Page 23 of 62 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    A story I found on the net (not sure of the website).

She was Lost and Sick

He stood in the middle of the street and called me over in a heavy accent. A lady in a car had that here's-the-map-but-I'm-lost look. We three conferred and then I got in the lady's car and guided her to her hotel. She was in town for a week of medical treatments and had driven 13 hours. It was a beautiful summer evening and I was able to walk home, smiling the whole way.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

BECAUSE COMFORT FOOD REALLY HELPS

My daughter, Lisa, and her husband had just moved to a new neighborhood when their 8-week old son, Harrison, was diagnosed with leukemia. Since he had to be hospitalized for 6 months for chemo, Lisa stayed with Harrison in the hospital and my son-in-law was home with their two other boys. When the families in their neighborhood found out, they brought over dinner not just for the first week, but for the entire 6 months of Harrison’s treatment!
    Carole, Altamonte Springs, Florida

Favio Chavez Helps Children Make Music – Out of Trash

Back in 2006, ecologist and musician Favio Chavez found himself working on a recycling project in Cateura, Paraguay – a small village that sits atop a landfill.

He was horrified by the conditions in which children were living.

"It is not a place where people are supposed to live," he tells PEOPLE. "It's where the city throws its garbage."

So he decided to do something about it. Chavez, who had once run an orchestra in his nearby village Carapeguá, was inspired to create the Recycled Orchestra, where kids play instruments made from recycled garbage.

Cellos are made from oil cans and wood. Violins are made from whatever is around, including recycled forks.

"If the community wasn't next to a dumpster it would've never occurred to us to create instruments out of trash," says Chavez, 38. "This was just a natural solution based on our surroundings."

Chavez and the band are highlighted in Landfill Harmonic, a film that documents the harsh conditions of living on the landfill.
    Kickstarter has launched a campaign, which ends May 15, to raise money to finish the project and bring the film to theaters worldwide. The campaign includes opening the Landfill Harmonic social movement and a world wide tour for the orchestra

"I know one shouldn't be naïve," Chavez says. "Music isn't going to change or fix all problems, but through the orchestra they can find stability they don't have in their family and communities."

Since its inception, Chavez has taught more than 100 kids. They say the band has done more for them than just bring music into their lives. It's brought hope.

"Before the orchestra, there was nothing to do," says Brandon Cabone, 16, who plays bass created from a can. "There are a lot of bad things to get into like drugs. It's been a big change in my life. My father is happy the orchestra is there."

Now, he says, he dreams of going to college.

"Favio has taught me many things about life and education," he says. "I would like to advance my education at a university, have a better life and integrate a formal orchestra."

In 2011, Chavez quit his job to devote all his time to the band.

"The orchestra is super important to me and I'm happy my wife is involved too," he says. "The kids are like our family now."

UWS Students Raise $800 To Pay For Injured Dog’s Vet Bills
    Pup Found On Brooklyn Street With Serious Bite Wounds

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A dog that was rescued after being dumped on a Brooklyn street and left to die is recovering thanks in part to students from an Upper West Side school that helped raise money to pay for her medical bills.

The young pit bull puppy named Misty was found with serious injuries and bite wounds all over her face and body. She is believed to have been used as a bait dog for dog fighting.

When Second Chance Rescue took Misty from a city shelter to treat her wounds, students at the Stephen Gaynor School began following the pup’s progress on the “Misty’s Journey” Facebook page and decided to help.

They set up bake sales and raised more than $800 to help pay for Misty’s care.

Dr. Kim Spanjol, a school counselor who works with the students on humane-education programs, said the students were inspired to help Misty.

“We do donate to a lot of dogs, but Misty was the victim of dog fighting which is a big problem in our city, around the country and around the world” she told 1010 WINS.

On Thursday, Misty visited the school so students could meet her in person.

Spanjol said she hopes the students’ work will help raise awareness about dog fighting.

“There aren’t any bad dogs, there are bad owners,” Spanjol said. “And that’s a message that the kids feel really strongly about – that pit bulls are often victimized because of that image and it’s really, really shameful and the kids want to do everything they can to show people that pit bulls are also sweet and loving dogs and Misty is a perfect example of that.”

