Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Dogs saved from Sochi streets arrive in Washington for adoption

Ten loveable mutts rescued from the streets of Sochi, Russia, arrived in the United States for adoption Thursday, the result of an international outcry over the plight of stray dogs in the 2014 Winter Olympics host city, organizers said.

Sochi animal rescue organizations began bringing in dogs from the streets after reports that they were getting rounded up and poisoned circulated around the Games. At the time, American skier Gus Kenworthy, an Olympic silver medalist, made headlines when he pledged to bring four street dogs back to the United States after the Games. Humane Society International worked both on Kenworthy's project and bringing these 10 dogs to the United States.

"These 10 are representative of some of the dogs that have been removed from the streets and are now up for adoption in Sochi," said Kelly O'Meara, director of HSI companion animals and engagement. "They're the sweetest, most interactive, very friendly dogs, very adoptable that just happen to be unfortunate enough to be living on the street."

The group worked with PovoDog Animal Shelter in Sochi and two other organizations to arrange vaccination, documentation and travel for the dogs, who then spent two days in transit.

"These dogs have had a tremendous journey. It's been almost two days of travel for them. They went from Sochi to Moscow, had a long layover in Moscow, and then the flight to Dulles airport today," O'Meara said. "And as you can tell, they have to be pretty chill to handle it like this. And they did. They all did remarkably well."

The dogs will be housed for the time being in the Washington Animal Rescue League facilities in the nation's capital. Bob Ramin, CEO of the animal league, said the next few days are all about comfort for the animals.

"These animals are seeing a lot of new things and experiencing a lot of new things, so they're kind of stressed out," Ramin said. "We want to make sure they know they're in a safe place so we've got our staff working with them one on one."

Each dog will get a medical evaluation. If all goes well, the dogs could be available for adoption within weeks.

"In the next couple of days, we'll start socializing them, taking them out on walks with other dogs, and really just treating them like other dogs so they can have that socialization and feel safe," Ramin said.

Organizers say that they expect a great deal of interest in these dogs because the public outcry before, during and after the Games. More dogs are expected to arrive in the United States for adoption in the coming days.

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Woman with Down Syndrome Fights for Her Freedom – and Wins

Jenny Hatch wasn't trying to be a hero.

She just wanted to live with the family she loved.

But while the 29-year-old woman with Down Syndrome was fighting for the right to make her own decisions about where to live and whom to live with, she also created a path for others with disabilities to follow.

Last August, Hatch won a yearlong court battle in which she challenged her biological parents' right to keep her in a group home, making her a celebrity in the disability world.
    Love and Kindness
    A court awarded temporary guardianship to Hatch's close friends Jim Talbert, 54, and Kelly Morris, 45, who own the thrift shop where she's worked for the past six years.

"I love them very much," says Hatch, of Hampton, Va. "I know that they love me, too. They make my life very happy."

Sara Gelser, board member of the National Council on Disability, says, "Jenny pushed back and won when her basic rights were threatened."

"The ruling should give youth and adults with disabilities the inspiration to know they are the captains of their lives," Gelser says. "They do not have to accept guardianships, and they can choose the future they want for themselves."

Hatch says she was just following her heart, while Talbert and Morris say she captured theirs.

"Jenny has so much love and kindness around her," says Talbert. "Kelly and I both have a love and fondness for her."

It started in March 2012 when Hatch was injured in a bicycle accident and hospitalized for several days. She had been living with a family friend but the friend was losing her apartment so Hatch had nowhere to go.
    Finding a Home
    Her parents wanted to put her into a group home (Hatch has a good relationship with her father but not her mother). Morris and Talbert offered to take her in.

"I was so happy when they said, 'You can come and stay with us,' " she says, crying at the memory. "It made me feel so good inside."

She was also looking forward to spending more time with Morris's 15-year-old daughter, Jordan, who has cerebral palsy.

Each night, Hatch would lay out the teen's pajamas and brush her hair.

"I like to help Jordan," she says. "I love her so much."

But after five months, the court put Hatch in a temporary guardianship with her parents. She bounced between four different group homes over the course of the next year.

"We thought she'd be safe there," says Jenny's father, Richard Hatch, 53, who lives in North Carolina (Jenny's mother declined comment).

Since her win last August, she's been happily ensconced in Morris and Talbert's home when she's not traveling the country speaking at conferences about her experience.

Hatch has also formed The Jenny Hatch Justice Project, which advocates for others with disabilities.

"Every day I thank God I am not in the group home," she says. "I am so happy to be home. I don’t want to live anywhere except with Jim and Kelly."

TEACHING SOCCER, FEEDING FAMILIES

Gabriel Whaley, 21 Midland, N.C.

When Gabriel Whaley was 10, his parents struggled to pay for soccer camp, so he borrowed his dad's socks, found discounted gear-and showed such hustle he won the camp's spirit award. That same drive inspired the University of North Carolina senior to help struggling families on and off the field by offering free soccer instruction to kids ages 5 to 15 in exchange for donations of nonperishable canned goods. Since 2006 his Kicking4Hunger program has scored big time.

GABE'S SCOREBOARD

• 16,825 lbs. donated food

• 1,200 kids coached

• 40 Gabe's weekly camp work hours

• 2 Mohawks given to camp directors (when a camp raises more than 2,000 lbs. of food) kicking4hunger.org

A Pizza Delivery Guy Was Sure These Were The Rudest Customers. Then The Next Day, THIS Arrived.

March 30, 2014 Stories

There are so many occupations and services in this world that people take for granted. Delivery people are just one of them. Remembering to tip the people who deliver your food is important, it directly affects how much they make. So when delivery people get slighted, it’s a big deal.
    The other night, this Reddit user delivered a pizza. The total was $22.67 and the couple receiving it gave him $23.00 and told him to keep the change. Less than a dollar on nearly a $25.00 bill is an abysmal tip. But then something awesome happened.
    They dropped this card off the next day.

Drewbacca

And although there wasn’t a cupcake inside, there was an equally awesome note.

Drewbacca

You know the couple who brought this note in the next day wouldn’t have been able to sleep at night, knowing that they didn’t leave a tip. What a wonderful reminder that there are great people out there in the world.
    Source: Reddit
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Boy Receives New Service Dog Thanks To Community Help

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) Its been 1 year since Shawnee Heights Elementary student, 11-year-old Alex White's service dog, "Hope", was hit by a car and killed.

"I'm still wishing it never happened. I'm still having a few flashbacks sometimes. Its still been hard to not have a dog helping me," says Alex.

"There are times he wanted to be dead just with Hope because he felt so bad about it," said Alex's mother, Mari White.

Alex has hereditary spastic paraplegia, an inherited disease that causes progressive weakness to his lower limbs. Last year, Alex's classmate, Saige Halseth, started a fundraising campaign for Alex to get a new service dog. With the community's help, she raised $33,000.

"We are so thankful to the community," says Mari.

"He's just my friend and I wanted to help him because I know he would need it for the future," said Saige back in March 2013.

After one long year of looking for a dog with a personality that meshes with Alex, the Kansas Specialty Dog Service introduced Alex to his new service dog, Redondo.

"So far, he is really helpful. I have someone who can help me when I need it," says Alex, smiling.

"And they have really hit it off! It is a great personality match," says Mari.

"I was shocked to see how well they match. They just go together so well. We're pretty ecstatic," says Alex's father, Ray White.

From here on out, Alex looks forward to laughs and smiles with his new best friend.

"So we can have happy times now. He is pretty much apart of the family," Alex laughs as he pets Redondo.

Alex will bring Redondo to school Monday for the first time.

The White family has used the money raised towards starting a "Hope Scholarship Fund" to help other children battling hereditary spastic paraplegia with their expenses for specialty dogs.

The Animal Rescue League of Berks County in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania has had dozens of kids in attendance each week to read to adoptable cats. It's a great way for the kids to improve their reading skills while providing comfort to cats awaiting a loving home.

The Reading Buddies Program has been a big success for both the kids and cats. The children find the cats non-threatening and a supportive audience, while the cats enjoy human interaction and the rhythmic, soothing sound of a child's voice.

The program has strengthened the bond the shelter has with the community and introduced new families to the shelter. This has lead to many more adoptions.

Not only do the kids love it, but it gives the cats socialization and play time they love, and increases their chances for adoption.

Well done ARL of Berks County - and all the kids in the Reading Buddies Program!

What a great idea, and what a great program! That's wonderful.

Well done, Animal Rescue League of Berks County!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    What a great idea, and what a great program! That's wonderful.

Well done, Animal Rescue League of Berks County!

