Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Snow plow driver praised for steering Sylvania wrong-way driver to safety
    SYLVANIA, Ohio -- They often don't get much respect, but now one Ohio Department of Transportation snow plow driver is being cheered for what he did to save lives.

Around 2:30 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 26, highway tech George Seambos was driving his snow plow along US 23 in Sylvania near the Michigan border. Seambos was on snow and ice patrol in the frigid temperatures. While driving, he noticed a set of headlights coming right at him in the wrong direction.

Immediately, Seambos called 911 and turned on his flashers to warn oncoming traffic. He then maneuvered his truck in a way that forced the driver of the wrong-way vehicle to turn around. Seambos then followed the vehicle, of which he assumed an intoxicated person was driving, until police caught up to it.

The driver of the wrong-way vehicle was charged with operating a vehicle under the influence, and due to the quick-thinking of Seambos, a 17-year ODOT veteran, possible tragedy was avoided.

"Every day, ODOT employees do amazing things but what George did for everyone on the road that night is beyond amazing," said ODOT Director Jerry Way. "We will never know if his actions avoided a tragedy...but what we do know is George had the courage to do something..."

The courageous act came less than a year after multiple wrong-way crashes in northwest Ohio killed five six people in a two-week span. According to the National Transportation Safety Board, alcohol is the leading factor in wrong-way crashes that kill hundreds of people each year.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Andrea Roberts Helps Orphans With Down Syndrome Find Homes

Andrea Faris Roberts figured her new son, born in 2002, got his almond-shaped eyes from her husband, Rich.

But when doctors confirmed that Reece had Down syndrome, "I couldn't stop crying," says Andrea, whose prenatal tests were normal. "I thought, 'What's tomorrow going to be like?' "

The answer: Reece has not only enriched his parents' lives but inspired his mom to save kids with Down syndrome around the world. Researching her son's condition, Andrea learned that in many countries, babies born with the disorder are often abandoned and left in orphanages.

Launching Reece's Rainbow in 2004, the former account manager wrote grant applications and networked with adoption agencies, ultimately dispersing over $4 million to fund adoptions of more than 850 children from Russia, China, Mexico and elsewhere.

Parents like John and Charissa Urban of Owasso, Okla., wouldn't know the love of Ava, now 8, adopted from Ukraine in 2008 without the help of Reece's Rainbow. They turned to the organization to help with funds to bring home little Ava – who weighed only 19 lbs. and was unable to roll over at age 3.
    Though she initially had to use a walker to get around, Ava is now running, jumping and playing with her six siblings, including two who are adopted also (one of whom also has Down syndrome). "She's the center of our family," Charissa says. "We're so grateful."

Andrea says that families are being built every day.

"What is wonderful about Reece's Rainbow, is that families can go and see children's photos on the website and know that money is being raised to help with the adoption costs," says Andrea. "They see that it is a better possibility for them to be able to afford to adopt without the years of painful heartbreak in waiting to try to raise funds."

Today, 10-year-old Reece is in the 5th grade and loves playing basketball with his little brother, Owen, 7, in the family's yard in Gaithersburg, Maryland. He's also challenging his father at golf.

"He's got a better golf game than my husband any day of the week," laughs Andrea, 40. "He's got a wonderful swing."
    Andrea insists that children with Down syndrome in institutions around the world are not forgotten and would be adopted if more families could afford the typical $25,000 fee (which includes home study costs, travel and adoption expenses).

"After six and a half years, all I can say to the world is, 'I told you so. I told you these kids were wanted,' " says Andrea. "Today, 850 children are not hidden away in institutions anymore. We have new connections every single day."

She adds: "If we had a full grant for every child on our website, we would have no children on our website. The cost is what is hard for people but every life is worth it. If we had more sponsors who could write a check for each of these kids and they would all have families. All of them."

And the proud mother says that her son Reece continues to be an inspiration.

"Reece," she says, "has helped so many families begin."

The Gary J. Lynn Foundation

I was born with Cerebral Palsy with no hope of ever functioning. Although I am still in a wheelchair I am now in college and an A student. My mother always had my three brothers and I do volunteer work a few times during the year. I decided since I have cp I should start my own foundation and raise money to help with the research of cerebral palsy hoping to one day eradicate wheelchairs and give a voice to those who cannot be heard. Since I have wonderful doctors that I am so grateful for I am raising money for the things they need in their research for cp and to help improve the quality of life for those already afflicted with this disorder. I feel so good being able to give back to the doctors who do so much for me. They have now become more than doctors and their concern for me is overwhelming. My website is www.thegaryjlynnfoundation.org and I am raising money for my doctors at Texas Children's Hospital, cerebral palsy division.

Local firefighter called a hero after saving dog

CLERMONT COUNTY, OH - A volunteer firefighter is being called a hero after saving the life of man's best friend.

Danny Redden, a Felicity firefighter, risked his life to save a dog from a frozen lake.

Dog owner Larry Trammel admits that his 9-year-old dog, Brownie, has gained a bit of weight over the years. She has gotten too heavy, in fact, for the ice.

Brownie was chasing ducks when she wandered onto the ice of a fishing pond. The ice broke under the dog's feet leaving Brownie stranded in the middle of the pond.

"I thought she was going to drown," said Trammel. "I knew I couldn't walk out on [the ice]. She was pitiful sounding, you know, barking and crying and fighting."

Trammel called 911. Moments later, the Felicity Fire Department arrived at the scene.

Danny Redden went out on the ice with a rescue basket while Lt. Scott Colyer held on to a safety rope.

"We went about five feet when the ice gave way and consumed every bit of my body," said Redden. "The only thing I could keep up was my head."

Redden kept swimming toward the dog and managed to secure Brownie in the rescue basket. Redden says his feet could not touch the bottom of the lake but his fellow firefighters pulled him and Brownie to safety.

Redden says he has never done a cold water rescue before. However, he credits the save to his training.

Redden, a dog lover himself, got into a medic unit to recuperate. Brownie warmed up in her usual spot next to the fireplace.

Homeless man returns ring accidentally given to him

KANSAS CITY, MO - A woman trying to help out a homeless man on The Plaza ended up giving away a lot more than a little change. She accidentally gave him her engagement ring, but the twist to the story is what the man did with it.

People hearing this story might think the homeless man's luck would similar to winning the lottery - you live under a bridge, then, the next thing you know, you end up with platinum and diamonds. For some, it could be a life changer.

Billy Ray Harris got that change and then some last Friday.

"The ring was so big that I knew if it was real, it was expensive," Harris said.

He didn't notice it in his orange cup until almost an hour after its original owner unzipped her wallet and dumped her change into it.

"My rings were bothering me, so I put them in my coin purse," Sarah Darling explained.

Darling said she didn't realize what she'd done until the next day.

"I was so incredibly upset because, more than just the value of the ring, it had sentimental value," she said.

Her high emotions were justified because the item she had accidentally dumped into Harris' cup along with her spare change was her engagement ring after all.

Harris didn't know that, but he knew plenty well how sentiment matters more than money.

"She squatted down like you did like right there and says ‘Do you remember me?' And I was like, ‘I don't know. I see a lot of faces.' She says, ‘I might have gave you something very valuable.' I said, ‘Was it a ring?' And she says, ‘Yeah.' And I said ‘Well, I have it,'" Harris said.

"It seemed like a miracle. I thought for sure there was no way I would get it back," Darling said.

Some may wonder, based on Harris' current situation, why he didn't just pawn it and start a new life.

"My grandfather was a reverend. He raised me from the time I was 6 months old and thank the good Lord, it's a blessing, but I do still have some character," he said.

"I think in our world we often jump to like the worst conclusion, and it just makes you realize that there are good people out there," Darling said.

Harris had lots of great lost and found stories to tell, including one that happened, a long time ago, during a Chiefs-Raiders game. There was a retired Raiders player in The Plaza with his friends. They'd been drinking, and he jumped into Brush Creek, that runs alongside the entertainment district. The retired player got out and told everyone he lost his Super Bowl ring in the creek. Harris found it, later, on the pavement here. He walked all the way over to the Intercontinental Hotel, where he figured they were staying, told the desk clerk and got it back to its owner. He got a generous reward that time and a three-night stay in the Rafael Hotel.

Darling also gave Harris a reward – she gave him all the cash she had in her wallet at the time.

Officer, restaurant help mystery man stranded at train station

ETRRICK, Va. – A police officer and a neighborhood restaurant came to the aid of an elderly New York man stranded at a Chesterfield train station on a cold, wet night.

As the Amtrak train pulled out of the station in Ettrick Monday night, the older man who walked with the help of a cane was all alone when the station closed.

Chesterfield County Police Officer Ricky Cremonese told CBS 6 News senior reporter Wayne Covil that he spotted the man, who was a bit frightened because of several men who kept on walking past him.

As a result, the officer decided he would walk the stranger to the Jeff’s Place, a local watering hole nearby.

As Cremonese and the man walked in, everyone was a bit startled. Many in the room thought the man looked like Santa Claus.

Donna Sheffield, who works at Jeff’s Place, said the officer and the stranger were soaked when they both walked in.

Sheffield, who told the officer the man could certainly stay at the restaurant until his son arrived from Hampton, said that for about the next hour the stranger watched as the regulars played darts.

Then Sheffield said she witnessed something special: a reunion between the stranger and his grandson who had not seen each other in more than 12 years.

“The first thing he did was take both of his hands and touch his cheeks,” she said. “And then he told him, ‘you were only this big’ and his hand down real low… and he was teared up and it… got to you a little bit.”

While some folks in the community think Cremonese went beyond the call of duty, he said it was just all in a day’s work.

“I know it sounds cliché, but it is our job,” Cremonese said. ” There’s no way I could leave this gentleman… in the pouring rain. Not only that, it was dark down here, he was scared and visibly upset.”

Leah Hostalet Helps Find Kidney Transplant Matches on Facebook

This Valentine's Day, kidney transplant recipient Jerry Wilde is celebrating life with his family thanks to a devoted friend, a generous stranger – and Facebook.

When the kidney he had received through a transplant in 1992 developed a cancerous tumor and was surgically removed, Wilde was put back on dialysis and was told that just eight percent of people with his blood type could be his donor. Dozens of friends, family and colleagues were tested to see if they were a match, but to no avail.

"The waiting period for my blood type on the transplant list was long, between two and a half and three years," says Wilde, 50, a professor of educational psychology at Indiana University East. "I didn't think I'd survive that long. I thought, 'Well this just isn't going to happen. I'm just going to wither away.'"

But when Leah Hostalet, Wilde's friend and former student, saw a status update from Wilde in November of 2011 that he was in search of a kidney donor, she wanted to help.

On November 18 she set up a Facebook page, Find a Kidney for Jerry, which included his blood type and other pertinent medical information. Becky Melton – a total stranger to Wilde – saw the page that would change both their lives.

"I was looking for purpose in my life. It just struck me," says Melton, 28, who was scrolling through Facebook when she saw Jerry's page, "I thought, 'I want to do this. This is my guy. I am going to give him my kidney.' "

Melton, a loan processor in Richmond, Ind., and Wilde exchanged information. On December 14, Melton found out she was a match, and texted Wilde a photo of herself holding a sign with a picture of two kidneys on it. The sign read: "We're a match!" Wilde still gets choked up thinking about that day.

"I was standing in the living room in shock," he says. "I had never met this person. It's like, who does this for a complete stranger?"

On February 24, 2012, the transplant took place and Wilde has been healthy ever since.

From left: Becky Melton, Jerry Wilde and Lea Hostalet four months after his transplant

JAMESTOWN, N.C. — A dog that was stolen from a Jamestown home back in 2011 returned home on Wednesday.

Zorro, a 170-pound Great Dane, was stolen during a home invasion on Nov. 11, 2011. Marcie Trogdon told FOX8 back in 2011 someone entered the home through an unlocked door and stole the dog.

“A laptop or a TV can be replaced. Zorro is like a family member. All my kids are grown, so he’s my baby,” Trogdon said in 2011.

Then, on Wednesday night, Zorro showed up at her house.

Trogdon said her neighbor alerted her to the large dog outside of her door.

“He was like ‘Do you know who’s dog this is?’ And I said, ‘what dog?’ and about that time Zorro comes running around the corner and I said ‘Oh my God! That’s Zorro!” Trogdon said.

Zorro is overweight and has ringworm but otherwise seems healthy and happy.

Trogdon thinks someone stole her dog and brought him back when his care became too expensive.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    JAMESTOWN, N.C. — A dog that was stolen from a Jamestown home back in 2011 returned home on Wednesday.

Zorro, a 170-pound Great Dane, was stolen during a home invasion on Nov. 11, 2011. Marcie Trogdon told FOX8 back in 2011 someone entered the home through an unlocked door and stole the dog.

“A laptop or a TV can be replaced. Zorro is like a family member. All my kids are grown, so he’s my baby,” Trogdon said in 2011.

Then, on Wednesday night, Zorro showed up at her house.

Trogdon said her neighbor alerted her to the large dog outside of her door.

“He was like ‘Do you know who’s dog this is?’ And I said, ‘what dog?’ and about that time Zorro comes running around the corner and I said ‘Oh my God! That’s Zorro!” Trogdon said.

Zorro is overweight and has ringworm but otherwise seems healthy and happy.

Trogdon thinks someone stole her dog and brought him back when his care became too expensive.
    WOW!!! Great story........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

How nice that they brought him back and didn't just abandon him!

Nice tale there!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

My Loving Husband

My husband was so sick this past Tuesday that we had to go to our Doctor. As we were leaving a older lady was short the $10.00 to pay her co-pay. She said she did not have it with her. My husband overheard this and handed the lady at the desk the $10 for the other woman. She was so appreciative and she wanted to know my husband's name so she could pay him back and he said don't worry about it it's only ten dollars. And she said thank you to him and then we left. My husband has a heart of gold, whether he is sick or healthy!

You both have a heart of gold,I know that more than anyone,it is such a privilege to know such kind awesome people .:love
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

All of these stories warm your heart and make you hopeful that with all of the bad stories we hear each day, that the good stories really do exceed the bad.

Thanks for sharing all of the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    You both have a heart of gold,I know that more than anyone,it is such a privilege to know such kind awesome people .:love
    Bobcat is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. So glad he chose me (or did I choose him?)

But, I just wanted you to know that I found this story on a "pay if forward" website. No names were given, so I don't know who the real people were. It wasn't me and Bobcat, though.

There are so many more good people in the world than bad. I'm sick and tired of all the bad ones getting the press. So, if you see, read or experience a hopeful, positive moment, please share.

Oh I see,well I still stand by everything I wrote 100 per cent,great to read about the nice people for once Lisa.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️