Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) - For his 50th birthday, Steve Marshall wanted to do something special, but a cruise in the Caribbean or a vacation in Hawaii wasn't exactly what he had in mind. "When the family started asking, 'What do you want to do for your 50th?' I prayed about it and said I don't have any interest in having a party for myself, but how awesome would it be if I could find a family and spend the day honoring them?"

Instead, Marshall wanted to make a difference for someone in need of a little help and care.

Marshall said his friend, a pastor at a church in north Portland, helped him find Kimberely Dixon.

Dixon lost her husband two years ago and her son died in a gang shooting last month. Her granddaughter passed away from a typically treatable illness a few weeks ago.

Marshall and dozens of family and friends turned out to fix up Dixon's home.

"I've probably got about 75 to 100 people here today and I've had generous donations from businesses all over the place," he said. "It's become a bit of a home remodel, something far beyond what I ever expected."

"He started kind of marking out what he wanted to do. I was like, 'That's what you want to do?'" Dixon said. "And he did a walk through the house and here we are today, celebrating his birthday in this unique and different way."

Dixon, who has four children, said she hopes Marshall's decision will inspire people to make a difference in the lives of others, even if it's as simple as sharing a smile.

"To have somebody spearhead such joy is overwhelmingly amazing. And we as a family and hopefully as a community are so blessed by this effort," she said.

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

ELEPHANT LOSES LEG TO LANDMINE, VETERINARIANS COME TO HER RESCUE

Mosha the elephant lost her front right leg when she stepped on a landmine near the Thai-Myanmar border. Veterinarians were able to create an artificial leg for Mosha, and they have made a new one each time there's a change in her weight.

Little libraries popping up in City yards

It’s a reading program like any other. It has thousands of people across the nation building libraries right in their front yard and it’s picking up steam in the Quad Cities.

At every corner there’s a story ready to be told. At the corner of 8th and Green Park Avenue there are several stories, ready to be read.

Jen Roth has taken her love for reading and implemented a national reading program in Colona, Illinois.
    “I thought it was a great idea, just because I’ve have so many books at home and I know many other people do, nobody likes to throw away a book,” said Roth.

It’s called the Little Free Library. http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/

How it works is simple, all you have to do is grab a book of your choice then leave one for others to enjoy.
    “It makes me feel so good to know that we are doing something for the community that people are wanting to be involved in,” said Roth.

In Rock Island, you can find one outside of Deb Vanspeybroeck’s house.

“I don’t have any deep philosophical thought about it, I just thought I love books, I like being neighborly. It just seemed like a good combination,” said Vanspeybroeck.

She’s sharing her passion with her neighbors, because like life there’s no dead end when it comes to reading.
    “I hope we still have books in our culture for a long long time,” said Vanspeybroeck.

Some Little Free Libraries are even popping up in Iowa, with a few in Eldridge.

Sweet Vanilla Spa Candle

This hand-poured, eco-friendly candle is the perfect gift for a hostess or homebody. The candles are made by women from inner-city Chicago who are a part of Bright Endeavors, a program that offers them the chance to get job training and mentoring.

Buy it now at globalgirlfriend.com, $10

Chicago man returns sensitive employment records

CHICAGO (CBS) – A Chicago man said Sears is lucky he’s honest; otherwise, the retailer could have exposed hundreds of its former employees to identity theft.

WBBM Newsradio’s Regine Schlesinger reports, on Saturday, Hersey Mallory went to a liquidation sale at the Sears store in Chatham — which has since closed — and bought three file cabinets.

As he was loading them, he noticed something different about one of the cabinets.

“I couldn’t imagine why it would be so heavy,” he said.

When he opened the file cabinet, he found sensitive employment records — including bank information — for hundreds of fired and retired Sears employees.

“It shows their birth certificate, it shows their Social Security number, it shows how much they were being paid,” Mallory said. “In this day of identity theft, I’ve got all of these people’s whole Social Security numbers, whole addresses.”

He claimed he got the run-around when he called Sears, so he tried the human resources department.

“That was even worse, because we got some chick on there who started talking to me about ‘Well, I’m going to have to do an investigation,’” Mallory said. “I said ‘What are you talking about, doing an investigation? Come over here and get this stuff.’”

After going to the media, Mallory said Sears promised to pick up the records, and promised him a $100 gift certificate to thank him for his honesty.

Mallory said he didn’t want a reward, he did it because it was the right thing to do.

“It could have been somebody that I cared about, somebody that I knew. It just wouldn’t have been right,” he said.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

FIREFIGHTER TIM DENEEN, 41
    Digging deep for Jessy

Just that morning, last May 13, Tim Deneen's squad in the Wichita (Kans.) Fire Dept. had taken a special class on making rescues in confined spaces. Then at 7 p.m. the call came in: 17-month-old Jessy Kraus had tumbled into a well being dug in the backyard of his family's new home in nearby Mulvane. By the time Deneen and his technical rescue team arrived at 7:30, nearly two dozen rescue workers and neighbors were on the scene, and a local chemical company had set up a video camera to lower into the well—but that was not enough. "I saw that picture of his hand and this little head," Deneen, the father of two young girls and a firefighter since 1991, says of the video image. "I knew we had to get him."

Rescuers used a backhoe to dig a 20-ft.-deep pit next to the nearly 17-ft. well, then dug 7 ft. across to Jessy, who, by then exhausted, had fallen asleep. Deneen wedged himself into the 2-ft.-wide opening and grabbed the boy by the foot. "I asked him if he liked Barney," says Deneen. "And he said, 'No! No!' " Fifteen minutes later—five hours after the ordeal began—Deneen wrested the toddler from the pit, much to the relief of the boy's parents, Jerry Kraus, 30, and Karen, 28, who have another son, Cody, 8. (Karen was in the kitchen making dinner, and Jerry was with Jessy watering trees in the backyard when the toddler, walking toward him, tumbled into the well.) After a night in the hospital for observation, the little boy was released in the morning with just a minor bruise on his forehead and scratches on his elbow. "Thankfully it was one of those nights when everything worked like clockwork," says Deneen. "I could feel God all around."

Kindergartner sells lemonade to raise money to buy friend a diabetes alert dog

LEAVENWORTH, Kan. - A kindergartner spent Friday afternoon selling lemonade to raise money for a friend with diabetes.

Five-year-old Aidan Kendall hopes the proceeds from his lemonade stand will allow his friend, Jayce Berryman, to get a diabetes alert dog.

"I'm selling lemonade and donations for Jayce's dog that barks whenever his blood sugar is high or low," Aidan explained.

His mom, Shannon Kendall, said it was all Aidan's idea.

"At first I thought 'it's too cold, we can't do a lemonade stand right now, it's 30 degrees,' but you don't want to stop your child when they're so anxious to give," she said.

Jayce, who is also 5 years old, has type 1 diabetes. His mother, Lindsey Berryman, said she was touched by Aidan's efforts to raise money so they can get an alert dog.

"It leaves me speechless to know that we have friends that we haven't known that long, and that Jayce's friend at that who's in kindergarten, has a big enough heart to want to do something like this to help somebody else out," Berryman said.

For more information on how you can help, go to jaycesdiabeticalertdog.webs.com

Michele Gannon Pampers Cancer-Stricken Women At Her Ocean Retreat

Michele Gannon knows what it's like to be sick and unable to care for yourself, let alone your children.

In 2009, while recovering from an ongoing, debilitating illness, her doctor put her on bed rest for several weeks.

"My kids would say, 'Are you better now? Now? Now?' " says Gannon, 45, of Interlaken. N.J. "When I did surface, I just saw my whole world, my well-oiled machine, was broken down and that led to depression."

"I said to myself, 'I wonder what a woman does when she has a long-term illness like cancer?' " she says.

She quickly discovered there weren't many places available for women to escape and relax, so later that year she and a friend, Maria McKeon, founded Mary's Place by the Sea, a retreat in Ocean Grove, N.J. where women with cancer can get everything from oncological massages to nutrition counseling during their stay.

"It's life changing," says Gannon, "because you learn in your own way not to get worried about the small things that you used to worry about and just put things into perspective."

Linda Brinkmann, 59, agrees.

"I walked in and I got the greatest sense of comfort and love and compassion that you could ever imagine," says Brinkmann, of Westfield, N.J., who has peritoneal cancer.

"For someone that's dealing with cancer and is scared to death," she says, "and needs someone just to hold them and love them and give them faith and hope, these women are incredible."

Volunteers, many of them cancer survivors themselves, help staff the retreat, which is housed in a three-story, six-bedroom Victorian house that faces a lake and is one block west of the ocean.

Beth Hahn choked up when describing her experiences at the home.

"There is so much love in that place," says Hahn, 40, who was in the midst of chemotherapy for inflammatory breast cancer when she went the first time in May 2012.

"You have to go to truly understand how full of love it is," says Hahn, of Shippensburg, Pa.

But Gannon says she's the lucky one.

"I always say that I get more than I give," she says. "Every woman who comes in has so much courage."

St. Petersburg, Florida - It's a win win situation, enjoy a sweet cupcake and help a local charity. For "Sweet by the Cake Company" owner Daniel Delgado it's something he loves to do.

Every month Daniel picks a local charity and creates a custom cupcake. He then sells their sweet dessert and donates fifty percent of his profits to that charity.

This months charity is the Celma Mastry Ovarian Cancer Foundation, the foundation helps with the financial needs of those battling the disease.

www.sweetstpetersburg.com

Sweet by the Cake Company
    1100 4th Street N, Sweet 101, St. Petersburg

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A pet lover is being hailed as a puppy savior after she helped rescue four small canines from a homeless man who put the dogs in a sealed Tupperware container.

Annie Hart’s friend Samantha Haas called her on July 18th to tell her she encountered a homeless man in West Hollywood who put the dogs in the container. Hart, in turn, convinced the friend to block a bus with the homeless man on it until she could get there.

“I knew these puppies were in grave danger,” said Haas. “They were tiny, they didn’t have their mother, they were in an unventilated plastic bin … so I knew their breathing was definitely compromised.”

After two attempts to get on the bus, Hart convinced the driver to let her on the bus to rescue the pups.

“I was most concerned that they had enough air,” Hart says.

In her car, she and her husband literally chased the bus down Santa Monica Boulevard.

The four puppies are due to be adopted in the coming weeks.

The dogs are named after the X-Men Raven, Elliott, Logan and Luke, the runt.

“They’re little super heroes,” Hart says, “These little pups, they survived this grand adventure.”

Hart is executive director of an animal charity called the Bill Foundation. The group started in May 2000 and have rescued and placed over 2200 dogs since. They also have a live cam on the puppies.

She told KCAL9′s Suraya Fadel the bus driver didn’t know what to make of her at first.

Then she had to convince the homeless guy to give up the puppies.

“I convinced him to get off the bus with me,” says Hart.

He wanted to keep one but ultimately she convinced him that Luke would be better off in a home.

Hart also told Fadel she wanted to give a shout out to WagAware.com.

Part of the money they make from dog tags and other merchandise goes to animal rescues like the Bill Foundation.

“We rescue from our heart,” says Hart.

source: Yahoo Shine
    Having your credit card declined can be awkward and humiliating. But it's an even worse experience if you're at the airport, rushing to make your flight, and when it comes time to dole out the mandatory fee to check a bag, the airline counter employee lets you know that your card won't go through. Confused, you step out of line to check your balance. You just know your card isn't maxed out and should be able to cover the expense.

Redditor brbmycatexploded recently experienced this exact situation at Tampa International Airport.

"Having my card declined was extremely embarrassing, even though I didn't know a single soul in that airport," the Reddit user, who asked to be identified by just his first name, Andy, told Yahoo! Shine.

His story has a happy ending, though. When he returned to the counter, a Good Samaritan had generously paid his baggage fee and left a note:

"Hey, I heard them say your card was declined. I know how it feels. Your bag fee's on me. Just pay it forward the next time you get a chance. Have a safe flight. "

On Wednesday, Andy posted a photo of the note on Reddit and wrote, "If you're reading this, thanks for making my day."

The kind deed didn't just have a financial impact. "Seriously, reading their note gave me goosebumps and gave me faith that there are still good people out there," Andy shared with Shine.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Couple Find Forever Love Thanks to Seeing-Eye Dogs

This ain't no puppy love – though it literally started out as such.

It seems Claire Johnson, 50, and Mark Gaffey, 52, were destined to be together. The two, both visually impaired, were brought together when their seeing-eye dogs, Rodd and Venice, fell in love during a 2012 training course in Shrewsbury, England.

No matter how hard people tried to keep them apart, the pups would manage to "snuggle together under a table and give each other dog kisses," Today.com reports.

Soon, their infectious puppy love spread to their owners, who decided to give romance a shot once training was over. And much to Rodd and Venice's glee, Johnson and Gaffey will be tying the knot next spring.

"It's going to be as much [the dogs'] day as it is ours," Gaffey tells Today.com. "They're central to the whole thing because, at the end of the day, they brought us together."

She's serious: Rodd and Venice will walk down the aisle wearing harnesses covered in flowers, and Johnson and Gaffey's wedding cake will be decked out with bones and paw prints.

Here's wishing all four of them a happy life that's never too ruff!

Something a little different ~ a sweet story in MP3 format. Please let me know if you can't access it and I'll see if I can find a different way to link it.

http://www.airsla.org/broadcasts/Goo...ping110915.mp3

COLLEGE STUDENT BARRETT BABER, 19
    At a crash site inferno, his cool action saves lives

On the night of June 1, Barrett Baber, a sophomore at Ouachita Baptist University in Arkansas, had settled back in his seat on American Airlines Flight 1420, eagerly awaiting his arrival home in Little Rock after a two-week tour of Germany performing with 24 other members of his college choir. But as the plane approached the runway, it was jolted by winds from a violent thunderstorm. "I was sitting there, buckled up, and we were shaking," says Baber. "I thought, 'Here we go. We're coming down.' "

The plane, carrying 139 passengers and six crew members, touched down hard, then went into a gut-wrenching skid. "They turned those back-thrusters on full blast, but we kept going forward," he says. "Then the lights flashed off and on, and the stewardess screamed, 'Brace yourself!' " The plane careered toward the end of the runway and, just short of the Arkansas River, crashed into a metal support for approach beacons and split apart. "I looked out, and I could see flames outside the airplane," says Baber.

Escape wouldn't be easy. As fire began engulfing the plane, panicked passengers tugged at a jammed exit door. "I grabbed the door and pulled on it as hard as I could," says Baber. "It wasn't budging." But through the thickening smoke, he spied an 18-inch break in the fuselage. "I picked a stewardess up and pushed her through the hole," says Baber, who quickly did the same for three others. "Then it got really smoky," he says. "I couldn't breathe or see, and I got really scared." In spite of that and despite cuts on his legs and torso, Barrett squeezed his 6'4", 225-lb. frame headfirst through the crack and found himself outside the plane knee-deep in water near the river's edge. "I thought for a while I was the only survivor because I couldn't see anybody. All I could see, taste or breathe was black smoke," he says. "It was freezing cold and hailing something terrible."

After helping two more survivors out of the same hole in the fuselage, Baber joined three fellow passengers, including the flight attendant, in the cold water. "I got to the stewardess and started sobbing, just crying uncontrollably," he says. "She said, 'Come on, Barrett. Stay with me.' " He shook off his terror and helped guide others away from the fiery wreck.

In the end the crash of American Airlines Flight 1420 killed 11, injured 80 and changed Barrett Baber's life forever. "You hear it all the time, people saying that every day is a gift. But it really is, you know," he says. "I drive the speed limit. I spend more time with people. And relationships mean a lot more to me now." As they no doubt do to those whose lives he helped save. Says Luke Hollingsworth, Baber's friend and fellow passenger: "The Bible says to sacrifice your life for a friend is the greatest gift. But to do it for a stranger takes it a step farther. And that's what Barrett did."

Seeing humans rescuing animals (all kinds) in distress makes me think better of the human race.
    p.s. Love seeing the baby elephant.

http://now.msn.com/animal-rescue-com...deo-goes-viral
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt