Page 39 of 62 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Vt. Community Breaks National Blood Drive Record

A Vermont community has broken the national record for the most amount of blood collected on a single day.

Organizers of Rutland’s annual Gift-of-Life Marathon say they collected 2,337 pints of blood on Tuesday, beating the old national record of 1,968 set by Manchester, New Hampshire.

Rutland now holds three of the top four spots on the list of the 10 biggest blood drives in U.S. history.

"This is such a statement by the greater Rutland community," said co-organizer Steve Costello from Green Mountain Power. "To outdo every single city and town in America is really mind-boggling."

More than 2,000 people had signed up for the event. They had numerous blood collection sites setup across the community.

Last edited by kuhio98; 12-30-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Ski Crash Survivor Credits Dog With Saving His Life

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Leonard Somers knows exactly why dogs are considered man’s best friend. The Grand County resident credits his dog Juneau with saving his life after a ski accident.

Somers, of Tabernash, was backcountry skiing near Berthoud Pass at the beginning of November with his 5-year-old Siberian husky keeping him company.

“That area where I skied, I had probably skied 50 times,” Somers said Monday.

But that day was different. On his way down the mountain, he hit a rock and crashed into a ravine.
    His neck hit a tree trunk, causing a severe spinal injury. Somers was buried in the snow.

“I went to get up and realized I couldn’t move,” he said.

For 20 or 30 minutes, Juneau lay on top of him to keep him but when the pair heard voices in the distance, her behavior changed.

“She actually ran off and they had a dog with them,” Somers said. “She somehow or another brought the dog back to me.”

That dog’s family followed as well and found Somers and got help to get him off the mountain.
    Somers said Juneau not only saved his life that day but also in the ones that followed.

“When I first woke up, I wasn’t sure if I was happy to be alive or not,” he said.
    But with Juneau at his side, he has persevered through physical therapy at Craig Hospital.
    “It helps me remain hopeful that I’ll walk out of here or someday I will walk again.”

Juneau had no special training at the time of the accident. Now she’s a certified service dog, even joining Somers for his rehabilitation treatments at Craig.

Florida Orphan Who Begged for Love Is Spending Holidays with Adoptive Family

It's shaping up to be a very merry Christmas for Davion Only, the 15-year-old orphan who stepped before a Florida church congregation in October with a heartfelt plea: to find a family to adopt him.

Only's appearance, which captivated a far-reaching audience, sparked more than 10,000 responses from around the world.

Now comes word of his personal progress. Only has moved from his group foster home to spend Christmas with a prospective adoptive family, reports the U.K.'s Daily Mail.

This marks a likely happy ending for Only, who has spent his entire life moving from foster home to foster home after his mother, who spent time in prison, was forced to give him up. She has since died.

In frustration, the teen asked his case worker if he could speak to the 300-member St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church in St. Petersburg, Fla., where his emotional plea shined a light on the plight of children like himself, desperate for love and seeking adoptive families.

"I'll take anyone. Old or young, dad or mom, black, white, purple. I don't care," he told the church. "I know God hasn't given up on me. So I'm not giving up, either."

Thousands who later read his story reached out to his adoption agency to inquire about him. Only also has done his best to help other children like him, traveling to Tallahassee to speak to Florida governor Rick Snyder and members of his cabinet about adoption, reported the Tampa Bay Times, which first wrote about Davion's story.

"Even though I am going through an adoption process right now," Only told a packed meeting of lawmakers, "I still hope that other kids in foster care get the benefit that I am going to have to be adopted and to have somewhere to call home and to have a bed to call theirs."

His biological aunt said she and other relatives who are unable to adopt him are supportive of his new life, with Doris Barnes telling the Daily Mail, "I just want him to be happy and loved and to be with someone who is going to do the best for his future."

Some Meals-on-Wheels Programs Feed Pets, Too
    (source: AARP via Good News Network)

By Sue Manning, The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — If Meals on Wheels didn’t deliver donated dog food, Sherry Scott of San Diego says her golden retriever Tootie would be eating the pasta, riblets and veggie wraps meant for her. But thanks to partnerships between the program for low-income seniors and pet groups across the country, fewer people and pets are going hungry.

After Meals on Wheels volunteers noticed a growing number of clients giving their food away to their furry friends, they started working with shelters and other pet groups to add free pet food to their meal deliveries. Those programs, relying on donations and volunteers, have continued to grow in popularity as seniors began eating better, staying healthier and worrying less about feeding their pets, one group said.

