Thread: Raw Food Diet

Raw Food Diet

Robin is the most finicky eater I've ever had. She likes nothing except cheeseburgers and chicken sandwiches - or whatever her daddy happens to be eating at the time. I've about gone broke in the last few months trying to find a food she likes. First time she'll inhale it, second time she'll eat it, second time she'll walk away, but then go back, third time fuhgetaboudit!

So, I've tried something called RAD Cat - Raw food diet for cats. It's $5.99 for a small container so I didn't want to buy much of it in case she pulled the usual routine. But low and behold - she's eaten the whole container! She didn't inhale it at first, so I was worrried, but she continued to eat. The next day she didn't inhale, but she continued to eat. I'd MUCH rather have her continue to eat than inhale, but it's just out of character for her. She's finished the free-range chicken and is starting on the free-range turkey today then onto the pasture raised lamb in a few days - sheesh, I don't even eat free-range chicken or turkey!

Anyway, I've heard of other people seeing this "dramatic turnaround" once their cats start eating raw diets, so I was wondering what all your experiences were with it. So far the only difference I see in her is a full tummy compared to her bare-to-the bones normal physic.

So, any experiences with raw diets? Is one name brand better than another and more importantly, can I find the name brands across the country? When we are in California for the winter it's relatively easy to find things since there's a Pet Smart & a Petco local, but when we're here in the the Tetons I need to have things shipped, or find them in Jackson, WY, which is so devoid of chain stores it's not even funny......but I kinda like it that way.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Does it include supplemental nutrients like taurine? As I am guessing it doesn't come in "mouse" flavor!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, it would contain the proper nutrients, here is a link:
    http://www.radfood.com/

If Robin likes it, that is good news. I can well imagine it is quite costly. Would you consider preparing foods for her yourself? It will cost less, and you can find plenty of info using Google and put in: raw cat diet

Here is a good link as she discusses the equipment you will need:
    http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingc...%20vs%20Cooked

It will take some time up front, finding sources for what you need, but long term it would be a great way to go. If you can afford the RAD diet, that would be good too.

I think I also tried Rad Cat in the chicken and turkey. This was when I still had Starr and I was hoping that it would help his IBD. Most of my cats seemed to like the chicken but some of them didn't like the turkey. Unfortunately it made Starr's diarrhea worse so I stopped buying it. I never fed it exclusively though. I've been feeding grain free diets to my cats for many years now and I did notice a change with this.

1. They're more active & alert
    2. There's less stool waste
    3. Their coats are much softer, shiny, & healthy looking
    4. They don't need to eat as much of it
    5. Yes, it's more expensive but like I said they eat less so it lasts just as long as the cheaper brands of grain food
    6. It's high in protein which cats need and it helps to keep them healthier

I'm sure that feeding a raw diet will have the same benefits as the above. I hope that Robin will continue to like Rad Cat and do well on it. Good luck.

I can add I do as Tracy does. High quality grain free food. Small poops, the pudgy cats slimmed down (except for Crystal, lol), they are healthy and coats are shiny.

You can find some info about cat foods here:
    http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

I fed Taste of the Wild for several years. That became unavailable for a time as of April of this year and I switched to Earthborn Holistics - they offer grain free formulas as well.

Thanks for the replies. I've been feeding grain free for several years now too, but Robin is just too picky! Jackie is in heaven because he gets all the good food that I buy for her.....that she ends up not eating.

So far she has continued to eat the Rad food, and I think she has given up completely on the dry and other wet I have out for her. She started on the lamb today and has eaten the full container of the chicken and turkey. I bought more so i thought I'd have enough until the weekend again, but at the rate she's eating it, I don't think the food will last!!!

And as compared to most who have seen their cats slim down, I'm hoping she GAINS weight on this, and so far I think it's working because she has a nice round tummy these days, which she hasn't had in years.

So far so good, but any other input would be appreciated.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh my that is great news! She is so finicky she's been thin, huh? Gee whiz, makes you wonder what she REALLY thinks of the 'old' stuff ha haaa. I'm glad she is filling out!

If I could afford it, the RAD diet is what I woulf feed my cats. I'm happy that Robin likes it and id putting on weight!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I have been making my own cat food for years for my guys. What I have found is that they will gain weight (but not too much). It seems much easier to maintain them at a healthy weight using the home made food. Because I put pumpkin in, it reduces hair balls DRAMATICALLY and I don't generally have any problems with constipation.

The gang likes the home made food but I will give them store bought canned food once in awhile as a treat

Blog Entries
    I have had too many cats to count in my 49 yrs. What works for one, may not work for another. They are all individuals in my opinion and should be treated as such. Seems to take a little time for them to figure out what they like. Then when they do, well they will probably change thier mind. Paying very close attention to our furry little friends seems to do the trick.