Thread: Question about litter training a kitten

Question about litter training a kitten

Hi everyone, I realize that when most people get kittens the kitten already knows how to use the litter box. Well it seems I have one that doesn't. She was a stray found on the streets of Baltimore but she has a case of CH (so that is why she is at my place). I can (mostly) get her to use pee pads, but for some reason she does not like the litter box. I have one with sides that are about an inch high so she can get in and out easily (if she wants ). I use SweetScoop litter. I have even tried putting a pee pad over the litter thinking maybe she would figure it out that way. But I am running out of ideas here. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

All I can think of is gently putting her in the litter box and then taking her front paws and scratching them in the litter. Shouldn't take more than a couple of times and she'll get the idea.

She sounds sweet! Pics?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I have heard that a crate like a Puppy would have would work too, as well as leaving her in a small room with her box.
    Good luck on your training!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I've never had a cat that didn't know how to use the litter box. All I can think of is to maybe try using some Cat Attract Litter by Dr. Elsey. It's supposed to help cats that won't use the litter box. You can buy it at Petsmart or order it online. I don't know if any other other pet stores carry it yet but I think I saw some of Dr. Elsey's cat litter's in a Petco before. Here's a link about it: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751734. Good luck.

Question about Litter training a kitten - photos included

Here are a couple of photos of the newest addition to the gang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tinkie I.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	55017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tinkie II.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	55018  

Aww, poor sweet baby! I am SO glad she is off the streets! Bless you for housing, feeding and loving her!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

When I got my very first kitten Mollie Rose, she thought the world was her litter box. my vet told me to close her in my bathroom with her food water and a litter box and she would eventually get the idea. it worked like a charm.

Any time I bring a new little kitten home I just put him/her in the litter box as soon as I get them home. If they jump right out, I try it again in about 15 minutes. Eventually they'll have to go, and if they are in the litter box when they're feeling the urge, they'll figure it out real quick.

That's what Boo did when I brought her home last week. She jumped right out of the litter box the first time I put her in it, but the next time I put her in it, about 15 minutes later, she was more interested and she used it the way it was meant to be used. I made sure that she knew how to get to that room before I let her run around the house on her own for very long. She hasn't had an accident at all............

ALL of my cats have been like that.....I've never had one that didn't just instinctively use it when they needed to when I put them in it at the right time..........after the first time using it, they just kept on doing it.................

Good luck............
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb

What an adorable baby. And a CHer too. God bless you for taking her in and loving her.

Prayers and good wishes that the litterbox problem is solved shortly. That suggestion to shut her in the bathroom with her food and water and box sounds like a good one to try.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks for the suggestions. She was doing really well for about a week and now she is back to doing the same old thing. I keep her with me most of the time so I can "catch" her but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I think I am going to have to re-do the bathroom...

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    All I can think of is gently putting her in the litter box and then taking her front paws and scratching them in the litter. Shouldn't take more than a couple of times and she'll get the idea.

She sounds sweet! Pics?
    That's what I've done with mine too. Now I have so many cats, the youngsters just watch the grownups and learn from them. Good luck.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was taking the approach of seeing if she would learn from the other cats ... unfortunately it is not doing the trick