Meals on Wheels is just one organization serving people who are poor, disabled or elderly, but it has a vast reach. It has teamed up with independently run pet partners in several states, but how many isn’t known, said Jenny Bertolette, spokeswoman for Meals on Wheels Association of America in Alexandria, Va.

Partner pet groups will solicit, pick up, pack and get the animal chow to Meals on Wheels or another agency that donates food, volunteers said. Agencies also take pet food to nursing homes, senior centers or community centers.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Star of Wonder, Star of Light
    The large star of Christmas lights that he almost didn't mount in his yard proved to be a beacon of hope.
    By Dale Briggs, North Bloomfield, Ohio

"Maybe we should skip putting up the lights this year,” I told my kids over breakfast.

“No way!” Janna said.

“You have to put up the lights!” said Alysha.

Easy for them to say. They weren’t the ones stringing 8,000 lights around our yard, and along the border of our seven-foot-tall Christmas star. We had a nice-sized property next to a state-owned game reserve.

The lights did look stunning amid the backdrop of all that nature. That star could almost light the way to Bethlehem it was so big. But putting the lights up was exhausting and the electricity bill in January was out of sight.

My wife, Becky, smiled over at me from the stove. I couldn’t let the kids down. So out I went, braving the cold.

I was dragging at work the next day, and the guys at the firehouse where I volunteered knew what I’d been up to. “Now all you have to do is take them down!” they joked.

The lights were a comforting sight when I drove up to the house that evening. In the dark woods, the temperature had plummeted to five degrees, and we were in for a subzero night. As I got out of the car I saw Becky talking to two hunters on the front porch.

“You fellas lose your way?” I asked. They looked shaken up.

“We thought we wouldn’t make it out there,” one of the men said. They’d wandered around lost for the better part of the day and knew they wouldn’t survive the night without protection from the elements.

“Then we saw it,” the other man said. “A glow in the east.”

The two of them lifted their eyes to the giant star in my yard. “Your star saved our lives.”

The kids were right about putting up the lights. Especially that Christmas star, a guide we can all follow.

Sending a shout out to the city of San Francisco -
    The Make A Wish Foundation contacted a 5 year old boy with leukemia asking about his big wish, he said he wanted to be a super hero. He spent a day as "Bat Kid" with Batman. He was dressed for the part and went around with Batman in the Batmobile. The film clip showed people lining the street many holding signs supporting Bat Kid. Along the way, he rescued a woman tied to the railroad tracks. The city's police commissioner went on tv saying there were problems in the city and asked Batman to help - and bring Bat Kid. While there, Bat Kid foiled a bank robbery and arrested the Riddler. The police commissioner also said the mascot for the San Francisco Giants had been kidnapped, Bat Kid found the mascot and the Penguin was arrested for the abduction. Dressed as Bat Kid, this little boy was cheered by the crowd everywhere he went and was given the key to the city. Then at the end of the day an anonymous donor paid for a billboard by the bridge that said "Bat Kid, thank you for saving our city".

Thank you to all in San Francisco that made this little boy's dream come true. You've proven that there are angels among us!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Agoura Hills Girl, 11, Donates $500 Worth Of Toys For Hospitalized Children

AGOURA HILLS (CBSLA.com) — A $1,000 windfall is not much to some adults, but to an 11-year-old girl, that kind of money could mean a new gadget, new clothes or a whole lot of makeup. But for Melissa Souza of Agoura Hills, that money was a chance to help others less fortunate.

“Some kids need things more than I do,” Melissa said as she dropped off $500 worth of toys at the CHiPs for KIDS kickoff event at the Studio City Broadcast Center Thursday. Melissa says she would like the toys to be donated to hospitalized children.

Over the summer, Melissa won a Radio Disney contest, receiving a trip for four to Charlotte, N.C., a chance to meet Ryan Seacrest, a $15,000 donation to his foundation and a $1,000 gift card to use at Walgreens.

“Well, I didn’t know what I was going to do with $1,000,” Melissa said. “But then, I just decided to give it to charity.”

Besides donating to the CHiPs for KIDS toy drive, Melissa also bought $500 worth of school supplies that she donated to needy children.
    Melissa’s selflessness is not lost on the California Highway Patrol officers collecting toys for less fortunate children.

“I think it’s fantastic,” CHP Officer Leland Tang said. “Anyone at that age who thinks of others rather than themselves is also fantastic.”
    Melissa’s parents, Caroline and Brad, say they are proud that Melissa is absorbing some of the lessons they are trying to impart.