I saw an article a few years ago where a grade-school teacher was bringing her dog to class. The kids that were struggling with their reading, would sit in the corner and read to the dog. She noticed that the kids improved rapidly because they didn't feel inhibited because no one else was listening and correcting them. They were nervous reading in front of people but didn't feel judged or "wrong" reading to the dog.

Video: 84-Year-Old Woman Who Waves to Students Every Day Gets Sweet Surprise

Tinney Davidson has a simple morning routine: smile and wave.

For the past seven years, the 84-year-old has sat beside the window of her home in Comox, British Columbia, to enthusiastically greet the Highland Secondary School students who walk by, reports Comox Valley Record. Davidson's pleasant hellos have become a daily highlight for many of these high schoolers, so the students decided it was time to give back.

On Valentine's Day, the school welcomed Davidson to a surprise assembly celebrating her kind spirit. The guest of honor was brought into a gym packed with smiling students, who gave Davidson handmade cards and plenty of hugs as a thank-you for the smiles she has spread over the years.

The students also recognized Davidson's charitable work. After her granddaughter was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, Davidson began knitting hats and selling them to people who passed by her home. All the profits from her handiwork go to St. Joseph's General Hospital, the same hospital that helped Davidson's granddaughter beat her battle with cancer.

Davidson, who sees her waving tradition as a treat in itself, was moved to tears by Highland's act of gratitude, telling the Comox Valley Record: "I’m overwhelmed, happy and grateful. My happiness is having children wave at me."

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    I saw an article a few years ago where a grade-school teacher was bringing her dog to class. The kids that were struggling with their reading, would sit in the corner and read to the dog. She noticed that the kids improved rapidly because they didn't feel inhibited because no one else was listening and correcting them. They were nervous reading in front of people but didn't feel judged or "wrong" reading to the dog.
    Three little dachshunds at my church, one who has her own wheels because of a back injury - are reading assistance dogs at local libraries here. They are all very sweet, and love laps!
    I've Been Frosted

Charitable Waitress Surprised on April Fools' Day with 'Best Shift Ever'

Chelsea Roff raised her little sister on her own, struggled to overcome an eating disorder that led to a stroke and an 18-month hospitalization, but later went on to fund a non-profit yoga program, Eat, Breathe, Thrive, to help others deal with similar afflictions.

And on April Fools' Day, Roff, a Venice, Calif., waitress, received the ultimate feel-good prank to honor her good work and positive spirit, described by one admirer as "rising from a pit to the top," ABC News reports.

With hidden video recording an unusual day on the job slinging ribs at Los Angeles's Spring Street Smokehouse, an incredulous Roff, 23, had the "best shift ever." She received a $1,000 tip, a Hawaiian vacation, a new car and a dream job teaching therapeutic yoga at a treatment center.

The gifts were all handed out one by one from customers as Roff listened in amazement.

She was nominated for the "prank it forward" day by her boss, restaurant owner Chris Patterson, through the viral feel-good campaign from the website break.com. He noticed Roth's work ethic and dedication to get ahead and help others.

"Believe me, Chelsea deserves a vacation," Patterson said on the video, where he and others at the restaurant along with Roff's friends are all in on the special day. They noted that she had earned it.

"The work she is doing now is actually impacting and saving lives. How would I not want to be a part of that?" said longtime friend Diana Roehl, who had helped Roff through her eating disorder and who emerged from the new Nissan car as Roth screamed and cried.

"No one has ever just given me things that I don't have to work for," Roff said. "I was just so shocked. In life, you work for things, that's how you get things."

Roff says she wants to continue her charitable work to help people recovering from eating disorders. "I love working at the restaurant and waitressing and being around people, but I want to teach yoga full-time through my foundation," Roff told Good Morning America. "That's my goal."

Dillie the Deer: Love on Tiny Hooves

Gardeners to the Rescue
    Out of gas in a remote setting, she wondered who she could turn to for help.

By Mary Gojkovich, Westport, Connecticut

Time was always tight in the morning when I got my fourth grader, Katie, ready for school. Today she had to be there early, so our schedule was even tighter. We had to leave at 6:00 a.m. if we wanted to get from New Canaan, Connecticut, to Katie’s school in Greenwich on time.

“I just hope we don’t hit traffic,” I told Katie as we left the house.

I looked at my watch as we approached the highway. We were cutting it close. “Better take the back roads,” I said, driving past the entrance. I glanced at the gas gauge: It was low, but I was certain I had enough to get us to school and I certainly didn’t have time to stop at a gas station.

