Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 747484950515253545556575859606162 LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Crocheting for a Cause: 500 plastic bags are a comfort for the homeless

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A local mission group has found a creative way to recycle plastic grocery bags into a form of security and comfort for the homeless.

It is not your typical woman's group. The ladies were actually part of a book club that has found a passion for a unique type of crocheting.

Carol Bell has been doing it for 12 years.

"We're flattening the bags. Once you cut them into strips you loop them, once they are looped you started to make a ball. What you're going to do is take it, feed what has become a ball of plastic yarn through here. Now you've got it and you can roll it up and make a bigger ball," Bell demonstrated.

Then, the crochet needles go to work. The recycled plastic is quilted into a large padded mat.

"I take them when I get my car fixed and people come up and they want to know what I am doing," Bell said.

Bell and her new friends are part of a mission called Crocheting Compassion. They are making mats for the homeless. It takes roughly 500 plastic bags to make one.

Martha Dishongh said it is truly a labor of love.

"I timed it once and it took eight hours to do preparation of all the bags and then eight hours to crochet a 3x6 mat," Dishongh explained.

She has crocheted eleven mats this year.

Once they are finished, the mats are rolled and organizer, Gerry Stark, takes them to the Capital Area Alliance for the Homeless. Stark said while the work it is rewarding, it also comes with a harsh realization.

"It breaks my heart that I may only have six to 12 mats to deliver when there are dozens of men and women who would love to have one," Stark said.

But word of their work is spreading fast.

"I've been to New Orleans. I've been all over showing people how to do it," Bell said.

She said when she stitches plastic bags in public it draws a crowd. Once people learn the ladies are crocheting compassion they often times want to become part of the process.

Faith Presbyterian Church
    12855 Old Hammond Hwy
    Baton Rouge, LA 70816
    Time: Thursdays, 10a-12p
    [email protected]

First Baptist Church of Baton Rouge Homeless Ministry
    [email protected]

East Baton Rouge Parish Libraries Crocheting for a Cause
    Jones Creek Regional Branch Library
    6222 Jones Creek Road
    Baton Rouge, LA 70817
    First Tuesday of the Month, 1p-3p
    Schedule for offerings at Main Library coming early 2015
    [email protected]

The 2015 schedule of Crocheting for a Cause at the Main Library
    7711 Goodwood Blvd.
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Beginning Jan. 14: second Wednesday of the month in Teen Activity Room, 3p-5p
    Beginning Jan. 22: fourth Sunday of the month in Conference Room 102, 3p-5p
    Video: http://www.wafb.com/clip/10937333/cr...r-the-homeless

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

What a fascinating idea! And so much more useful that the discarded bags one sees stuck in trees by the roadside! It even seems like it would be a good mat to kneel on when gardening, too - I can think of many ways they can be used. But so much of staying warm is about insulation for homeless folks - anything between them and the cold ground is a good thing!
    I've Been Frosted

Mysterious Ways: Door-to-Door Delivery
    His sister wanted their late mother's chair, but how could he afford to ship it all the way to Arizona?
    By John R. Short III, Jefferson City, Missouri

The U-Haul office in Grove, Oklahoma, was nearly empty that Wednesday the week before Thanksgiving. Just one other person ahead of me.

“I’ll be with you in just a few minutes,” the counter clerk said. I nodded and sat on a bench next to the desk, anxious to be on my way.

Last time I was here, seven years ago, it was to move Mom into her new duplex. Now Mom had passed away, and since I lived closer than my two sisters, I was responsible for emptying Mom’s place and driving our beloved family treasures to my place in Missouri. Part of me wished I wasn’t.

With both of our parents now gone, my sisters and I had discussed how to divide their things, and for the most part it had all gone smoothly.

My sister Shari, out in Arizona, immediately latched onto the cozy, dark blue, wingback chair that had been a fixture in our family’s living room for years.

How many Christmases had Dad sat there, watching us open presents? That was where Mom often thumbed through her Bible, praying for us kids.

