Page 22 of 62 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    I wanted to see the swans & found local news video coverage of them together.

http://www.mysuncoast.com/videos/7_s...b0b0dafe4.html

Awwwwww
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Back in the Saddle

Riding horses has always been a big part of my life. Ironically, the man I married was allergic to them. After riding I'd have to take off my clothes in the basement, then dash upstairs to shower.

My daughter, Kaylin, was also allergic to horses as a small child but, like me, she loved them. Luckily her allergies cleared up enough that she could ride comfortably. It was something we really enjoyed together.

In 2005, after 17 years of marriage, my husband and I decided to get a divorce. Shortly before our final court date I learned I had stage III breast cancer. I was 38 years old, divorced, and fighting for my life.

Over the next two years I had a double mastectomy, 11 other surgeries for infections, 16 rounds of chemotherapy, and six weeks of daily radiation. When you're getting chemo your white blood cell count is low and you don't heal normally. But I insisted on riding with my daughter. On one of our rides I got thrown from my horse, and I hung on so hard I ripped all the skin off my hands. In agony I looked at Kaylin and said, "I can't do this," and I wasn't just talking about riding.

Then for Christmas 2006, Kaylin -- who was 12 -- did something that said "You are going to do this, Mom." She called my parents and siblings to ask them to chip in for a special gift. When I came downstairs Christmas morning, there was a beautiful Western saddle sitting under the tree. I was blown away.

Now that I'm in complete remission, my life and passions have been restored in many ways. And about a year ago I was finally able to take that beautiful saddle, put it on our family horse, and ride again.

-- Lauren, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

A nice story that gini wanted me to share. There are really many more nice, thoughtful, helpful people in the world than bad. So, let's start giving them more press time!

FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Robyn Giranda's treasured diamond bracelet is back where it belongs thanks to a good Samaritan with a big heart.
    Nine months ago, Giranda, her son and his friends had gone off-roading at the sand dunes near Pismo Beach when her $20,000 bracelet disappeared. Devastated, she filed a report with a park ranger, but assumed it was gone for good.
    "Nobody was ever going to be able to find it, and if they did, they weren't going to turn it in," Giranda said she thought at the time.
    Months later on a holiday weekend, retired firefighter Joe Mingham spotted something in the sand. When he realized it was a bracelet, he took it to a jeweler to have it checked out.
    "They said, 'Joe, there's somebody out there is crying and missing their bracelet.'" Giranda said.
    Mingham set out to find the owner, going from police to the state parks department and finally the park ranger who remembered the tearful woman who reported losing her bracelet.
    The two met up two weeks ago in Modesto so Mingham could turn it over.
    "Every time I talk to him, I just tell him how wonderful he is and truly awesome and awe-inspiring. I don't know what I did to deserve to be so lucky," Giranda said.
    Giranda calls Mingham her angel and said it's in his blood to be hero.
    (Copyright ©2013 KABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Student, four-legged best friend to graduate college

UNIVERSITY CENTER, MI (WNEM) - Delta College is holding its annual commencement ceremony on Friday, and two unique individuals will cross the stage and get a special recognition of their accomplishments.

A highlight of the ceremony will be the acknowledgment of Alan M. Reno and his service dog, Roxie.

Reno, who has cerebral palsy, was paired with Roxie in 2011. Reno earned an Associate of Arts and is graduating as a member of Phi Theta Kappa with high honors.

Roxie has accompanied Reno through 62 credit hours of instruction at Delta and will travel across the stage with Reno on Friday evening to receive recognition for her supporting role in his achievement.

Roxie is a 3-year-old black lab-golden retriever mix. She can open doors with a pull rope or by pressing a door switch. She will retrieve anything that is dropped, can turn lights on and off, retrieve a beverage from the refrigerator and assist with removing clothes.

Roxie was born into a litter of eight pups. Five of those canines went on to become working dogs, including one that works at Comerica Park and another that is a seeing-eye dog in Chile. Roxie was professionally trained at PAWS® with a Cause, located near Grand Rapids.

Reno and Roxie currently live in Midland. Reno plans to transfer to a four-year school, possibly Saginaw Valley State University, to earn a degree in business. From there he plans to attend law school to become a disability rights attorney. According to Reno's family, Roxie has been and will continue to be at his side, everywhere he goes.
    WNEM.COM

Man gives 100 free meals to strangers

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) - It's National Pay It Forward Day, a movement in which everyone is encouraged to perform a random act of kindness for a stranger. The hope is they'll pass that kindness along to someone else. Las Vegas resident Marcus Mitchell dedicated his life to paying it forward and gave 100 free meals to strangers Thursday.

