Thread: Please help

Hybrid View

Please help

I have 2 dogs, Bob is a 6 month old male chow mix and Izzi is a 5 month old Boston Terrier female. First for Bob, he is potty trained and even rings a bell to go outside but lattely he has been playing around outside and not going to the bathroom until he comes back inside. How can I stop this?!?!?!
    Izzy has never been potty trained, I've been crate training both of them, Bob got it Izzy never did. Soon as you get her out of her cage and bring her back in from outside she is using the bathroom on the floor, I'm at the end of my rope here and I don't want to get rid of her but I can't have her using the floor as my grandbabies are always on the floor, please some one please help me.............................................

They are both very smart, both know sit, down, loose leach walking

What is your daily routine with the two pups? How much exercise do they get? I am certain that because Izzi does her business inside, Bob is getting the message that it's the place to do it, too. So the sooner you get this solved, the better! And what happened with crate training Izzi?
    I've Been Frosted

Have you tried the tether method? That works for many dogs. You can read up on it here:
    http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/umbiltrng.htm

Are you using a command? My dogs have learned to pee on command, I use "busies," as in "do your busies!" When they "go" outside, you have a PAWTY! Dance, clap, laugh, jump in a circle, praise praise PRAISE and REWARD. Keep a baggie of treats in your pocket, or ready to grab in the fridge. Give lots and lots of treats when they go outside. When they go indoors, clean it up, no scolding. You can make sounds of disgust (ick, yucky!) but do NOT make eye contact with the dog. Clean up and move on.

For treats you need small high value bits. Hot dog, cheese (string or cheddar work well) and boiled skinless boneless chicken breast. For example, one hot dog makes at least 60 treats. The bits are SMALL. But at the start, you reward lavishly giving many small bits to reinforce the good behavior.

If your neighbors and your dog are looking at you like you are nuts, you are celebrating correctly. Anything less is not going to work.

Ok Freedom I do that but what do you do when they are teethered to you and they start to do on the floor in front of you? I try to stop the accident by calling their name but it doesn't do any good.

[QUOTE=Karen;2436260]What is your daily routine with the two pups?

A: We get up in the morning and out to the bathroom then back in cages till about lunch when they go to the bathroom again, then out to play for a few hours (or until they mess on the floor) back to the cage late afternoon till about 5 or 5:30 and then to the bathroom (oh ya they go to the bathroom before going into the cage also) then they play in the house untill bedtime.
    How much exercise do they get? I am certain that because Izzi does her business inside, Bob is getting the message that it's the place to do it, too. So the sooner you get this solved, the better! And what happened with crate training Izzi?

[B]A: I'm still doing it with both, Bob gets to stay out a whole lot more than Izzi cause he asks to go out most of the time.[/B]

You have to tune in to her 'cues.' Some dogs circle, some sniff, others drop their head. Whatever she does just before she goes, then you swoop down and scoop her up, take her outside and put her down. Don't try to walk her out, at least not at the start, that won't work. As you have discovered.

I've tried with the cues, she don't do anything just walks over and goes. Drives me nuts lol Theres no difference from walking across the room to going to the bathroom with her, I don't understand it!!!

OK then, try this.

Dogs will have to go a set amount of time after they eat. I have 2 who have to pee right after, and 2 who wait and pee in half an hour. Similarly, most have to poop about 2 hours after they eat. Start timing it and see if you can figure out her schedule from that.