Thread: Can I train him not to meow all the time?

Hybrid View

Can I train him not to meow all the time?

My cat meows ALL the time when he doesn't have food in his dish. It's not cute little quiet mews, it's loud annoying meows. Over, and over any time you move until you feed him. He isn't fat, but he's certainly not thin either. (He's got a belly that hangs though ) Since I lost my other cat, Kiba, I've been working out how much to feed him. I've been giving him what the bag says but it doesn't seem to be enough for him. I even give him extra sometimes because the meowing gets on my nerves. (I know this just makes him do it more, but sometimes I'm not in the mood to ignore it.)

I adopted him when he was 2 years old and already had this habit. I thought it was cute at first, but now it's annoying. I have no idea how to stop it. I tried squirting water at him when he meows but he just keeps meowing. I'll need to get a video of it so you can see how loud he is!

How can I make this stop?

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Good luck, but I've never been able to silence a meower when they get going. It's been said that you can't out-stubborn a cat, and I've found that to be very true. I think you just need to grin and bear it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Yeah I'm thinking that too. He's now almost 9 years old. I'm just pretty sure it's gotten worse since I've been feeding him less.

I've even tried to "punish" him by cuddling and hugging. Kiba would get annoying if I cuddled too long or if she didn't feel like being held anymore...it doesn't work on Shadow though. He just sits there and purrs.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

My Angel does the same thing. Her meow is very annoying. Wouldn't even call it a meow, more like screaming at me! If you find out how to stop it, let me know!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Does he have any siamese in him? Siamese are known to be very loud and very talkactive. My petite little girl Pearl has the loudest voice and she'll also some times meow so loudly that she wakes me up. He may not necessarily want food all of the time but just some attention. Maybe you could play with him for a while instead of always feeding him. Good luck.

Eve has a tendency to be very vocal most of the time. When she gets insistent about something the meows get louder - very disconcerting for such a tiny girl. I have learned that if I speak to her in a strong, but soft voice and tell her she is "yelling" - she simmers down to a soft mew. Don't know why but it works.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    My cat meows ALL the time when he doesn't have food in his dish. It's not cute little quiet mews, it's loud annoying meows. Over, and over any time you move until you feed him. He isn't fat, but he's certainly not thin either. (He's got a belly that hangs though ) Since I lost my other cat, Kiba, I've been working out how much to feed him. I've been giving him what the bag says but it doesn't seem to be enough for him. I even give him extra sometimes because the meowing gets on my nerves. (I know this just makes him do it more, but sometimes I'm not in the mood to ignore it.)

I adopted him when he was 2 years old and already had this habit. I thought it was cute at first, but now it's annoying. I have no idea how to stop it. I tried squirting water at him when he meows but he just keeps meowing. I'll need to get a video of it so you can see how loud he is!

How can I make this stop?
    Spunky will do that. Sometimes it's food. Usually it's attention. Having 5 other cats isn't sufficient. He wants me to play and I oblige or I won't get anything done.

Hope you work it out.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Giving cuddles is good. Also a pinch of catnip might amuse him for a while.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Cali "yells" at me for food also. But her twist is if I ignore her for too long she uses my leg as a scratching post! But I sure do love my girly.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21