I’d been driving for about 25 minutes when the car slowed down–and then stopped. “What’s happening?” asked Katie.

“We ran out of gas. Wait here.” I opened my door and got out. There wasn’t a car in sight. So much for being early, I thought. And then a truck came along.

“Hop in and I’ll take you to a gas station,” the driver offered. He seemed nice enough, but I couldn’t get in a car with a stranger. Especially not with Katie. Ten more minutes passed. Lord, I’m in a real jam!

Another truck came along, full of landscaping equipment. This one had two men in it. “How can we help?” the driver asked. I explained our situation. “We’ll get gas for you at the station up the road and come right back,” he said. When they returned they filled my tank.

“What do I owe you?” I asked.

“Nothing,” said the driver. “It’s our pleasure.” It was then that I noticed the company logo on his shirt: Gardening Angels. Katie got to school early–thanks to some gardeners who arrived right on time.

More than 100 Eighth-Graders Join Forces to Build Their California School a Library

This article was originally published by NationSwell, a website dedicated to sharing the stories of innovative Americans who are working to effect social change and move the country forward.

Don’t tell the eighth-graders at Realm Charter School in Berkeley, Calif., that they can’t do something. They’ll end up proving you wrong.

As part of an in-school design and building class called Studio H, this gang of 108 13-year-olds is creating a library for their three-year-old school. X-Space, as the students are calling it, is a project that grew from a question their teacher Ms. Nini (Hallie Chen) posed to them: What do you want from your school?

"One of the students said they want to find their inner self. One said they want to understand how microphones work," Chen said in the project’s Kickstarter video. "Overwhelmingly, they all wanted a place to read, relax, focus, learn and explore." And where's a better place to do that than in a library?

The class got together to conceptualize and design every part of the X-Space – from bookmarks to book bags to stamps and, of course, bookshelves. That's where their concept took on a life of its own. The students, inspired by the algebraic concept of solving for X as an unknown, designed what they call STAX, a shelving system made from stacked, wooden X's.

The students' plan is not just to build an extensive shelving system out of these X's – which are crafted from 13-ply finished plywood using CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) technology, which was borrowed from Carl Bass, CEO of Autodesk, whose factory is nearby – but to use these same materials for tables, benches and stools, as well. The students estimate that they'll need about 250 to 275 STAX for their design, and are raising money to help fund the project. They're even offering STAX as rewards.

For these students, X can be anything. "We designed this thing that not only solves something for us, but can be good for other people, too," Valeria, a Studio H student, said.

Studio H was first launched in rural Bertie County, N.C. In this class, students apply what they've learned in their core subjects to design and build "socially transformative" projects. Previously, Studio H students have built a farmers market pavilion, a pop-up park, laser-etched skateboards and more. In the program, the students learn how to shape their environment. They see their ideas come to fruition. And most important, they can design and build something special for other kids to enjoy.

The first semester was just skill building," Emily Pilloton, who founded Studio H, told Fast Co.Exist about Realm Charter School’s project. "Then we asked them, OK, now let's look around us at our school community and let's ask what do we need, but also what do we want? What are the things that we feel passionate about and we can physically build?"

They wanted a place to explore. "I thought that was really a poignant way to put it," Pilloton said. "A library is not just a room filled with books."

Winners Of $4 Million Lotto Prize To Make Donations Benefiting Pets

(CBS) – A pair of pals say their pets are going to be the first winners as they cash in a $4 million willing instant lottery ticket.

WBBM’s John Cody reports Marta Paciorek and her friend Anna Hassan have been buying over a hundred dollars’ worth of tickets a week for months now and now they’ve scratched off a winner which they’re taking in a lump sum up front.

“It is a 2.4 [million dollars] cash option and then if you split it into two then it is 1.2 [million dollars] and then after that it is a couple hundred thousand, so it really didn’t make any sense for us to take it over 20 years,” said Paciorek.

Paciorek, originally from Poland, says she plans to share the funds with her family and American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

“Animals are lovable creatures that deserve to be treated as members of the family, just like Tabby, my 10-year old Labrador Retriever,” she said in the statement. “I’m happy this lottery win will allow me to donate to an animal rights charity.”

The store will receive a $40,000 bonus, 1 percent of the prize amount, for selling the winning ticket.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678