Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I train him not to meow all the time?

My guys do the same thing. They meow obsessively because they know it will eventually get you to feed them. They do it because it WORKS. And if you ignore them, they get annoyed because meows worked in the past, so they ramp it up and become more obnoxious. They don't understand why something that worked in the past isn't working now. So they meow louder, longer.

I've been working on ignoring them. They've been working on how to become louder and more obnoxious. Pouncer discovered how to bite the handle on the lid of a decorative jar, pick it up, and let it clang back into place, drop, repeat. MUCH more effective than a simple annoying meow. The others simply start knocking stuff over. But we're still ignoring them and not feeding them. After a while, they give up. But its after a loooong, noisy, and headache inducing while.

We're winning. Evenutally, they will just stop it all together. Its a process that will take some time. we've been doing it about 2 months now. It would have gone faster if my husband would be 100% consistent, but when he's tired or frustrated he doesn't want to deal with the meows coming from 7 cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    Why is it so expensive for something not great? I know the food has nothing to do with heart problem, but they said it's low in sodium which is important for his heart. They told me the other preventative foods were higher in sodium and there for not as good. Should I be looking into something else? When I asked before they said there was nothing.
    When it comes to dietary needs for medical conditions, PLEASE consult with your vet BEFORE making any dietary changes.

Royal Canin prescription food is actually very good for specific medical conditions and are expensive because a lot of research, etc, goes in to ensure that they help maintain/prevent medical conditions or problems.

Of course, some are biased on what constitutes a "good" versus "bad" food. There are a lot of myths out there. Bottom line - if your pet is doing well and the medical condition is being maintained, please stick with the food or talk with your vet before making any dietary changes, ESPECIALLY when it comes to prescription diets. When it comes to diets designed to prevent urinary issues/prevent stone formation, etc -- there are many different types of stones out there, different stones form in different pH, so therefore one diet may not work for all stone formations. That's why it is extremely important in cases of stone formation to consult with your vet about which diets work and what you should be using.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    When it comes to dietary needs for medical conditions, PLEASE consult with your vet BEFORE making any dietary changes.

Royal Canin prescription food is actually very good for specific medical conditions and are expensive because a lot of research, etc, goes in to ensure that they help maintain/prevent medical conditions or problems.

Of course, some are biased on what constitutes a "good" versus "bad" food. There are a lot of myths out there. Bottom line - if your pet is doing well and the medical condition is being maintained, please stick with the food or talk with your vet before making any dietary changes, ESPECIALLY when it comes to prescription diets. When it comes to diets designed to prevent urinary issues/prevent stone formation, etc -- there are many different types of stones out there, different stones form in different pH, so therefore one diet may not work for all stone formations. That's why it is extremely important in cases of stone formation to consult with your vet about which diets work and what you should be using.

I was just going to post something similar. If the food your feeding your cat is working for his medical condition, don't change the food unless you consult with your vet. I don't think he is meowing because he is wanting more nutrition. I don't think cats are that smart He could be being stubborn, thinking if he meows that he will get more food - whether he's hungry or not. Some cats can eat and eat and eat and never get full. Also, maybe he wants to eat when he's bored. I would do as others have suggested and play with him when he starts to meow. Then he'll get tired out and hopefully decide it's nap time.

Tire him out with play. Laser light, teaser wand, you name it. If you get him to play, he'll be tired and go to sleep.

You can't punish a cat for doing what comes naturally.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

When My Cats MEEEEEOOOW at me I take that as a compliment , as that means that they want you to know just how much they LOVE YOU!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    My cat meows ALL the time when he doesn't have food in his dish. It's not cute little quiet mews, it's loud annoying meows. Over, and over any time you move until you feed him. He isn't fat, but he's certainly not thin either. (He's got a belly that hangs though ) Since I lost my other cat, Kiba, I've been working out how much to feed him. I've been giving him what the bag says but it doesn't seem to be enough for him. I even give him extra sometimes because the meowing gets on my nerves. (I know this just makes him do it more, but sometimes I'm not in the mood to ignore it.)

I adopted him when he was 2 years old and already had this habit. I thought it was cute at first, but now it's annoying. I have no idea how to stop it. I tried squirting water at him when he meows but he just keeps meowing. I'll need to get a video of it so you can see how loud he is!

How can I make this stop?
    Spunky will do that. Sometimes it's food. Usually it's attention. Having 5 other cats isn't sufficient. He wants me to play and I oblige or I won't get anything done.

Hope you work it out.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Giving cuddles is good. Also a pinch of catnip might amuse him for a while.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Cali "yells" at me for food also. But her twist is if I ignore her for too long she uses my leg as a scratching post! But I sure do love my girly.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

What about getting him some of the cat toys where you put kibble in them and he has to bat them around to get the food out? That way he has to work for his food, it will be available longer, and he'll hopefully be too busy to cry all the time.

I have the same problem with Sherpa and he drives me crazy.