope things start looking up for you.

Prayers sent your way!

Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I had two phone calls today for jobs. One was from a district that is interviewing for the substitute pool. Interesting in that it was supposed to be a few more weeks until they started the initial interviews. Tuesday @ 1:30

The principal at a school that has a long term sub job called and left a message. I called back but he hasn't returned the call. I sent an email this evening. This is in the district that I left.

I haven't heard from the other district.

Wish me luck.

Edit. I just checked the other district (full time one semester only) and the position has been filled. I was too late. Drats.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 08-27-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: add'l info
    Anne

Sending along prayers and good wishes for you, Anne.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Hang in there.....

........keep trying......something will turn up.....just do not give up.....sending positive thoughts!

Thanks to PCB!

I am a substitute teacher

I had the district interview and the lady sent me right to one of the high schools to meet the substitute liaison. Because of my 25 years of experience, I don't have to attend the normal training classes. Financial paperwork is all filled out. The business manager was helpful, too, with planning for my retirement. It appears I have to work the last 5 years in a permanent position before I actually retire in order to qualify for health and life insurance benefits. So
    I can't substitute my way to retirement

It seems they have a shortage of certified substitute teachers and no certified math substitutes. I enjoyed meeting the second lady at the high school. T

The sad part is that this district pays little more than minimum wage for certified substitutes. I am hoping to turn this into an opportunity to get a full time position. In the meantime I will be looking outside the education field for better paying jobs.

It seems that my boss never sent a reference for me. A friend who was also a supervisor sent in a reference. I hope that this new situation as a substitute doesn't get screwed up.

The other long term position person did not call back and the position in another district was already taken. I am assuming I am persona non gratis (sp?) in my old system.
    Anne

Lillycat and Phesina, thank you for your encouraging words.

Anne

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Sending along prayers and good wishes for you, Anne.

From here too --- fingers and paws crossed and will be praying.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Hey, at least you got something for the time being! Things are looking up. Really hope you do find something a little more permanent though.

I have been there and know what it is like and how you have been feeling....I have been following this thread..I was a teacher also.....I am hoping this works out for you.....remember no matter what.....do not lose the faith....as long as you keep
    trying, something will turn up.....

Thanks to PCB!