Thread: Teacher fired for giving a student 0% Happy Update #6

Teacher fired for giving a student 0% Happy Update #6

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/lynden-do...hools-1.956545

"The suspension came after Dorval refused to use adhere to the school’s behavioural code, meant to be used in place of giving students marks of zero."

The letter he got from the Superintendent Edgar Schmidt was totally outrageous and shocking in tone. Read more at the link.

ETA: More background in this story from Yahoo: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/no-zero-tea...210824478.html
    Last edited by Catty1; 09-20-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Heaven forbid a student gets a grade worthy of his work...

A recent rumor from the college I attended I heard is that teachers are "not allowed" to give failing grades because the number of students failing out of the program was astronomical, so to save the school's graduation/drop out rates they implemented this new "rule". A few instructors quit their jobs after it was implemented as they felt it was not only unfair but passed students that don't have the skills/knowledge to be in the profession.

facebook

That's absurd. Getting fired for giving a student a 0%, a student who apparently didn't care enough to EARN a grade.

It really gets to me how most schools spoon-feed their students. Why, so they can get higher graduation rates with dumbed down students? If we didn't do the work, we got a 0% for not doing it, simple as that. What, is the student supposed to get points he/she didn't earn? I'm curious to see what they give the students on assignments they don't turn in. Things like that really bug me, especially as someone who works hard for a 3.8 GPA. You get the grade you work for and that should be that.

It amazes me that people who don't show up to class and do their homework expect to get a good grade. I've seen a few times where a kid will start coming in at the end of the semester after having only attended a handful of classes expecting their grade to rise. Then they go and blame the professors. It really is a sad state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    That's absurd. Getting fired for giving a student a 0%, a student who apparently didn't care enough to EARN a grade.

It really gets to me how most schools spoon-feed their students. Why, so they can get higher graduation rates with dumbed down students? If we didn't do the work, we got a 0% for not doing it, simple as that. What, is the student supposed to get points he/she didn't earn? I'm curious to see what they give the students on assignments they don't turn in. Things like that really bug me, especially as someone who works hard for a 3.8 GPA. You get the grade you work for and that should be that.

It amazes me that people who don't show up to class and do their homework expect to get a good grade. I've seen a few times where a kid will start coming in at the end of the semester after having only attended a handful of classes expecting their grade to rise. Then they go and blame the professors. It really is a sad state of affairs.
    I have a reoccuring dream that I am in a class and haven't been all semestar and I am having to go take the final...I have had this dream forever...you would think being out of college for 22 years it would ease up but nope....
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Everyone gets a trophy for particpating.

He's got a job!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/teacher...w-job-1.962608

Lynden Dorval says he’s accepted a teaching position at Tempo, a provincially accredited private school in Edmonton’s Riverbend area. The school caters to students in kindergarten through to Grade 12. Dorval was fired from his job as a physics teacher at Ross Sheppard High School after he defied the school’s policy to not give students zero grades for incomplete assignments.
    He told CTV News that there’s no “no zero” policy at his new school.
    “They give zeroes. They made that very clear,” Dorval said with a chuckle.
    Dorval said he’ll be teaching advanced-placement physics, a slight curriculum change from his previous job teaching international baccalaureate (IB) physics.
    “It’s fairly high level physics and with very good students,” he said. “For a physics teacher, that’s kind of a dream job.”
    Dorval begins his new job on Oct. 16, a day after his termination from the Edmonton Public School Board takes effect. Meanwhile, Dorval said he still plans to appeal the board’s decision to fire him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Good for him and I hope he wins his case.

Off topic?

I two BC pills are worth 9 bucks, how many does are involved?

That's great news! Best wishes, Mr. Dorval!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Good for him and I hope he wins his case.

Off topic?

I two BC pills are worth 9 bucks, how many does are involved?
    Reminds me of a joke: Beer nuts are $2, deer nuts are under a buck.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb