Thread: An Unexpected Rescue! (Not a reptile!!)

Threaded View

An Unexpected Rescue! (Not a reptile!!)

Soooo...today was the first day I was *officially* the manager of my store. Among other topics of discussion was "should we get a store pet?" Of course, we wanted to, but so many things were changing so fast that I decided to wait until the new year to decide on a store pet. Sometimes though, life has other plans...Early in the evening, one of my warehouse employees wandered up front looking a little puzzled. He asked me if we took in animals, and I said no. Then I said "wait....why?". Apparently, someone was out back trying to donate a budgie to the Goodwill next door! Needless to say, Goodwill didn't want a budgie.

I wandered out back and there was a lovely little bird with a decent cage (It's 24"x16"x16", so not bad), nice toys, and a variety of sizes/materials of perches. Everything (except the little pink ladder) was very clean, and it's obvious that she's been well cared for. There are pellets and seed in her bowl and it seems that she likes both of them. So, we dubbed her "Iris" and she's going to stay! For the sake of keeping her transition as stress-free as possible, we haven't changed or added anything yet, but ALL of us immediately started poking around the bird toys to see what we wanted to buy for her later. She's going to be one well-equipped little bird.

I do have two questions for the more bird-experienced folks. One: She's not tame...How likely is it that she will tame down, and can anyone point me to a link with instructions for taming an adult budgie? Two: Does she need a friend? If so, how do I go about introducing a friend? Is the cage big enough for two budgies?

Here's the lovely lady:

Last edited by snakemama; 09-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.