Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this mean an ER visit? Tommy is fine #15

Does this mean an ER visit? Tommy is fine #15

I noticed Tommy was drooling, and thought, well that's odd. Opened his mouth, he shook to get out of my reach and . . . his fang dropped out! He is an indoor only cat, about age 4 (I have to check).

It is after hours (of course!) so I am trying to figure out if I have to get him to the ER vet tonight or can this wait till morning? I'm thinking he must have a hole in his mouth, open to infection, needs a stitch or 2?

I tried taking photos, but my camera doesn't like doing things this small.

I tried a butter knife in this one for size

And a ruler, it is a full INCH long!

Last edited by Freedom; 09-13-2012 at 11:28 AM.

It does not look like there's any blood involved, so I'd say no to the need for an ER visit. Does he seem to be in pain at all? Is he eating and drinking okay?
    I've Been Frosted

He raced under the bed and won't look at me, lol. You are right, no blood, no roots??? This is so bizarre!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    He raced under the bed and won't look at me, lol. You are right, no blood, no roots??? This is so bizarre!
    Yup, so it's not like he ripped it out attacking someone or thing! Just watch him when he emerges from hiding, it would be a good idea to get the vet to look at his teeth anyway, as there's likely gum disease or something that caused this, but nothing urgent to need an ER visit tonight, and the expense and trauma to you both/all!
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I don't think it's an emergency. Make an appointment next chance you get for a dental. And start saving your money.
    Their teeth are so tiny, but our vet charges about $100 a tooth for an extraction. Hopefully, Tommy will get a clean bill of health.

Give Tommy a special (soft) treat. He just saved you $100 by getting rid of the tooth himself.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    He just saved you $100 by getting rid of the tooth himself.
    LOL thanks Karen, Kuhio! Whew. Will wait till the morning. Um, does this mean the Tooth Fairy has to make a visit tonight? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    LOL thanks Karen, Kuhio! Whew. Will wait till the morning. Um, does this mean the Tooth Fairy has to make a visit tonight? LOL
    We would like the kitty tooth fairy to deliver hugs, snuggles and lovies. I hope Tommy's toothies are okay! Tommy, sweety, please come out from under the bed so mum can look at your mouth. Please please.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It worked, Elise, he heard you and came out! It is an upper tooth which came out. BIG hole, looks like 2 spaces? Not bleeding, though.

My opinion - go first thing in the morning, but I think you're OK for tonight. You need to see (just like in humans!) what caused the tooth to release.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Agree, Maggie! I plan to phone first thing and see what time they can fit us in.

Fortunately this doesn't require a trip to the ER. My Poppy also lost a fang last year and I just brought him to my regular vet. Unfortunately his broke off and the root was still in the gum, so he had to have that removed. But while he was under he got his teeth cleaned and he did just fine. I'm sure your Tommy will also.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I'm sorry to hear that he lost his tooth. Hopefully his vet visit will go well and the rest of his teeth are fine. Good luck.

My cat Sky's upper canine is slightly chipped. My vet said that it's nothing to worry about yet but in the future he may need to have it extracted.

Filou lost a fang once and we never found it. We do not know exactly how long it took us to even notice (he didn't smile with his tip of fangs out ). Anyway once the vet saw it she was purrfectly fine with it. No need to interfere. Hope it goes just as well with Tommy.

That looks like the entire canine tooth, root and all. The canine is a single rooted tooth, and the largest rooted tooth (the root is typically 2/3 the size of the entire tooth itself). My only concern would be infection; a tooth that comes out WHOLE with no breakage often indicates there was infection present in the first place that broke down the ligaments and attachments. It wouldn't hurt to swing by the vet just to make sure there isn't infection present and, since the canine is the largest rooted tooth and leaves the largest hole in the gum/jaw, I would make sure there is nothing stuck up in there and make sure it doesn't need to be sutured closed, but I would not consider it an ER visit.

Good luck... and a side-note, drooling is often a sign of oral pain in cats.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Their teeth are so tiny, but our vet charges about $100 a tooth for an extraction.
    :O That is crazy! Even canine 3-root teeth extractions we certainly don't charge anywhere near $100 per extraction!!! Or very often our cat FORL dental or greyhound dentals would cost over a thousand dollars!!!!!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post

Good luck... and a side-note, drooling is often a sign of oral pain in cats.

:O That is crazy! Even canine 3-root teeth extractions we certainly don't charge anywhere near $100 per extraction!!! Or very often our cat FORL dental or greyhound dentals would cost over a thousand dollars!!!!!
    I knew the drooling was an issue, which is why I picked him up in the first place, lol. And having just been through it with Willy, my vet charges $126 per tooth for extractions, up to the first 5, then it drops to $100 for the next 5. OK, back to Tommy:

Tommy saw the vet this morning. He had a shot of Convenia for antibiotics, and a shot of (I forget!) for inflammation. The vet said in this case (no roots, no bleeding) we were fine to wait till this morning. Tommy probably was not comfortable and was feeling it, but not too bad and both the shots will help him feel better. She expected to see a mouth full of tartar and plaque as that is normally the case when a tooth drops out -- but no, the rest of his teeth look good! So it is odd. He has a bit of tartar, nothing unusual for a 5 year old cat, and better than many.

My vet said / agreed with much of what I'd learned on here last night from many of you. It didn't need an ER trip; the canine is at least half up in the gum, and half showing; usually the tooth breaks off and because so much of it is under the gum, the vets have a time of it digging around to get the rest out so we were lucky it came out whole; and lucky he didn't swallow it, lol. And yes he DID save me money by having it drop out like this. So kudos to all who provided insight.

It sure was a shocker when that tooth dropped and hit the table last night, ha haa.

Thanks everyone!