“It is kind of something we discussed as a family,” Caroline Souza said. “To think beyond yourself is kind of our goal, to hopefully teach them to think beyond themselves.”
    “We are very fortunate with everything that we have and so to be able to give back and to have her learn that lesson as well was really important,” Brad Souza said.

Woman rescues infant on JetBlue flight

WESTWOOD, Mass. (WHDH) -- When a baby stopped breathing mid flight a local woman jumped in to help save the baby’s life.

“The baby had been unconscious so many times I was literally flipping the baby back and forth freeing as much as I could,” Jeanne Gallahue

Gallahue, a CPR trainer and first responder, is used to heading into emergency situations.

But the 63-year-old was on her way to Puerto Rico with her family and wasn't expecting to be performing CPR on a 6-month-old in the middle of her flight.

“All of a sudden I heard screaming that they needed medical help,” she said.

The family was on board Jetblue flight 1347 and a baby girl in the back of the plane was unresponsive.

For two hours Jeanne and another nurse on the flight worked to save this infants life.

“She would come to and then all of a sudden she would become rigid and unresponsive, no heart beat, no breathing and I would resume CPR,” she said.

The pilot made an emergency landing in North Carolina where Jeanne handed the baby off to a medical crew.

She says she's been told the baby survived and she knows it's because of the team that came together onboard that flight.

“Together everybody achieved a miracle that day. There is no question in my mind; there were so many people that were involved in that. It was truly a miracle,” Gallahue said.

A flight attendant took detailed notes of everything Jeanne was doing so they could pass that information along to the medical team in North Carolina.

OC Girl Undergoing Chemotherapy For Brain Tumor Reunited With Missing Family Dog

ORANGE (CBSLA.com) — An Orange County family reunited with their dog last month after he went missing in Arizona more than a year ago say his return offers new hope to their family.
    Meko, the O’Brien Family’s 4-year-old Brussels Griffon, vanished during a family vacation in Parker, Arizona.

“I woke up and I wondered where Meko was,” said 7-year-old Mady O’Brien. Her family looked for him everywhere, putting up signs and praying for his safe return.
    “He was just gone,” said Mady’s mother, Dana.

Mady was devastated never forgot her best friend. But everything changed in May, when she was diagnosed with a brain tumor.
    “It’s been a rough six months,” Dana O’Brien said.

After an intense surgery, almost 30 chemotherapy and radiation treatments and countless hospital visits, Mady struggled to walk again.

Last month, Dana O’Brien got a phone call as she and Mady were on their way to another round of chemotherapy. The Yavapai Humane Society was calling to say Meko had turned up on the streets of Prescott, Arizona.

A microchip led volunteers to the O’Brien’s phone number, and James O’Brien made the 400-mile trek to pick him up.
    “Meko’s back,” Mady said, smiling.

For Mady’s parents, Meko’s return was more than just a story of a girl and her dog. They believe his return was one almost impossible prayer answered, and now they have one more to go. Mady O’Brien has three more rounds of chemotherapy at Children’s Hospital of Orange County.

“We can just move forward, it’s the start of things going right,” James said.
    “This was, you know, kind of the answer that things are going to be okay,” Dana said. “This was good news that our family had gotten and that it would be the start of more.”

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video...clipId=9621424

Dog credited with saving residents from burning Aliquippa apartment building

ALIQUIPPA, Pa. —
    A fire at an Aliquippa apartment building forced evacuations and caused damage Thursday night.

The fire happened on Franklin Avenue at an old photography studio that was turned into an apartment building.

Six people lived inside the building.

One of the residents told Channel 11 that his dog, Peanut, started barking, and that’s how he knew to get out.

"She woke me up. I opened my eyes. The whole room was filled with smoke. She got everybody up. She saved the day," said John Drouin.

Peanut is a veteran service dog. She usually alerts Drouin to seizures.

Ten fire departments battled the blaze.

Buildings on both sides of the apartment building suffered water damage.

The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
    http://www.wpxi.com/videos/news/dog-...urning/vCF8gz/

Girl collects hundreds of shoes for other children

Rachel surpassed her goal of collecting 900 pairs of shoes.
    ATHENS, TX (KLTV) - A 7-year-old girl has surpassed a goal that could give lots of East Texans happy feet.

A few months ago, Rachel Beets told her mother that she wanted to collect 900 pairs of shoes for her birthday, but not for herself.

Rachel wants to donate the shoes to the Henderson County Rainbow Room, a non-profit organization that helps clothe children in Child Protective Services' custody.

People across the country pitched in and donated 946 pairs of shoes. Rachel's birthday is January 31, so she will continue to collect shoes until that deadline.

Be careful out there. Please watch out for others.

Newspaper carrier saves life of elderly woman found laying in snow

KENOSHA (WITI) — The brutal wind and cold in the early morning hours of New Year’s Day brought first responders to 61st St. and 43rd Ave. in Kenosha. While delivering the Kenosha News around 4:30 a.m. on New Year’s Day — January 1st, Ralph Sustaita discovered an elderly woman lying in the snow — and that’s when Sustaita jumped into action.

Sustaita says he was alerted to the woman when he heard her voice.

“Just to hear the sound of the voice — it was just unreal. It was very cold, very windy. Her hands were real red. Her gloves were laying far from her,” Sustaita said.

Police believe the woman, who is in her 80s, lived nearby and went out for a walk. Authorities say she may have been there for up to two hours.

“She was lost. She was really confused,” Sustaita said.

Had Sustaita not made the discovery he did — the woman could have easily died.

“I just like, jumped into action, you know — like it was my own grandmother laying there,” Sustaita said.

Sustaita wrapped a jacket around the freezing woman, and called 911. The woman was taken to the hospital for treatment.

“I think it was from the grace of the Lord that I was in the right place at the right time,” Sustaita said.

The Kenosha News is reporting the woman was treated for hypothermia and frostbite and appears to be recovering.

Payless ShoeSource gives 200 kids new shoes

SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - When these Boys and Girls Club members walk back into school after Christmas break, they will do so with a new pair of shoes courtesy of Payless ShoeSource. Members from Boys and Girls Clubs in Bay St. Louis and Pass Christian each received $20 worth of new shoes and accessories.

"We were chosen last year and this year as well. Last year we were able to help around 100 of your youth and this year they increased the amount so we were able to help around 200 kids," said Tangie Carrillo.

Boys and Girls Club's directors say this program provides the necessities to their young members who otherwise may not get a new pair of shoes because of financial issues.

"Shoes are important just because they are a need. They're not just a pleasure. It's a necessity for children to have shoes and especially have cute shoes and good shoes to go back to school in is important," said Mindy Pizzetta, Director at Boys and Girls Club Qatar Center.

Tennis shoes and moccasins were some of the more popular choices. Still some children decided to opt for a more stylish pair of shoes.

"I like these boots because they are fuzzy and comfortable and I just love boots," said one of the lucky children.

Of the many programs the Boys and Girls Clubs offers to children, directors say this shoe giveaway brings excitement to a whole new level for members.

"Oh my gosh they were so thrilled. They couldn't wait," said Shannel Smith, Unit Director at the Boys and Girls Club of the Coast in Hancock County.

"They made sure that their permission forms were signed this morning. They made sure that their parents signed everything you know because they couldn't wait to come and see what type of shoes they could choose and try on."

"This is very awesome because this is a special opportunity that we got for our boys and girls club," said Catera Gibbs.

Over 200 members from all five of the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Mississippi Gulf Coast took part in the two day shoe giveaway.

Starbucks Customers Break 1,000 in Pay-It-Forward Record

The customers at a Connecticut Starbucks are on their third day of a record-breaking pay-it-forward spree as more than 1,000 customers have cheerfully agreed to pay for the customers behind them.

Today's run smashed the record the store set Thursday at closing when a total of 783 people paid it forward.

"Nobody has broken it (the chain) yet," said Joshua, manager of the Starbucks store in Newington, Conn. Joshua said he is not permitted to release his last name according to company policy.

The store opened a gift card for moments when there is no one behind a paying customer. "On Christmas Day, somebody put in $100," Joshua said.

The pay-it-forward chain began about 8 a.m. on Christmas eve. Some customers pull into the drive-through expecting to pay just a couple bucks for their coffee, but may end up paying an upwards of $15 more for the person behind them without any hesitation, Joshua said.

"I think it's awesome,… but most importantly, l hope it influences other people to do random acts of kindness, not just pay it forward at Starbucks, but to keep it going," he said.

When the number reached 30, the Starbucks employees were shocked it was so high. At 40, Josh posted a picture of the tally board on Instagram. Now at 1,000, the possibilities seem endless.

"We hope that it will continue on, even if it doesn't continue on here, we just hope that it will inspire people to do greater things and inspire people to do more for their communities," Joshua said.

Great rescue of a dog lost after a bad car wreck on State road. He was still wearing the red coat he had on in the car.
    So proud of the folks who braved the sub zero temps to search for AJ the Beagle.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/c...-lost-in-wreck
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt