Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162 LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Army Lt. reunited with dog after 3 months overseas

PHOENIX -- It's been three months since Army Lt. Charles Smith and his dog, Peanut, have seen each other.

“It's been very emotional leading up to this day, so when I walked through those doors and saw him ... I was speechless,” Smith said.

Three months ago, Smith was deployed overseas and didn't know what to do with his dog.

“Thinking that you have to surrender your dog is never a good feeling, so I called and they told me about Project Active Duty," he said. "It was such a relief to know that he would have a home while I was gone."

Project Active Duty is a program put on by the Arizona Humane Society and PetSmart to care for and protect animals of those who are protecting us around the world.

Elizabeth Wells fostered Peanut while Smith was away.

“I definitely wanted to be a part of this program because he is military, and I don't want to have to see anyone have to give up their beloved pet for any reason, especially for serving their country,” Wells said.

“It's definitely good that there are programs like this in place," Smith said. "I'm going to share it with my soldiers and let them know that there is this opportunity. If they have pets they'll be able to take advantage of it."

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Firefighters 'shovel it forward' for man who suffered cardiac emergency

Some Wisconsin firefighters who helped finish the job for a man who had a cardiac emergency while shoveling snow are now inspiring others in snow-blanketed areas to help out their neighbors.

On Sunday, the Greenfield Fire Department in Greenfield, Wisconsin, responded to a call about a man who had a heart issue while shoveling after a storm that dumped a foot of snow. After transporting him to the hospital, the firefighters returned to the man's driveway and shoveled the rest of it for him, according to a Facebook post by the department.

The Greenfield Fire Department then started a hashtag, #ShovelItForward, encouraging others to pitch in for those who may need help dealing with heavy snow.

Bird watchers and firefighters rescue unusual duck trapped in Fox River
    (From the Chicago Tribune)

A group of volunteers and firefighters helped rescue a duck trapped in fishing line in the Fox River over the weekend.

The Harlequin duck, believed to be a juvenile male, was pulled out of the water early morning on Jan. 31 and brought to a local rehabilitation center.

Annette Prince, director of the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors, said bird watchers who saw the duck struggling in the water contacted her group for assistance. Prince said people also had reached out to her group weeks earlier because they saw the duck apparently suffering from a leg injury but could not get to him to offer aid.

"Because they can fly, they're not reachable," Prince said. "His wings were fully functioning, so he was able to get to food sources."

Getting entangled in finishing line—a common hazard for birds—ironically gave the concerned volunteers an opening to approach and capture the duck.

"It's almost a good misfortune," Prince said.

Still too far from shore for any of the volunteers to reach him, crews from the Elgin Fire Department were called to the scene to help, Battalion Chief Terry Bruce said. Eventually they were able to use a pike pole, a tool normally used to pull down drywall inside a building to check for hot spots, to hook onto the fishing line and pull the duck to shore. Eric Secker, an Elgin resident who volunteers with the Bird Conservation Network, then brought the duck to the Willowbrook Wildlife Center in Glen Ellyn for treatment.

"It was a great cooperative effort," Prince said. "I think a lot of people were invested in making sure nothing bad happened to it."

Harlequins spend most of their time in mountain streams and rivers, and deep dive for fish at or near the bottom of the waterway, according to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Harlequins typically are found along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts but the species itself is not rare. The International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources estimates that there are between 190,000 and 380,000 Harlequins worldwide and states that the population trend is increasing.

Jeff Skrentny, a bird watcher and conservationist in Chicago, said Harlequins might be spotted in areas like the Fox River once every five to 10 years.

"This bird was particularly exceptional. Any year that there's a Harlequin duck in northeastern Illinois, I go to see it," Skrentny said. "That particular bird has been there two years in a row. It's not unusual that a bird would find a place a winter and come back to that place again."

Despite the rescue effort, veterinarian Dr. Jen Nevis said the duck may be too ill to be released back into the wild. Her initial examination showed that he was in decent condition despite having badly curled toes, possibly from old fractures that improperly healed, which prevented him from bearing weight on that leg. X-rays later revealed infections in both feet.

Nevis said the duck is on pain medications and antibiotics. She added they were going to work to stretch out his toes in order to loosen up the tendons and ligaments and fit him with orthopedic boots to help stabilize his foot, in an effort to help him stand properly. Without that rehabilitation for his feet, the duck would have a very tough time back in his normal habitat.

"On land, he's going to be a disaster," Nevis said. "If he got up on land, he wouldn't be able to run away."

If the therapy and the medications don't work, his outlook is dim.

"If he's overcome with some of these toe infections, then he either would have to euthanized or potentially placed, but he definitely would be a special needs bird so placement could be difficult," Nevis said.

Though the duck may not survive, Prince said she still was encouraged to see so many people team up to help the duck, which would have died in the water without intervention.

"That's making a positive statement that that bird mattered," Prince said. "It's not just something we would ignore. It shows real respect to nature and the value of animal life. If there's a way to give him some care, we want to give him a chance."
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    What a fascinating idea! And so much more useful that the discarded bags one sees stuck in trees by the roadside! It even seems like it would be a good mat to kneel on when gardening, too - I can think of many ways they can be used. But so much of staying warm is about insulation for homeless folks - anything between them and the cold ground is a good thing!

I want to learn to do this! http://www.instructables.com/id/What-you-Need-3/
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Detroit Man Who Walks 21 Miles a Day to Work 'So Grateful' More Than $149,000 Is Raised for Him

When James Robertson's 1988 Honda Accord broke down a decade ago, the Detroit man didn't just go out and buy a new one.

Instead, Robertson, who makes $10.55 an hour – not enough to buy, maintain and insure a car – decided he was going to walk to and from work, a journey that stretches a marathon-length 21 miles.

He also takes a bus partway to his job destination: Schain Mold & Engineering.

Last Sunday, the Detroit Free Press reported that the 56-year-old has been making this long trek for years, no matter the weather.

"I don't think what I do is big deal," Robertson tells PEOPLE. "I do what I have to do to get to work in the morning. It's just a part of my life."

What it takes, he says, is determination and faith.

"My parents taught me hard work ethic growing up in Detroit," he says. "It's all about keeping your schedule on track and focusing your mind on what matters."

Paying It Forward
    After the newspaper article on Robertson was published, Evan Leedy, 19, a student at Wayne State University, became inspired.

"I was blown away," Leedy tells PEOPLE. "He has been doing this for so long and doesn't complain. I thought of myself and how most people could never do what he does every single day."

As Leedy was looking through the readers' comments on the story, he saw people asking how they could donate money to help Robertson get a car.

"I then decided to create a GoFundMe page where people could donate," says Leedy. "I set the goal for $5,000, but I really didn't think many people would see it or donate."

Before he knew it, thousands of dollars were coming in. One day later, more 5,300 people donated a total in excess of $149,000.

"We now have car dealerships and car companies saying they will donate a car," Leedy says. "We can now use this money to truly change James' life."

Robertson currently doesn't live in a great neighborhood, and even with a car, he lives far from work.

"We can get him a nice place to live," Leedy says. "A place he deserves."

On Monday night, Leedy and Robertson met for the first time.

"It was so amazing to finally meet James," Leedy said. "I am really just so happy people trusted that the money was going to him so we can help turn his life around. He deserves it."

The first word that comes to Robertson's mind when he thinks of Leedy and the thousands that have donated: Shocked.

"I am just so stunned," he says. "Who would have thought that just a simple walk would have turned into this? I would have told you that you were crazy a few days ago."

Robertson is looking forward to putting his walking days behind him.

"I am taking this as a sign that it's time I start driving again," he said. "And getting more than two hours of sleep a night."

A Typical Work Day
    Robertson leaves for work at 8 a.m. to get to work in time for his 2 p.m. shift as an injection molder.

When he finishes work at 10 p.m, he starts his trek home.

His colleagues notice that although he never complains about having to walk, they can see it's taking a toll on his body.

"He comes in here looking real tired – his legs, his knees," his coworker Janet Vallardo, 59, of Auburn Hills, told the Free Press.

Robertson doesn't just make this walk for his paycheck. He also cares about the people he has worked with for so many years.

"We're like a family," Robertson, who also gets fed dinner every weeknight by the plant manager's wife, tells the newspaper. "I look at her food, I always say, 'Excellent. No, not excellent. Phenomenal.'"

Despite his long and strenuous commute, Robertson is never late for work.

"I set our attendance standard by this man," Todd Wilson, plant manager at Schain Mold & Engineering, told the newspaper. "I say, 'If this man can get here, walking all those miles through snow and rain ….' Well, I'll tell you, I have people in Pontiac, 10 minutes away, and they say they can't get here – Bull!"

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Thank you! I've been looking for some instructions on how to cut up the bags.

From People Magazine: The Daily Treat: Miranda Lambert Gives More Than $200,000 to Pets in Need

Miranda Lambert continues to be dog's best friend!

Her MuttNation Foundation distributed over $200,000 to animal shelters in each of the 50 states in January.

"I feel so passionately about helping all animals and I'm thrilled that we have once again been able to give to phenomenal shelters all across the country," Lambert said in a statement. "The people at these shelters do such amazing work day in and day out and are truly heroes for the animals."

Lambert, 31, co-founded the non-profit organization in 2009 with her mom Bev, and to date it has raised over $1.5 million in support of animals. The money goes to spay and neuter efforts, medical treatments, adoptions, legislative changes and education.

"The unconditional love you get from a dog is better than anything else," Lambert told PEOPLE Country in 2012. "I can give the biggest show of my life, and my dogs don't give a damn. They're just happy to see their mom. Everyone should have a dog – the love they give back is like nothing else."

You're never too old to contribute

Australia's Oldest Man Spends Free Time Knitting Tiny Sweaters for Injured Penguins

Alfred "Alfie" Date, Australia's oldest living man, is putting his amazingly sharp mind and nimble hands to good use.

The 109-year-old likes to spend his free time knitting little sweaters for injured penguins from his room at a retirement home New South Wales, reports 9Stories.

Alfie picked up the hobby over 80 years, when his sister-in-law handed him a pair of needles and some wool and asked the man to knit a jumper for her baby boy.

That baby boy grew out of the jumper decades ago, but Alfie has continued to knit. The great-great-grandfather enjoys taking requests, so when two nurses asked in March if he wanted to knit sweaters for needy penguins, Alfie started stitching.

His creations were donated to Victoria's Phillip Island Penguin Foundation to help little penguins affected by an oil spill. Little penguins are a rare species only found in Australia and New Zealand, with just 32,000 living on Phillip Island.

Oil from the spill caused the penguins' feathers to stick together, allowing cold water to reach their skin. Sweaters from generous knitters like Alfie helped the birds stay warm while they waited to be cleaned up. The garments also prevented the penguins from picking at their feathers and accidentally consuming the toxic oil.

Thanks to Alfie and thousands of other knitters from around the world, Victoria's Phillip Island Penguin Foundation was overwhelmed with cozy jumpers, which allowed the foundation to fully rehabilitate many of the birds.

With this good deed done, Alfie now keeps his hands busy by knitting scarves for friends and hats for premature babies.

"It's a good way of getting along in life," Alfie said about his hobby. "You make friends all the time, but you don't make a fool of yourself either."

I wish they would have shown the sweaters on real penguins and not stuffed animals.
    I feel like I've actually seen them before though. Such a great thing!
    And to be 109 and still able to do knitting. I am only 40-something and I can't knit!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I wish they would have shown the sweaters on real penguins and not stuffed animals...
    That would be cute but I guess I'm glad they didn't have any penguins covered in oil for the photo op.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe he knitted those sweaters in the picture. They are remarkable sweaters! I'm in awe. If I wasn't married...

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    That would be cute but I guess I'm glad they didn't have any penguins covered in oil for the photo op.
    Ahh, good point! They could have put them on clean birds just for modeling purposes. But yes, you are right. I wouldn't want to see oil soaked penguins either.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

DEAR ABBY: Once again I have found that one random act of kindness begets another.

Today, I had a hankering for one of those great salads from my favorite fast food chain. It was noon, and the line from the main highway to get into the driveway was long.

When I finally was able to turn in to the ordering section, I noticed a man in his work truck trying to get into the line. We were face-to-face. I looked back, saw all the cars behind me and knew none of them were going to let him in, so I motioned for him to go ahead of me.

When I reached the window and started to pay for my order, the cashier said, "You are already paid for." I said, "What?" The man in front of me had paid for my order.

The message? Be kind -- it's good karma. -- LINDA IN ORANGE, CALIF.

DEAR LINDA: I agree. Like a stone thrown into a pond, a good deed can create ripples that extend far beyond the initial splash.

Donkey basketball raises money for Albany teacher battling cancer

http://www.kptv.com/clip/10011244/do...attling-cancer

ALBANY, OR (KPTV) - Students, staff and even a rival school rallied to support a South Albany High School teacher who is battling cancer.

A donkey basketball game was held Tuesday night for Jason Henkel, who was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer.

"When we found out he was going to be going through this, I think everyone wanted to back him up and help as much as we could," said student organizer Amanda Kelley.

Organizers hope the event, which was held at the Linn County Fairgrounds, will contribute to Henkel's future medical bills.

Kelley said donkey basketball is an old tradition at her high school, so when an opportunity emerged to bring it back for a good cause, students jumped at the chance to participate.

There were eight teams from Albany-area schools and organizations, and even a team of Henkel's doctors.

Henkel wasn't able to attend because he just underwent chemotherapy treatment.

Naugatuck student creates backpack meant for children battling cancer

A Naugatuck Elementary School student is trying to help others who are battling cancer.

The now 11-year-old student had fought the disease herself, at just 3 years old, and now she has invented a new device that is aimed at making a child's fight a little easier.

Kylie Simonds has created a backpack that is themed with Hello Kitty, lights up, but it is really a pediatric IV backpack that can easily be carried around.

“My inspiration is for all my friends that had cancer and have cancer they all inspired me to make this,” Simonds said.

The backpack would be used for children who are going through chemotherapy treatments.

Simonds thought of the idea that she thought of after being assigned to a school project.

“I had to think of an everyday problem so I thought of the everyday problem I used to have which was going to treatment and using the IV poles,” Simonds said.

She is now a sixth-grade student who fought her own battle for a full year after being diagnosed with a type of soft-tissue cancer.

She went through one month of radiation and 46 weeks of chemotherapy and said the worst part about it was wheeling around a large metal pole with an IV and all of its tubes attached to it.

“Even when I was in treatment, I thought this could be so much easier if I could think of something and I have backpacks for school and how light they are,” Simonds said. “Treatments would be so much easier for them and not as scary for them because just seeing the IV poles is scary.”

Eventually, Simonds said she wants the backpacks to be personalized for boys and girls, including different colors and themes.

She has raised $52,000 through a GoFundMe page.

“I'm hoping all the hospitals all over the country can have them and I want all the kids to be happy again,” she said.

The family's next step is making a working backpack to test out and they hope to do that in the next year.