Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept walk at Slater Park

Sept walk at Slater Park

Took the dogs up to Slater Park today, we walk there twice a week. Took the camera today.

This is the view I see, and it always makes me smile!
    From left: Tasha, Lacey, Riley, Willy

Tasha Riley Willy Lacey

More photos to come.

Tasha Willy Lacey Riley

They had a concert last weekend - Dad and I attended, it is a free outdoor concert by the RI Philharmonic Pops Orchestra. We try to attend each year. So the bandstand was still out, and I used that to take some pics. Initially the pups were too busy to pay me ANY attention.

Getting themselves sorted

Almost ready

Well, WILLY was ready, ha haaa

Eventually I got this:

And edited, these are the 3 good ones, out of about 37!

More photos to come!
    Last edited by Freedom; 09-19-2012 at 02:59 PM.

The Pond - it has 3 fountains and at night they have 3 bonfire / braziers they light as well.

Looff Carousel - one of several still remaining; we have one in my city as well. This is open daily all summer, and on weekends in Spring and Fall.

We stopped in here, as my friend Paula has her first ever entry accepted in a juried art show. She didn't place, but she is thrilled just to have made it in the show.

I imagine this is the first time 4 bichons entered, lol. Paula's entry. Her 3 children gave her a trip to Ireland last year for her 70th birthday, and this is a scene from one of her photos.

Plenty of ducks and Canadian geese in the pond. Folks stop by to feed them.

There are swans, as well. The pond is stocked with trout every Spring, and fishing is closed from Mar 1 to April 15th, then open for the rest of the year.

Spring, Summer and Fall, we often see bridal parties having photo shoots in this area. On the gazebo itself they tend to have issues with lighting, sometimes the photographer comes with studio lights and sets up, to get a few of the bride in there as well. Mostly, it is used as a back drop.

Most photos stand by!

I tried to get a group pic of the fluffs with the gazebo, but they weren't big on cooperation at this point in our walk. Only later did I realize I had them in dappled sunlight which wouldn't have worked anyway.

This is a 3 inch gun from a WW II ship. I wish they had a plaque up with info about it. Dad used to be able to tell me about it, wish I'd written it down, now he doesn't remember. Dad was assigned to a 6 inch when he was in the Navy.

Tasha frequently checks in with me to make sure she is doing what I want, lol. From Left: Lacey, Tasha Riley Willy

Fall will soon be here; some trees and bushes have already started to turn.

This is Fanny. At one time in the past, Slater Park had a small zoo, and Fanny was the elephant who lived there for something like 21 years. It was an 'old style' zoo, poor Fanny basically had a cage and that it all. Not like the lovely exhibit areas our zoo in Providence offers, now. Anyway, many Rhode Islanders knew Fanny, and this replica was made in her memory by one of the local artists.

We have almost completed our loop now, and almost back to the car. Tasha, Lacey Riley Willy

Tasha checking in again, lol.

Just a few more photos to come.

Once in the car, Tasha keeps tabs on me, while Willy tries to sneak up front.

Riley LOVES to catch the breeze. This is my driver's side mirror view as we are leaving the Park.

Passenger's side mirror, not sure who this is!

Willy

Tasha, who is in my lap, and behind her Riley

Thanks for looking!

very nice

The scenery at the park looks very nice,the birds in the water,must be fall,your Bichons looked like they really enjoyed the walk in the park,having a rest,I assumed they had treats as well and enjoyed the ride in the car.
    thanks very much devon. I have been boo'd.

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. I love the close up of the 4 together! I can't seem to get my 2 to pose together :/

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Thanks for the tour with you and The Fluffs. It's been many moons since I've been in that neck of the woods. It sure looks like a good time was had by all. Smooches for each of those cuties.....

Gotta give Little Rhody a lot of credit too, for preserving so much of the natural environment, and not turning everything into shopping centers, condos, and a lot of other commercial money-grabbing ventures, too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Thanks for the pictures, a very interesting group of shots. Is Slater a city park or a State park?
    Loved the pics of the fuzzy butts. Tasha almost looks like she's thinking "are we there yet?"
    in her turning to look back at you.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Where - what town - is Slater Park in? My big sister is now working in Rhode ISland, and is a huge fan of elephants, so might want to stop and see Fanny one day!
    I've Been Frosted

Your walk and all the photos made me smile too. Thanks, I really enjoyed each one of them. It's amazing that you ever got all 4 to look "sort of" in the same direction. As someone said, I cant get my two little ones together for a pic. I bet your fluffs really enjoyed their walk. Thanks for showing us the pics. Here's one of your photos with a frame I did at picasa.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks like such a lovely place to walk!
    Thanks for all the pretty photos!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Where - what town - is Slater Park in? My big sister is now working in Rhode ISland, and is a huge fan of elephants, so might want to stop and see Fanny one day!
    Pawtucket
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by fritz03 View Post
    The scenery at the park looks very nice,the birds in the water,must be fall,your Bichons looked like they really enjoyed the walk in the park,having a rest,I assumed they had treats as well and enjoyed the ride in the car.
    Thank you Barry. Yes they DO get treats, it is the ONLY way we can walk past other dog walkers, lol. Otherwise they bark, bark BARK!

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Thanks for the pictures, a very interesting group of shots. Is Slater a city park or a State park?
    Loved the pics of the fuzzy butts. Tasha almost looks like she's thinking "are we there yet?"
    in her turning to look back at you.
    It is a city park.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    As Ellie said, it is in Pawtucket. The tribute to Fanny is by the children's playground. The actual zoo is long gone. They do now have a sort of Petting Zoo with a pony, goats, sheep, chickens and one very noisy rooster!

Quote Originally Posted by kaycountrygal View Post
    Your walk and all the photos made me smile too. Thanks, I really enjoyed each one of them. It's amazing that you ever got all 4 to look "sort of" in the same direction. As someone said, I cant get my two little ones together for a pic. I bet your fluffs really enjoyed their walk. Thanks for showing us the pics. Here's one of your photos with a frame I did at picasa.
    Kay, that is awesome! Thank you VERY MUCH for framing this photo for me, I shall print it out in a little bit.

Awesome photos Really beautiful park with lots of interesting things!
    I gotta say though, I don't understand how you manage to walk so many dogs without constantly ending up with a huge knot of leashes, lol