Spanjol said the students have formed a group called the Youth Animal Protectors Club.

“It’s an issue that they care about very deeply,” she said.

Misty is doing much better and is ready for adoption. If you’d like to adopt or more information, visit www.nycsecondchancerescue.org

Father who lost son to leukemia helps transport children with cancer

After losing his 5-year-old son to leukemia in 2000, Richard Nares wanted to do something to help the families that do not have the same level of support that his family did. So three years later, he founded the Emilio Nares Foundation (ENF), named after his son.

Helping low-income families in California, the San Diego-based organization may be best known for its "Ride With Emilio" program, in which the foundation helps transport children with cancer to their chemotherapy and doctor appointments. But what makes the small nonprofit stand out is its hands-on approach.

"It's a real calling just to know that you can help, and see these families get to their appointments," Nares told The Huffington Post, adding that he's usually "there at the hospital every day." (Except for this month, while Nares is running 700 miles from San Francisco to San Diego to fundraise for the organization.)

Earlier this month, Silvia Johnson, the single mother of a child with cancer who receives regular rides to the hospital, explained to CNN that ENF provides her family with eight to 10 rides per week, all on the foundation's own dime.

"I don't know what I would do without them," Johnson told CNN.

Johnson is like many other parents in the area, some of whom own just one car or do not have the means to transport their children to the hospital for weekly appointments. Funded primarily by private grants and donations, Nares estimates that ENF drives more than 40,000 miles a year, carpooling families to hospitals in the San Diego area.

But the door-to-door program is much more than a simple transportation service. ENF picks up multiple families on any given day, some of whom, Nares said, ENF has been driving for two or three years. No one is dropped off until all of the are children are finished with their appointments.

"These issues with transportation are just huge. We have adults in San Diego asking us for rides," Nares told HuffPost, adding that ENF serves only children with cancer.

Aside from the carpool service, which Nares said is unlike any other in the nation because of its personal service, ENF also helps patients by providing an information center, equipped with laptops and staff to help families find resources, and organizes other weekly programs such as knitting-cum-support groups and snack deliveries to hospital rooms.

Nares admits that, after losing his son, it's difficult to be around small children with cancer every day. "Sometimes I relive the stress I see on their faces," he said. But, he added, "We do it because we have compassion for these families."

(source: Huffington Post "Good News" page)
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The Clothespin Movement

I am trying to start something called the Clothespin Movement. Basically the idea of the movement is to write an encouraging phrase on a clothespin and clip it to someone or something. It could be a stranger's backpack, a friend, a sibling, a coworker, or a teacher. When you get a clothespin, you get the opportunity to spread it to another person.

Because Buying Lipstick Could Protect the Lives of Millions

As part of a new initiative, sales of MAC's Viva Glam lipsticks will fund programs that prevent the spread of HIV in women. Since 1994 the company has raised more than $160 million to fight HIV/AIDS globally.

Perfect Stranger

Last year was hard. My husband and I lost our business and also had to pay more than $20,000 in health-insurance costs. To cut down on food expenses we stock our big freezer with meat we buy in bulk. So when I went out to the garage one day last summer and found the freezer door open -- and thousands of dollars' worth of ruined food -- it was devastating. A few days later three readers of my blog, momofali.com, showed up at my house with food to restock my freezer. What made this gesture even more amazing? They live more than 400 miles away!
    Diane, Columbus, Ohio

Swim Across America: Tampa Bay swims for cancer research

Tampa, Florida - "It really is about touching lives in different ways then just getting on top of an Olympic podium and receiving an Olympic gold medal."

Former three-time Olympic champion Brooke Bennett is gearing up, putting on her swimsuit again as she prepares to swim for cancer research. Brooke is joining 200 other volunteers on May 18 at Clearwater Beach to Swim Across America, the national non-profit organization dedicated to raising money for cancer research, prevention and treatment.

"Last year's initial event was terrific. We had more than 100 swimmers, we raised $100,000 for Moffitt Cancer Center Research and this year we are expecting to have more than 200 swimmers and hopefully, double that amount," said Swimmer Recruiter Craig Cordell.

You don't have to be a professional swimmer to join the race. Jim Sirignano, for example, swims for a purpose that's very close to his heart.

"My brother Paul was diagnosed with his second cancer Ocular Melanoma. After five years it metastasized to his liver and he passed away three years ago," said Jim.

Swimming in his brother's honor for the past nine years and now his sister Joann, who is undergoing chemotherapy, he says Swim Across America is a finish line away to help find the cure for a deadly disease.

"We're making a difference, because we know this money is going directly to their research and we know that without their research and care that we're not going to get closer to a cure."

For more information about Swim Across America and this Saturday's event details, visit their website at www.swimacrossamerica.org

Anderson officer rescues dog found nursing kitten

ANDERSON, SC (FOX Carolina) - An Anderson animal control officer rescued an unlikely pair after she found a dog nursing a young kitten along a creek.

An Anderson animal control officer rescued a dog on Monday, who was found nursing a kitten.

Officer Michelle Smith was dispatched to North Pointe Creek behind Home Depot in Anderson on Monday after a caller said she heard a dog barking in the area since Saturday.

To her surprise, Smith found the dog nursing a kitten at the bottom of a steep embankment along a deep ravine.

Smith rescued the small female dog and her adoptive kitten, taking them to Anderson County P.AW.S. where they have spent the past day together.

"This is one example of why I love my job," Smith said in her report.

Smith said the dog is taking care of her adopted baby, keeping the kitten clean and well fed.

Animal control hopes the dog's owner will come forward and agree to adopt the pair together.

Students cut hair to raise money for cancer research
    Hair will be made into wigs

CUMBERLAND, Maine —Dozens of students, teachers and other volunteers at Greely High School in Cumberland are chopping off their hair for a good cause.
    In what the school has dubbed "The Pantene Beautiful Lengths Ponytail-Cutting Event," volunteer hairdressers from around Cumberland County spent Tuesday afternoon cutting hair that will then be donated to an organization that turns it into wigs.
    Those wigs will then be distributed to women who have lost hair due to cancer treatment.

"I love doing this. I've done it two times already. This is my third time," said a student Meredith Clark.

The event is sponsored by the American Cancer Society.

"I think it says that our students really care and we feel whatever little bit you can do to help, you don't need to be personally touched by cancer to make a difference," said teacher Katie Dexter.

Because Comic Relief Really Works

The Big Apple Circus's Clown Care program brings cheer to thousands of sick kids. The team does their "rounds" in 16 pediatric hospitals around the country, making nearly 250,000 visits a year.

Indianapolis waitress gets $446 tip

INDIANAPOLIS - CeCe Bruce has received a couple of large tips in her life, but nothing like the one she got Wednesday morning.

CeCe works at the Steak 'n Shake restaurant at Keystone and 54th Street.

She said, "I was having a hard time at another table, but kept smiling and going on," and that's when one of her regular customers did something that shocked her.

When CeCe picked up the credit card receipt, "at first I thought, '$46?' And I said, 'Miss Jo, that's really generous!'"

But Miss Jo had actually left her a far bigger tip.

"When I looked again, I said 'Oh my gosh Miss Jo, I'm not taking that!' And she said, 'Yes, you're taking it' and I said no and she said 'You need to take it'," CeCe said.

The bill was $5.97, the tip $446.

"I didn't think I was worth $400 but, you know, she feels I am," she laughed.

CeCe, who's going to school part-time at Martin University, said the tip couldn't have come at a better time.

"Pay bills, pay bills right on time, that's what I'm definitely going to do," CeCe said.

She wasn't the only one at the restaurant wearing an extra big smile.

Manager Lindsay Banack said, "You've seen how everyone was pepped up a bit...it just makes me feel good about humanity."

As for Miss Jo? CeCe barely got the chance to say thank you.

"She's a really sweet lady and she didn't want any gracious gratitude. She signed the receipt and walked out the door," CeCe said, adding, "Miss Jo, if you're watching, I love you and thank you very much!"

Because Earth Day Is Every Day

Coming to a local garden center near you: Some of the country's largest nurseries are using recycled butter tubs instead of brand-new black plastic planters this spring as part of a new initiative from TerraCycle, a company that creates fun new products from recycled packaging. Learn more (and find out how you can get involved) at terracycle.net.