Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    BECAUSE REAL WINDFALLS DO HAPPEN

"I was out running errands," reports Linda Joslin, of Northville, Michigan, "and had placed a large check endorsed to me for cash in my car's visor until I got to the bank. I had the windows down and a gust of wind sent the check sailing right out my car window. It was gone. I was convinced that someone would cash it. Then, two weeks later, the dirty, torn check arrived in the mail with an anonymous note that jut said 'This is too important not to return.' Amazing."
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

BECAUSE DOGS CAN BE HEROES, TOO

When 3-year old Victoria Bensch was rescued after being lost for 15 hours in the mountains near her Arizona home, rescuers also found an unexpected protector: Victoria's dog, Blue. The family's Queensland Heeler probably saved Victoria's life by keeping her warm and alert during the 30 degree F night.

There's been a lot of violence in Chicago this year. Fr. Pfleger from Saint Sabina parish does a lot of work to help improve things. If anybody could work out a one-day truce, it's him. This is from NBC Chicago.

------

Four rival gangs, community and church leaders, and NBA superstars all joined together Saturday afternoon in a gym for a basketball tournament geared towards ending violence in Chicago.

“You walk in that gym and you see the passion, the excitement, you see the smiles on the kids’ faces, you see kids who used to shoot each other playing ball with each other, You see D-Rose and Joakim Noah,” said St. Sabina’s Father Michael Pfleger, who organized the event “Balling for Peace” and asked the NBA stars to get involved. “You tell me anything is wrong with this? I’m in heaven right now.”

Pfleger organized the monumental, one day gang truce in the city, which included 28 kids playing from different gangs in neighborhoods hit hard by violence and crime.

The event gained some NBA star power assists from Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson on the Chicago Bulls along with other Chicago NBA stars Antoine Walker, Quentin Richardson and the legendary Isaiah Thomas. All of the NBA players who showed up on Saturday coached the teams, spoke at the event and encouraged the young people playing in the Peace Basketball Tournament.

“I have been begging athletes to get involved and when they say yes, I’m grateful,” said Pfleger, who lost his adopted son Jarvis Franklin to gang violence in 1998.

No matter who wins the tournament, every player will get a job. St. Sabina has partnered with businesses in the community to make sure that players are rewarded with employment for their peace pledge.

Some community leaders who watched gang members trade their guns for basketballs on Saturday hope it sends a message to other gangs in the city.

“There’s life after basketball, but there is no life after discharging a weapon and taking someone else’s life,” said community activist Andrew Holmes, who was at the tournament to support the players.

Pfleger said he also working with players on the Chicago Bears to get them involved and host more events in the community.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Rose Astorina was 35 years old and had a 2-year old son when she was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, in 2007. She had to undergo 6 rounds of chemotherapy, 18 rounds of radiation and many side effects -- but today she's cancer-free. Astorina is so thankful that she's made finding a cure her personal mission and has raised more than $17,000 for the American Cancer Society. She also joined Imerman Angels, a group of volunteers who provide support to others who are undergoing treatment.

To the world you might just be one person, but to one person, you might just be the world.

Go out and make a difference today. You never know what seemingly small gesture or deed can change a life -- human or animal.

Beverly Evens of Anderson, California, recently won $2 million on a scratch-off lottery ticket. Instead of splurging on herself, she's using a portion of the cash to fund her do-good mission: rescuing goats. Evens nursed her first goat, Bucky, back to health nine years ago and has since saved more than 40 abused or malnourished goats. She plans to build a better home for the animals and expand her rescue work.

A KIND GESTURE CAN MEAN SO MUCH

I fell in love with a beautiful dress when I was out shopping one day. I wanted it badly, but it was much too expensive. The clerk whom I knew from church, suggested I put it on layaway just in case. Then a few weeks later my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer; he died within a few short months. I had obviously forgotten all about the dress during such a devasating time. Out of the blue a few weeks after he passed away, the store clerk stopped by my house with a gift box, inside was the dress, which she had paid for herself. I will always remember her kindness.

Juanita, Oxford, Alabama

And now, a brief chuckle for your day: The Chicago Cubs are on track to lose one hundred games this season for the first time since 1966.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Because Experts Were No Match for a Duck

Doctors told Becci Lomax that her son, Finlay, who has cerebral palsy, would never walk. But then Becci rescued a lame duckling she named Ming-Ming. When a vet showed her exercises to rehabilitate the duck, Finlay started copying. One day Ming-Ming finally took a few steps on his own and so did Finlay. "I walk like the duck, Mommy," he said. His mobility is still improving.

There’s nothing unusual about someone saving a friend by using the Heimlich maneuver. You wrap your arms around a choking victim's waist, grasps one fist with the other hand and presses into the upper abdomen with a quick upward thrust. Most people have no formal training, just a general sense on how it's done. Maybe they picked it up from watching TV like Elspeth "Beanie" Mar did.

Last week her friend, Aniyah Rigmaiden, started choking on a piece of food, Beanie immediately performed the technique and out popped a piece of apple. Then they sat down like it was no big deal and finished eating their lunch.

At the Caroline Wenzel Elementary School in Sacramento, CA.

Beanie is six years old and 38 pounds soaking wet.

Where'd she learn to do that? "From 'A.N.T. Farm,'" she says, on the Disney Channel. It's a show about a musical prodigy.

School principal Judy Montgomery said she was more "blown away at how a first-grader could handle something like that so seamlessly. Usually, I would expect them to yell, 'Hey, help! Someone's choking!'"
    Instead, a third classmate, Anthony Roy Jr., noticed the friend choking and Beanie jumped to the rescue. The school later honored Beanie and Anthony with an impromptu "Heroes of the Day" ceremony.

A proud mother later celebrated with Beanie with ice cream. Lots of ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Because Experts Were No Match for a Duck

Doctors told Becci Lomax that her son, Finlay, who has cerebral palsy, would never walk. But then Becci rescued a lame duckling she named Ming-Ming. When a vet showed her exercises to rehabilitate the duck, Finlay started copying. One day Ming-Ming finally took a few steps on his own and so did Finlay. "I walk like the duck, Mommy," he said. His mobility is still improving.
    I have a friend Larry who is 70-something, and has cerebral palsy. When he was a baby, his parents were told he would never walk, never talk, and would be retarded. His parents refused to follow that advice, and raised him at home. He walks, talks, and does everything the doctors said he would never do. When he grew up, he moved here to the Boston area for better public transportation and handicapped access than was available in rural northern Maine, and lives independently. He can still walk, albeit haltingly, but only started using a walker a few months ago, as arthritis is kicking in a little. He can speak, and while one has to listen carefully to understand him, he is intelligent, well-read, and works as a counselor for United Cerebral Palsy. I have no doubt part of his job is simply being there to prove doctors can be just plain wrong!
    I've Been Frosted

Because Good Samaritans Still Exist

"Last summer I was at the pharmacy when I realized I couldn't pay for both of my prescriptions and had to cancel one. As I was walking out, there was an intercom message asking me to return. At the pharmacy window they told me that my second prescription had been paid for by an anonymous customer. For the next five months there was a gift card in my name waiting for me. I still don't know who it was, but I'll always be thankful!"
    -- Al Robbins, Chandler, Arizona

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill

Lost and Found

Recently I received a call from a Toyota dealer asking if I'd lost my car keys. I didn't think I had, but when I checked my purse, sure enough, they were missing. A deliveryman found them outside my office building, and when he noticed a Toyota rewards card on the key ring, he took them to the nearest dealership. A guy in customer service traced the rewards-card number, called, and offered to bring me the keys in person, which he did. Pretty amazing, don't you think?
    -- Leslie Resnik, Orange, Ohio

Rush-Hour Rescue

I was driving at the height of rush hour on the first really cold day of winter. Some sort of construction bolt was sticking up in the street, and I heard my front tire rupture. I had no idea what to do. At the next stoplight a young man knocked on my window to say that if I pulled over, he would change my flat tire for me. And he did, despite the bitter cold and risk of getting tire grime all over his clothing. We exchanged business cards, and I sent him a Starbucks gift card and a thank-you note. He then e-mailed me to thank me for thanking him!
    -- Laura Kotelman, Chicago, Illinois