Shari had our blessing to take it... but the costs to ship it to her were astronomical. I barely had time to make this U-Haul trip, never mind another in the opposite direction. The chair would have to come with me to Missouri, at least for the foreseeable future.

Shari was heartbroken. She resigned herself to taking some smaller, more easily transported mementos.

While the clerk finished up with the other customer, I thought about my sister’s dilemma. I felt guilty. I didn’t even have a good place to put that old chair.

“And finally, where are you taking the trailer?” I overheard the clerk ask the man.

“Phoenix,” he replied, “well, actually, closer to Mesa.”

Arizona! Before I had time to think about what I was doing, I got up and said, “Excuse me, but would you mind taking a chair with you?”

The man looked understandably perplexed, so I quickly explained the situation.

“My name’s Dan,” he said, shaking my hand, “and I would be happy to help.”

Dan came by Mom’s duplex the next day. “I can’t thank you enough,” I said. “This must be a big inconvenience. Let me give you gas money, at least.”

“No need,” Dan said. "My own sister lives in Gilbert, the same city where your sister lives. I was already planning to stop by. It’s not out of the way at all.”

Aww, that's nice!
    I've Been Frosted

I keep thinking of that crocheting one, Kuhio, I may bring it up at church in case any of the committees think it would be a good project. And in fact, we have several Scout Groups that meet in our building, maybe a troop could take it on! My Dad earned to crochet as a kid, it kept him in his chair when his asthma was bad and he was not supposed to go outside and play!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I keep thinking of that crocheting one, Kuhio, I may bring it up at church in case any of the committees think it would be a good project. And in fact, we have several Scout Groups that meet in our building, maybe a troop could take it on! My Dad earned to crochet as a kid, it kept him in his chair when his asthma was bad and he was not supposed to go outside and play!
    Karen ~ That's great. When I get home (I'm at work in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska), I was thinking about contacting them to see if they have a video on how to prepare the bags. It seems like that is the most time-consuming part. If they have good directions, I was thinking about cutting some bags and mailing them so that they could make the mats faster.

Philadelphia Pizza Shop Pays It Forward, One Slice at a Time

Mason Wartman is bringing a slice of New York City to Philadelphia.

Formerly on Wall Street, Wartman, 27, saw how successful $1 pizza shops are in Manhattan, then decided to move back home to Philadelphia and start up one his own.

His Rosa's Fresh Pizza – named for his mother – opened in December 2013, and little did Wartman know what it would develop into three months later, reports Philly station WPVI.

In March 2014, a customer asked if he could buy a slice for someone in need. It wasn't long before Wartman got Post-It notes and drew a smiley face on them, to symbolize a free slice.

Nine months and about 8,000 slices later, the pizza shop is now covered with colorful Post-Its sharing inspiring messages of motivation or gratitude, such as "you can do it" and "you are beautiful."

One man wrote, "God bless you. Because of you I ate off this plate, the only thing I ate all day."

Wartman feeds about 30 to 40 homeless people a day, ABC News reports.

He treats every customer the same, no matter if he or she is on the receiving or giving end of the pizza slice.

As Wartman told WPVI, "They deserve to eat in the store and enjoy the music as much as any other paying customer would."

A Perfect Way to Say Thank You
    Celebrate veterans, take a moment to show you care.
    By Sabra Ciancanelli

Carolyn Blashek is living proof that tragedy can inspire us to do great deeds. After the terrorist attacks on September 11, Carolyn knew she had to find a way to support our country.

Her first instinct was to join the military. She headed to the recruitment office to enlist but the then-46-year-old mother of two was turned away because of her age. A little rejection didn’t discourage her.

Determined to get involved, Carolyn volunteered at a military lounge at the Los Angeles International Airport where she comforted deploying service members.

During heartfelt conversations with men and woman heading into war zones, Carolyn recognized a deep need for troops to know that someone at home truly cares about them. It was then that she got the idea to send care packages like she had done to comfort her children when they were away from home.

In 2003, Carolyn started her non-profit organization, Operation Gratitude, in her living room, making care packages using just a few boxes and some donated items. From there, the effort snowballed with donations and requests for packages pouring in. As of this year, Operation Gratitude has sent more than 1.1 million care packages. Guideposts has joined Operation Gratitude’s mission by sending 10,000 copies of Guideposts magazine to our troops every month.

For a soldier, sailor, airman or Marine, these packages are more than just boxes of snacks and entertainment. These gifts of love, with handwritten notes of thanks inside, are a way for our troops to know that they have not been forgotten, that they are valued and that their service is appreciated.

“The letter always ends up being the most precious gift in the care packages,” says Carolyn. Many of the troops return the thanks, sending notes back to Operation Gratitude, like this one:

“My shipmates and I have enjoyed the cookies…. I’ve enjoyed reading through the Guidepost magazine, and am looking forward to reading the Mark Twain book. The beanie baby (a plush lizard) is looking forward to traveling the world and eventually finding a new home (along with world travel pictures) with a 6 year old family friend. Thanks so much for the all the packages you’ve sent!” –L.A.

Every day is a good day to show your appreciation for the many sacrifices our troops and veterans make but as we celebrate Veterans Day, it’s an exceptionally perfect time to take a moment to show you care.

Bagel Shop's Customers Surprise Their Favorite Employee

Here's a late-breaking Christmas miracle from Raleigh, North Carolina.

Shirley Ratcliff, 47, has worked at Bruegger's Bagels since 2006. She takes three different buses to work, so she'd been saving for a car – until she was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and had to spend the money on treatment instead.

Luckily, her customers are her biggest fans.

One of them, David Burton, organized a group of loyal customers – calling themselves the Shirley Fan Club – and began raising funds to get their favorite employee that car she so desperately wanted.

"When I asked [people] to contribute, they didn't even blink. As a matter of fact, they said, 'How much do you want?' And they said they would give $100, $200," Burton tells WRAL.com. "That just goes to show you that the Christmas spirit is alive and well in Raleigh, North Carolina."

In just two days, Burton collected enough money to buy Ratcliff a used Buick LeSabre, covering taxes and insurance as well. The video above, from Raleigh's News & Observer newspaper, shows Ratcliff receiving her Christmas present.

"It means the world to me. I love these people," Ratcliff tells ABC 11 News. "I just didn't know they would go to this extreme to do something like this."

A Boomerang Blessing
    By Vicki Johnson, Buckeye, Arizona

Making ends meet on a new teacher’s salary isn’t easy–especially not when you’re the single mom of a two-year-old. Looking over my budget at the kitchen table, I could see things were about to get worse as Christmas approached.

Zackary’s day care usually provided his breakfast and lunch, but we’d both be eating at home during winter break. “Looks like we’re going to have to get very creative with our meals,” I told Zackary in his high chair beside me. He popped another Cheerio into his mouth.

I went to the cupboard to take stock before making a smart grocery list. Well, that was quick, I thought. Besides the absolute basics, one lone can of cherry pie filling gathered dust in the corner.

Cherry pie was my favorite, but it wouldn’t get us very far. My son and I needed nutritional foods we could stretch. Dessert just wasn’t in the budget for now. My mouth watered as I took the can down from the shelf. I knew what I’d do with it. “Okay, Zack,” I said. “Let’s make that list.”

I felt good the next day as I placed my can among the piles of donations at the church food drive. It wasn’t much, but it was something. “No matter how tough things seem,” I explained to Zack, “somebody’s always got it worse.”

He didn’t yet understand what I was talking about, but I smiled thinking that another mom out there would soon fill her kitchen with the sweet smell of a fresh-baked cherry pie. Zackary and I went on to do our shopping.

My list got us through several days before I realized that we wouldn’t make it on our own. I stared into the cupboard, almost as empty as when it held that lone can of pie filling. Lord, who am I kidding? I can’t stretch nothing into something.

A knock at the door made me jump up. Zackary clapped playfully. He had no idea what a dire situation we were in. I only hoped I wouldn’t find more bad news at my door.

Instead I opened up to find one of the guys from church. “Hey, Vicki,” he said. He held a big box in his arms. “We decided this year’s food donations would go to our single moms, and this is for you.”

I was speechless. I ushered him inside and he plopped the overstuffed box on my countertop. “Merry Christmas!” He gave my son a high five before heading out the door.

Zackary giggled. I felt like laughing too as I sorted through canned goods, pasta, jars of sauces and condiments. Enough hearty meals to last way past Christmas. Then I got to the bottom of the box.

Tucked into the corner was a can I knew well. My can of cherry pie filling! The Lord had stretched my faith with a sweet reminder of his love. Dessert was definitely in our budget tonight.

Good Samaritans, Airmen Save Family From Burning SUV In NH

SHERBORN (CBS) – David Sullivan, a Sherborn father, humbly thanked the man who saved his family’s life. “It’s only by the grace of God you guys were there it’s totally a miracle. I just want to thank you and whoever else was with you on that afternoon,” Sullivan said speaking with Chris Cronen on the phone. “It was a big teamwork effort,” Chris responds.

Chris says he was on his way home from a ski trip when he came upon a horrifying scene. A car tipped over on a New Hampshire highway. Chris says trapped inside was David Sullivan with his three kids along with three of their friends.

Chris who is a certified tactical medic for the federal government says he immediately jumped out of his car to help. When he looked inside he saw two boys stuck inside. “Crying and screaming it was pretty tough. I immediately yelled for help and here comes three Air Force guys running toward the scene,” Cronen said.

With the help of the Air Force men and two other good Samaritans they were able to get everyone out safely. “It’s just a miracle he came to after he pulled him out of the vehicle,” Cronen said.

David is recovering at home. “I got a concussion and shattered vertebrae, neck brace. Tell you what the kids are fine,” Sullivan said.
    The accident remains under investigation, David says he wants to thank everyone in person who was involved in the rescue. “I am glad I was there able to help and even more glad that the civilians and Air Force guys were there to assist to help get boys out and you out,” Cronen said

http://boston.cbslocal.com/video?aut...clipId=9976284

Starbucks Gives Free Coffee to Every U.S. Service Member in Afghanistan

It looks like our troops got a little pick-me-up during the holidays.

Starbucks gave 32,000 free cups of coffee to service men and women serving in Afghanistan in late 2014, the company said Tuesday. Due to security precautions, the delivery could not be disclosed until now.

“Getting a cup of coffee is something your average American takes for granted. But for our troops a cup of coffee is a special taste of home,” said Alan Reyes, USO Senior Vice President of Operations. “Imagine a soldier coming off an arduous patrol or hostile fire, and then seeing that Starbucks logo — it takes their minds out of the war zone, even for a few minutes.”

The coffee giant donated the three-pack servings of its VIA Ready Brew Coffee to Bagram Airfield, the largest U.S. military base in Afghanistan, to be delivered to overseas service members.

“Donations like this serve as a reminder to our troops that Americans back home are thinking about them and are thankful for their service,” Reyes added.

—Morgan Gibson

Colorado Students Create Website for Pets Lost in Natural Disasters

Students at the University of Colorado Boulder are putting their computer science skills to good use for animals and pet owners, creating a website that will help reunite missing pets, often lost in natural disasters, with their owners.

The site, emergencypetmatcher.com, will launch officially after the next future natural disaster, USA Today reported of the effort, which the creators hope will become a "one-stop" place online to reconnect upset families with their lost furry friends.

The site works by allowing those with missing pets to post photos online. Those who may have found or seen those missing can also post and each side can suggest possible matches, which are also voted "up" or "down" by other website viewers, USA Today said.

Once a photo gets several matches from each side, emails are sent to connect the parties in an effort to create a happy and no-doubt relieved homecoming.

Recent disasters like Superstorm Sandy exposed the need for helping missing pets get home, including one family who found their lost dog after going to a shelter to adopt a new one.

Thousands of animals went missing after 2006's Hurricane Katrina, prompting an massive outreach to save and re-home many of them as well as several lawsuits over new owner adoptions.

To broaden their efforts, the Colorado students are also at work on creating a bridge that will connect shelters and rescues to their pet-finder site, USA Today said.

Last edited by kuhio98; 01-30-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Do something nice for someone today. Even the smallest thing can make a difference.

Wisconsin Park Workers Shovel Snow So Elderly Man Can Reach Wife's Memorial

Rain or shine, snow or sleet, Bud Caldwell always finds a way to talk with his late wife. Sometimes, he just needs a little help.

Every day, Caldwell, 82, drives to Lakeside Park in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, to visit the memorial bench he had installed to honor his wife of nearly 56 years, Betty, reports WDJT.

Caldwell says having a moment to be with his wife, even in spirit, is the best part of his day. After each visit, Caldwell leaves behind a single daisy and penny as a nod to the couple's favorite songs, "Pennies from Heaven" and "Daisy a Day."

This has been Caldwell's routine for the past two years, until weather got in the way. A few weeks ago, heavy snow blocked the man's path to the memorial. After slipping and falling last year while trying to walk through the snow to the bench, Caldwell decided to adjust his normal plan.

Instead of walking out, the devoted husband stayed in his car at Lakeside Park and spoke to Betty from there. Caldwell's change caught the attention of two park employees familiar with the elderly man's routine.

After spotting Caldwell, Jerrod Ebert and Kevin Schultz grabbed shovels and hurried to clear the path up to Betty's bench. The act brought all three of the men to tears.

"We have to make sure he can get to his bench and talk to his wife," Ebert said.

After seeing Caldwell's emotional reaction to their good deed, the pair of park workers have promised to keep the path clear throughout the entire winter.

http://www.cbs58.com/clip/11076278/t...lac-love-story

SIUC students to build dog park for people with disabilities

AVA, IL (KFVS) - Students from Southern Illinois University Carbondale have partnered with an area service dog training center to build a dog park that is disability friendly.

Architecture students with the group “Freedom by Design” will build a 150 by 100 square foot dog park for Ava, Illinois based SIT Service Dogs.

The park will be equipped with handicap accessible ramps and padded walkways.

SIU students have designed the park, have waived labor costs, and plan to build most of the park out of recycled materials.

SIT trains dogs to provide people with disabilities a sense of independence.

SIUC student Nicole Dethrow suffers from muscular dystrophy, a disease the weakens muscles over time.

Dethrow will soon be getting a service dog from SIT.

Dethrow can walk but not for very long distances, she has an extremely limited movement with her arms.

Dethrow said she's excited for the park to be built.

“It's really set up both for the people and for the dogs which I think is really great," Dethrow said.

Program Coordinator and owner of SIT, Lex Dietz, said she's excited about the partnership with SIU.

“Going out to a park with somebody isn't something you can do at a normal dog park,” Dietz said.

SIT dogs provide mobility assistance such as opening and closing doors, turn lights on and off, and can run for help if a person calls for it.

SIT dogs can also be trained for medical alerts such as carrying medical devices, assist people in moving positions, and wake a person during medical emergencies.

Director of Freedom by Design, Katelyn Walker, says she's excited to be working with SIT.

“I liked the service that they provider," Walker said. "They help people fundraiser for their dogs, they help people have a comfortable lifestyle, they give people freedom.”

“There's a lot of pressure on them when they come and visit,” Dietz said. “And we want it to be a comfortable, relaxing, environment.”

Deitz said the park will be great addition to SIT's Ava facility and will provide a rare area for people with disabilities to go to without worry of danger.

“Things that you just don't think about. And a park where you can enjoy yourself outside is not something that you see a lot of,” Deitz said.

Dietz said construction will begin as soon as the cold weather breaks.

Video: http://www.kfvs12.com/clip/11080170/...h-disabilities