"You do something kind for a stranger without expecting anything in return, with the understanding that one day you'll go off, pay it forward to someone else, you'll remember this kind act," Mitchell said as he handed out free meal coupons to people in front of the Miracle Mile Shops. He used his own money to buy 100 meals at Fresh Grill and Bar and gave all of them away to total strangers.

"I'm just trying to spread some kindness," said Mitchell, who has dedicated his life to performing random acts of kindness around Las Vegas. It's part of a promise he made to his wife before she died from stomach cancer four years ago. Since then, he's spent half of every dollar he makes on making others smile. That's about $40,000 total in gift cards, hotel rooms, food, concert tickets and more items all given away to people Mitchell doesn't know.

It's not always easy convincing folks on the strip that there is such a thing as a free lunch. Several people ignored Mitchell when he asked if they wanted a free meal. Others simply declined his offer. Rejection doesn't discourage Mitchell, who says if just one person passes the kindness along, it's worth the effort.

"It's pretty rare in this county, good to see someone out here doing something for someone else rather than doing it for themselves," said free meal recipient Sean Dobbs.

"I'm going to give this to somebody that I see that would need a meal," said another recipient, Theresa Talbot.

Mitchell handed out more than 100 coupons for free meals, but fewer than half of the recipients redeemed them.

(KVVU Broadcasting Corporation)

Wheelchair Swing Allows Siblings To Enjoy Outdoors

FORT COLLINS, Colo. (CBS4)- A brother and sister living with cerebral palsy will soon be able to enjoy the warm spring weather.

Wheelchairs prevent 11-year-old twins Libby and James from using ordinary swings found at parks and on playground equipment.

Students in the Construction Management Program at Colorado State University set out to change that. They designed, built and installed a customized playground for them in their backyard.

Construction on the giant swingset won’t be complete for a few more weeks but Libby said she can hardly wait to test out the ropes.

“Because we can go outside and swing and play with my brother,” said Libby.

“It’s a great opportunity to apply skills but more importantly make a difference in these kids’ lives,” said CSU Student Kyle Snow.

Five CSU students worked on building the playground as part of the CM Cares programs. They will also build an elevated sandbox for the siblings.

(Reuters) - A trade group representing makers of artificial limbs on Tuesday promised to provide prosthetics free of cost to the estimated 20 to 25 victims of the Boston Marathon bombings who underwent amputations.

The American Orthotic and Prosthetic Association offered initial services and prosthetics not covered by insurance for patients injured in the blasts, which tore the lower limbs off some spectators near the finish line of the race on April 15.

Costs for a below-knee device average $8,000 to $12,000 each and $40,000 to $60,000 for above-knee prosthetics, said Greig Martino, a prosthetist treating bombing victims.

Three people died and 264 were injured in the blasts, which police said resulted from two homemade bombs in pressure cookers that a pair of ethnic Chechen brothers left near the race's finish line. One of the suspects died in a shootout with police and the other has been charged with crimes that could result in the death penalty if he were convicted.

The association's offer, announced on a conference call with reporters under the name Coalition to Walk and Run Again, will only cover a portion of the expected costs for amputees. Victims who lost both legs face estimated medical bills of $450,000 over the next five years, said Tom Fise, executive director of the association, citing a Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs study.

The association estimates that at least half the Boston Marathon amputees lack enough insurance to cover their prosthetic costs as some policies provide as little as $1,000 per device or only provide one artificial limb. Many prosthetics need replacing every five to seven years.

"The last thing that someone should have to worry about when they lose ... a leg is to have adequate insurance coverage for a prosthetic device," said Kendra Calhoun, president of the Amputee Coalition, an organization supporting the estimated 2 million amputees in the United States.

Other efforts are under way to help victims of the largest mass-casualty attack on U.S. soil since the attacks of September 11, 2001. The One Fund, a relief group set up to provide aid to victims, has brought in some $27.7 million in donations that it promised to pay out to victims.

Members of the American Orthotic and Prosthetic Association, including prosthetists and manufacturers, will provide the evaluation needed to design devices and treat the bombing victims, at least one of whom is a child.

"Many of these patients even today don't know what their insurance has in store for them, nor do we, so the program is about making sure the decisions to restore mobility to these patients are made as independent as we can from any considerations of what the insurance limitations may be," Fise said.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

BECAUSE THESE BRACELETS COULD BUILD A SCHOOL

Ladies’ Home Journal Editor-in-Chief Sally Lee often wears these gorgeous bracelets in her office. When we asked where we could get them, we were surprised to find that they’re handmade by Samburu tribeswomen in northern Kenya. And they’re not just colorful arm candy: 100% of the profits go to the Thorn Tree Project, which builds schools and funds scholarships in the poorest regions in Africa. www.thorntreeproject.org

Pet oxygen masks donated to fire crews
    Donation made by Emma Zen Foundation

SAN DIEGO - Local firefighters and first responders now have the necessary equipment to help save pets thanks to the efforts of a nonprofit group.

No one can forget the scene in Ocean Beach last December when firefighters had a four-year-old dog named Spyder hooked up to an oxygen mask and administering CPR.

Numerous rescues like this have taken place throughout San Diego County, but now crews are better prepared for any future incidents.

"It's going to standardize the equipment that we use and there won't be a delay in trying to figure out how to put an adult mask or something that works on a human on a pet," San Diego Fire-Rescue Capt. Harold Lemire told 10News.

The pet oxygen mask kit has three different sized masks, and its unique shape and rubber seal gives pets in an emergency the best chance for survival.

"These actually close the joules on the pet and deliver the oxygen directly to the pet's nostrils so it simulates proper CPR," said Debra Jo Chiapuzio, president of the Emma Zen Foundation.

Firefighters are also given proper training on not only how to use the masks but also the best way to check for vitals and administer CPR. The masks also work on birds, cats, dogs and pigs.

"Yes, any normal sized household pets, the most interesting rescue I've seen with the mask is a hamster," said Chiapuzio.

Each kit costs $75 and the nonprofit holds several fundraisers throughout the year to purchase the kits.

So far, Fire Station 28 in San Diego is the first to receive them, but they are hoping to get the kits to every station in the county by the end of the year.

"When you can say to a family, 'We saved your pet,' everything else doesn't matter. That family is so happy and appreciative. They thank you; that gives the fire fighters such a great feeling, it makes them just as excited as if they had saved a human," said Lemire.

BECAUSE SCREENING SAVES LIVES

When genetic testing showed she had a 90% chance of getting breast cancer someday, Marissa Levesque got a preventative double mastectomy. After her surgery she couldn’t stop thinking about all the high-risk women who can’t afford the expensive tests – and those lives would be at risk. So she started Pink-Surance which provides funding which provides funding to screen for mutations of the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes that can cause breast and ovarian cancer. Learn more at www.pink-surance.com

Hundreds of beds donated for families in need

TUALATIN, OR (KPTV) - Hundreds of new beds will help give people in need a good night's sleep throughout the Portland metro area.

Sealy Mattress Manufacturing is donating 360 mattresses to agencies including Community Warehouse, The Salvation Army, the Good Neighbor Center and Human Solutions shelters.

More than 160 brand new beds arrived at the Tualatin Community Warehouse, 8380 S.W. Nyberg St., Wednesday.

The beds range in sizes from twin to queen and will be ready for families when the agency opens Thursday morning.

Community Warehouse serves as a furniture bank for the region, offering essential household items to 6,000 people each year.

"This is huge for us," said Tom Elston, program manager at Community Warehouse. "The most requested item is always beds, and one of the hardest things is looking at our empty mattress section in the morning, knowing 10 families will be visiting that day in need of beds. This will help tremendously."

Because Flowers Could Help Cure Breast Cancer

Teleflora will donate 15 percent of the proceeds from sales of its Pink Hope bouquet to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, which has raised more than $270 million since 1993.

Coin Operators

These groups will make every last cent count.

Common Cents Penny Harvest
    Schoolchildren contribute their pennies to help support community organizations. Kids even get to choose which groups receive their contribution. commoncents.org

Central Asia Institute's Pennies for Peace
    The group uses your spare change to build schools for children in Afghanistan and Pakistan -- particularly for girls, who have limited opportunity to get an education. penniesforpeace.org

Penny Lovers of America
    To celebrate its 25th anniversary, the organization is kicking off the National Penny Recycling Campaign; the money it collects funds college scholarships for disadvantaged kids. pennylovers.org

Originally published in Ladies' Home Journal, April 2009

This is just FANTASTIC!!!!

[QUOTE=cassiesmom;2468440](Reuters) - A trade group representing makers of artificial limbs on Tuesday promised to provide prosthetics free of cost to the estimated 20 to 25 victims of the Boston Marathon bombings who underwent amputations.

The American Orthotic and Prosthetic Association offered initial services and prosthetics not covered by insurance for patients injured in the blasts, which tore the lower limbs off some spectators near the finish line of the race on April 15.

Costs for a below-knee device average $8,000 to $12,000 each and $40,000 to $60,000 for above-knee prosthetics, said Greig Martino, a prosthetist treating bombing victims.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Here's a link http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0..._ref=good-news

Kevin Spacey adopted a dog from the North Shore Animal League ...
    And named her Boston, in honor of the city
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678