Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    1,000-Lb. Pig Rescues Cat After Fire

Three days after a fire blazed through a New Hampshire farm on Sept. 6, the only thing more devastating than the physical damage was the presumed death toll: 14 horses and three cats.
    But if there was someone who hadn't lost hope, it was Colby, the farm's 1,000-lb. pig.
    After breakfast, the Bedford, N.H., Perry Hill Farm mascot, characteristically slow and sluggish, started wandering into the woods nearby.
    "She was on a mission," her caregiver and farm owner Harriet Finks, who followed the pig, tells ABCnews.com. "For her, it was quite a distance."
    The 9-year-old pig, sniffing around the woods, led her caregivers to Gumbo, one of the cats they never found after the fire.
    "He would have died out there," Finks said. "Now we have him back."
    Gumbo's ears, tail, back and one side of his body were charred from the fire, and the burns on his feet prevented him from walking. His whiskers were gone.
    But he's now home with Colby after spending a month in a veterinarian's care – and he's spending time with his sister Gidget, who found her way back to the farm two weeks after the fire. She, too, had been presumed dead. (Seven other cats, seven ponies, two goats and a miniature horse also survived.)

"We're thankful for Miss Colby," added Finks. "We're thankful for everyone."

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

A Mystery Hero in Water Rescue by Vera H-C Chan

A slip, a scary splash, then a scream. It took just seconds for a two-year-old girl to fall 20 feet into New York's East River waters. Many reacted quickly to rescue 2-year-old Bridgette Sheriden, but two men reacted even faster: Bridgette's father David Anderson and a still unknown French tourist who, after helping in the rescue, walked way and took a cab to destinations unknown.

They won the lottery - and gave the money away

Allen and Violet Large, a loving elderly couple from Nova Scotia, Canada, won $11.2 million in the lottery. But instead of living happily ever after in luxury, they decided to give their winnings away.
    Worried about scam artists and content with their average, peaceful lifestyle, they decided that the money would bring them unnecessary stress. They helped their family with some of the money and then divided the rest of the money between churches, organizations fighting cancer, Alzheimer's and diabetes, the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, cemeteries, hospitals, also their local fire department.
    The couple has no regrets. "What you've never had, you never miss", Violet said. They are happy just to have each other.

Many years ago I was on my way from Vancouver to the Shuswap area of British Columbia to visit my parents and sister. The Greyhound bus was full - we were all getting comfy and soon the bus was lumbering on its way.

Across the aisle and just one row up a man was battling a cough. It wasn't all that loud, but it was quite constant and we all sensed that this would be one of those things we would put up with during the trip. I put my hands in my coat pockets and found about a half-dozen wrapped hard candies. I had forgotten they were there and didn't want them so I reached across to the man and offered them, saying it might help his cough.

I will always remember the look of relief and gratitude on his face, as well as the silent but huge sigh of relief from all others aboard.

We completed our various journeys in comfortable quiet.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Out of the Mouth of Babes.

I received a call from my daughter she said, She was shopping with her son Dionte 5 years old at a Wal-mart store when he yelled out to her with excitement saying. Mom, Mom look a Super Hero. She turned to look at said son I don’t see any Super Hero. Once again he said mom look while pointing to a woman wearing military fatigues. Mom it’s a Super Hero. A passerby heard what had been said and turned to Dionte and said you are so right. She is our SUPER HERO. Thanks for Serving.
    William and Digna Suarez of Colorado Springs. CO

Undefeated Arizona high school football team lends bullied special-needs teen girl some tactical defense

A group of kindhearted seniors on Arizona’s Queen Creek High School football team have helped Chy Johnson, 16, fight bullies. She has a brain disorder that once made her an easy target for some peers.

By Charlie Wells / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

A harassed special-needs student, Chy Johnson, 16, got some special help from her schools’s undefeated football team.

They’re an undefeated team used to throwing touchdowns, and now they’re making high school better for a girl used to bullies throwing trash at her.

A group of kindhearted seniors on Arizona’s Queen Creek High School football team have lent Chy Johnson some tactical defense, helping a girl whose brain disorder once made her an easy target for bullies.

The new friendship started when Elizabeth Johnson, whose daughter said girls threw trash on her at school, contacted starting quarterback Carson Jones.

Chy Johnson, 16, suffers from a brain disorder that made her an easy target for peers.

“I emailed Carson, told him that Chy was having some issues, was just wanting some names,” she told a local television station.

“He took it a step further and went and gathered Chy up at lunch and she’s been eating lunch with them ever since,” Johnson said.

Jones, fellow teammate Tucker Workman and many other Queen Creek Bulldogs have also started looking after Chy throughout the day, a move that has stopped people from bothering her.

“I guess they’ve seen her with us or something,” Jones said.

Carson Jones and teammate Tucker Workman have undertaken to look after Chy throughout the day, a move that has stopped people from bothering her.

Teammate Workman said it feels good to know that the players are helping someone who needs a little help.

“We’re doing good and everything for us is going well but someone else needs to feel good, too,” he said.

This is a big change for Chy, who suffers from a brain disorder called microcephaly. It’s a condition which makes her head smaller than normal and usually renders life expectancy down to only 25 or 30 years.

But for now, the 16-year-old sophomore calls the players “her team.”

The Queen Creek High School Bulldogs have been nominated for the Americas Team award for their big-hearted actions.

“They save me because I won’t get hurt again,” she said. “They’re not mean to me because all my boys love me,” she said, just recently named a Queen Creek High School “Fan of the Week.”

As for the Bulldogs, they have been nominated for the Americas Team award for their big-hearted actions.

They also won their football game Friday night, 49-6.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2AmKCmrwY
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Ian’s story:

My event took place two weeks ago at the Eagle River Carrs (A grocery store here in Alaska). My daughter and I were standing in line to purchase some items for dinner that night. As my daughter and I were talking and waiting I would periodically look up to see where we were in the check-out process. As the last item was rung up for the woman in front of me, she reached into her wallet to pull out her payment method and realized her bank cards were left at home and the $7 she had on her wouldn't cover the cost of her groceries.
    As tears began to well up in her eyes and her child screamed out from impatience I told the cashier that her items were part of my daughter and my own bundle of items. She looked at me with confusion and I leaned over and told her not to say anything but if she ever got the chance to return the favor for a random family in the future, that she take the opportunity. She smiled, had her items loaded into her cart, then went on her way. I never got her name but as she walked away I looked down at my daughter and the smile on her face let me know she learned a valuable lesson. And that is all the payment I need.

Elyse,
    Thank you so very much for sharing this wonderful story! There are good kids out there and this proves it. All of these team members deserve all the credit they can receive for stepping up to help and protect this young girl from further abuse. How great that they had such a decisive victory! This story belongs on the front page of every newspaper everywhere! May this wonderful team enjoy many many more victories for the good they're doing!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Free Gas
    I was pumping gas on a day when I had only $10 until payday. When I went inside to pay, the pump had been pre-paid with a twenty dollar bill by a stranger! The clerk said the person's instructions were simply, when the next person who comes in to pay with cash, surprise them with free gas. I was so surprised and have repeated the act of kindness twice since. The clerk has fun too!

When Allison Winn was eight and her family adopted a dog named Coco, they had no idea how much the little bichon frise would change her life. “Coco helped me feel better,” says Allison, who was recuperating from 14 months of treatment for a brain tumor at the time. “She would cuddle with me when I didn’t want to play.” Allison loved Coco so much that she told her parents she wanted to help other sick kids find the same kind of comfort.
    She started small, raising money by selling lemonade and homemade dog biscuits in front of her house. Her first customer was the mailman. By the end of that summer, she had raised nearly $1,000, enough to adopt, train, and spay or neuter two dogs and give them to children with cancer. Now, a little more than two years later, corporate groups and civic organizations gather to make dog treats at a Denver kitchen for Allison’s cause.
    Her organization, the Stink Bug Project, named after a picture she drew commemorating the end of her chemotherapy, is run and managed in partnership with the Morgan Adams Foundation. Stink Bug helps families adopt pets from the Colorado Correctional Industries Prison Trained K9 Companion Program, where inmates teach commands to rescued dogs. To date, the program has raised $33,000 and facilitated the adoption of ten dogs, paying for the $450 adoption fee plus a starter kit of a dog bed and crate, food, toys, a leash, and a collar, which gets embroidered with the pet’s name and phone number. “We ask the kids their favorite color,” Allison says, so she can coordinate ribbons for the dogs.
    With the leftover funds, Allison’s mother, Dianna Litvak, who helps run Stink Bug, hopes to extend the pet-adoption program statewide and continue donating some of the proceeds to help fund pediatric cancer research.
    Her daughter is just as ambitious. “I wanted to do a million adoptions, but my mom made me lower it,” says Allison. Still, she’d eventually like to get dogs to sick kids in other states.
    “Allison has figured out how to help—in a way that no one else has,” Litvak says proudly. “We involve her younger sister, Emily, her friends, the adopting families, and the women at the prison. It took the love of a little girl to wrap all that together into one amazing package.”
    Go to stinkbugproject.org to donate or to buy Allison’s dog biscuits.

Thankful for Safety
    I live in the midwest where we get a lot of snow. One night I got off work late and it was nearly a white out with all the driving snow. I caught up to a county snow plow and followed him the next 20 miles to my home town. We were the only two vehicles on the road. He pulled into the same gas station I did to fuel up. When I went inside to pay I picked out a big chocolate chip cookie and told the clerk to give it to the plow truck driver when he came in to pay. I appreciated that he was out working late in terrible conditions so that I could make it home safely!

Nancy Lawlor collects bouquets—flowers from hotels and weddings and corporate events, in cities like New York and Los Angeles. Then she gives them away to people in need, often breaking down larger bouquets so there’s more to go around.

Lawlor was inspired to start her nonprofit organization, FlowerPower, eight years ago. Sitting in the lobby of the Waldorf Astoria, she was riveted by its towering floral displays. Where did they go at the end of the day? After getting her answer — a Dumpster — Lawlor volunteered to take them away instead. Once the hotel agreed, Lawlor delivered $2,000 worth of large pink bouquets to a New York City hospital. “It all started with one person saying yes,” she says.

To date, FlowerPower has distributed more than $2.5 million worth of flowers to hospitals, rape crisis centers, and rehabilitation clinics. The bouquets last several days, giving patients a healthy dose of good cheer. “I’ve seen thousands of people transformed,” she says, “all over a simple bouquet of flowers that originally would’ve been thrown away.” Now, that’s a beautiful arrangement.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Lisa - thank you for your dedication to this thread, and thank you to others that have posted stories too. We read of so much bad in the world today, that it is refreshing to read of the good all around us that would otherwise go unnoticed and unacknowledged.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 11-04-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Lisa - thank you for your dedication to this thread, and thank you to others that have posted stories too. We read of so much bad in the world today, that it is refreshing to read of the good all around us that would otherwise go unnoticed and unacknowledged.
    It's heartening to hear that people are reading and enjoying. I love hearing stories from others and am enjoying searching for more stories.
    I set a personal goal this year to not forward on any of those sad, awful e-mails we get daily. I found myself getting so depressed reading sad stories about man's inhumanity to man and animals. Who does it help to spread that sick news around the globe? I've found that I'm happier these days since I've been concentrating on sharing stories about people and animals who help make the world a kinder, nicer place to be.