Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    From People's Heroes Among Us

FINDING HOMES FOR RETIRED GREYHOUNDS

Dennis Tyler, 64

Melbourne, Fla.

Dennis Tyler looks deep into the eyes of each greyhound needing a new life after retiring from Florida's busy racetracks and gets inspired all over again. "It's looking at all those faces," he says, "that drives me to keep doing this."

Since 1991, Tyler, a retired mechanic from Kennedy Space Center, has found adoptive homes for some 7,200 greyhounds who are no longer able to compete on the track. He pays veterinary bills, matches dogs with loving families and drives them to their new homes, mostly on the East Coast. New owner Sharon Bell of Rochester, N.Y., says 5-year-old Koa works magic with her 25-year-old daughter Danielle, who has special needs. "Dennis," she says, "is incredible." floridagreyhounds.com
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Heroes Among Us
    Family of Eight Travels Cross-Country Helping Others

Most families spend their summer vacation at the beach – not traveling across the country to help families in need.

Meet the Mursets.

Gregg, 40, his wife Kami, 37, and their six kids ranging in age from 7 to 16, left Phoenix in their motor home on June 29 to spend 20 days on the road volunteering their time to help 25 families in need.

"I told the kids and my wife over breakfast that I wanted to do this," Gregg Murset, 40, tells PEOPLE.

"They all looked at me like I was crazy," he says, "but when we started to read the stories of people we were going to help, their attitudes completely changed."

Gregg is the founder of My Job Chart, a company with 725,000 users that teaches children about work ethics and money management.

The company partners with Autism Speaks, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and three more organizations that helped to connect the Mursets with families who have children with cancer, genetic disorders and other illnesses.

"When you have a kid who is struggling, the last thing you're thinking of is pulling weeds, vacuuming or dusting," says Gregg.

"It's been amazing to watch my own children open their eyes and see that the world is bigger than they are," he says. "Even the little kids are learning from this experience."

So far, they have stopped in Albuquerque, Denver, Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit and Buffalo on their 6,500-mile journey.

One family in Warren, Michigan, says it was a blessing to have the family stop by their home.

"They showed up at 8 a.m. and we had a list of things we needed help with," says Jim Spencer, 61, whose 12-year-old daughter Lexi has Down syndrome and was diagnosed with leukemia a couple years ago.

"I was very impressed with how professional the kids were," he says. "They just wanted to help."

They were on ladders, cleaning windows and in the yard doing manual labor.

As the Mursets make their way around the country, the kids are visiting places they've never seen.

They stopped at Niagara Falls already, and will see the Statue of Liberty when they're in New York City.

"There is nothing wrong with your kid getting off the couch, doing some work and sweating," says Gregg. "It's good for the kid and it's good for the soul."

Internet story

Birthday Present for Others

Today I turned 63. For years I have been giving special birthday gifts through my church, but this year after hearing other stories of random kindness, I decided that my present this year should be for strangers. My husband took me to lunch at a restaurant we had never been before in Hilo "the Burger Joint". After we had placed our order a group of 9 coast guarders came in. They were seated close to us and as I heard them place their orders, I leaned over and told my husband I wanted to pick up there tab. I went to the waitress and told her it was my birthday present and she immediately said. "Oh it's your birthday, your meal will be free." So my bill was cut in half, but I gave 9 young men I never met a big Mahalo for their service to our community and country. It's been a great Birthday.

Little girl sells toys to raise money for unwanted pets

CLEVELAND -- On a sunny, summer day, Jemma Sommer stands on a corner in the Tremont neighborhood selling her stuffed animals out of a red wagon for $1 each.

"I wanted to sell my toys to raise money for the Cleveland APL to help animals," says 5-year-old Jemma.

She decided to sell her stuffed animals after her Mom saw another little girl on Facebook raising money by selling her toys, too.

"She said 'we have to do this,' and here we are," says her mother Alyssa Sommer.

So far, they have raised $112 and will deliver it Thursday to the Cleveland Animal Protective League

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local...83/?hpt=us_bn9

From children's kindness acts website:

Turning a Frown Upside Down
    One of my classmates was sitting alone at a table, crying because he just got bullied. Friends and I were all sitting together at our table talking and we noticed him. First Brianna went to go sit with him. Then Hannah and Molly thought it was a good idea too. Eventually everybody from our table went over to sit with him! It felt great, and he stopped crying.

Dog alerts deaf child to burning home

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH)-Indianapolis firefighters were calling a dog named Ace a hero on Wednesday after they said he saved a boy from a fire.

The fire happened Wednesday afternoon in the 6400 block of Perry Pines Court, near Gray Road and East Edgewood Avenue on the south side.

Inside was a 13 year-old boy who’s deaf and was sleeping.

As 24-Hour News 8 anchor Daniel Miller discovered, the boy escaped the fire unharmed, thanks to his four-legged best friend.

“He’s always been good with people that comes over; he’s never been really aggressive,” said James Bernard of Indianapolis.

Two and a half year-old Ace, the Bernard’s family dog is getting a lot of attention.

“He’s just like one of the family members basically,” he said.

Wednesday afternoon, Ace, a Pit Bull, became an instant hero

“He is; he saved my life,” said Nick Lamb.

13 year-old Lamb, who is legally deaf, was sleeping without his cochlear implants inside his home on Perry Pines Court.

“He woke me up because I couldn’t hear anything and I was asleep and I looked around my room and I smelled smoke and I could see a little bit of smoke in my room,” Lamb said.

“He had to get up on him in his face and stuff; he’s a hero,” said Lindsay Bernard, Nick’s mom.

IFD took pictures of the fire when they arrived on the scene. Flames quickly took over the home.

“There was a bunch of loud popping noises and everything else, but the dog obviously knew something wrong and he went and woke him up,” Bernard said.

Lamb was in his bedroom on the second floor. He said when Ace woke him up, he quickly grabbed one of his two cochlear implants and they escaped.

“I took a breath and I went downstairs with Ace and the whole house was covered in smoke and a little bit of fire,” Lamb said.

The Bernard family said they have so much more to be thankful for.

“I would have never seen this from him. I didn’t see this coming,” said Bernard.

And most of all they are thankful for Ace.

“I love him a lot more now,” Lamb said.

Firefighters were able to rescue the family’s cat who was still inside the home when they arrived on the scene.

8-Year-Old Raises $10K to Buy Police Bullet Proof Vests
    Tribune 1:36 mins

Andrew Troxell, an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Officer, says the death of his co-worker, Perry Renn, hit his family hard. His 8-year-old son wanted to do something to help, so he started raising money for bullet proof vests.

https://news.yahoo.com/video/8-old-r...142007774.html

From People Magazine Heroes Among Us:

GIVING TROUBLED KIDS A SECOND CHANCE
    Judge Jimmie Edwards, 56

St. Louis, Mo.

In 2009 Family Court Judge Jimmie Edwards launched the Innovative Concept Academy, an alternative, last-resort school for young offenders in the same neighborhood as the gang-ridden public housing complex where he grew up. His unique approach seems to be working: Only four of 700 students have returned to jail. Says Edwards: "It doesn't make sense to lock a 12-year-old up for six years and put him back in our community when he's 18. Every child, and especially those who have made mistakes, deserves a chance to see the good in this world and to dream of what possibilities life has to offer. I truly believe I can rehabilitate children. Most are good and decent. I know they can do better; they can achieve. They want somebody to teach them what's right."

This 84-Year-Old Woman Rescued a Dog from a Pack of Wild Coyotes

On July 11, Dolores Jefferson became a local hero after she rescued a neighbor's dog from a pack of wild coyotes.

The 84-year-old Bensenville, Illinois, resident was enjoying a cup of coffee when she heard noises coming from behind her home.

Jefferson went outside to investigate and found her neighbor's dog, Roxie, an Egyptian Pharoah Hound, surrounded by five coyotes.

According to Jefferson, one of the coyotes had Roxie by her head.

"He was huge. He was as big as any German Shepherd I've ever seen," Jefferson told NBC Chicago. "He turned around, looked at me, and Roxie got farther away from him."

As for how Jefferson scared the coyotes away?

"All I could remember, my son told me to yell, make a lot of noise if you see one, and that's what I did," she said.

Roxie was examined by a vet and is expected to make a full recovery, and her owner, Rich Parent, can't thank Jefferson enough.

"Here's this lady, pushing 85 years old, and she's my hero," he said.

God bless her! And God bless Roxie too.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Heroes Among Us
    Brenda Jones Create Unique Hospital Gowns for Ailing Women

When Brenda Jones was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008, she used her experience to create what she calls her "Vera Wang moment."

It all started when she went for her first day of radiation in January 2009.

The technician "just pointed to the dressing room and said, 'Go on in there, and put on a hospital gown. You're going to wear them for the next seven weeks,' " Jones, 56, tells PEOPLE.

"I opened that door and literally when I saw those stacks of those hospital gowns, that's when I lost it," she says. "I just stood there crying. In my head I'm screaming, 'I'm not wearing those things!' "

At the same time, an idea popped into her head of what she would like to wear.

"I knew exactly what I was going to make," says Jones, a former veterinary technician who had never sewn a day in her life.

That one moment led to her creating Hug Wraps, a nonprofit that has made more than 1,000 kimono-style gowns in a variety of patterns, colors and designs to women with all sorts of illnesses. A friend helped her learn how to sew.

The old gowns "take away patients' dignity, respect, comfort, it strips them of everything," says Jones, of Southampton, New Jersey. "But when you put on a Hug Wrap, you put on a smile."

Jones says the 501(c)(3) nonprofit relies heavily on monetary donations to create the wraps. Many of her customers are people buying the wraps for their family members or friends. She then tries to match the design of the gown as closely as possible to the patient's interests and needs.

Mary Carty got a Hug Wrap from Jones's niece, Althea McIlwee, after she was diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2012.

"It was a cold, cold rainy night and it was like 9 o'clock at night and she said, 'I have something to bring you, I know it will cheer you up,' " says Carty, 62, of Mount Holly, New Jersey.

"It was red – it makes me cry every time I think about it – it was red with yellow owls on it," she says. "Red is one of my favorite colors and owls are a spirit animal for me."

Carty says her husband Richard and their two sons were supportive but having the Hug Wrap was the female connection she needed during her battle with breast cancer.

"It gave me a positive feeling, like somebody cared," Carty says. "It really made me feel connected to a bunch of people, like we're all going through this same thing. It was a hug; it was literally a hug!"

Jones also includes a personal note with every Hug Wrap she makes.

"[Brenda] said that this was her hug that she wanted to give to me so when I went to my treatments and stuff I won't feel alone," Carty says, crying.

"You know, I just couldn't stop crying and every time I try to read that note, I cry," she says. "It's something special and Brenda has brought a lot of peace to a lot of people. I've always said if I won the lottery, she's the first on the list."

Carty officially became cancer free on March 12, 2013, but she says she still sports her Hug Wrap.

"It was just nice to have that item, and I still have it," she says. "I think I'll frame it. I'll never get rid of it."

Jones has donated Hug Wraps to Nazareth Hospital in Philadelphia, greatly impacting the cancer community, according to radiation therapist Candy McLaughlin.

"It's absolutely amazing and profound what this simple, little piece of fabric does for the patient when they have to come in for treatment every day," she says. "It presents a positive feeling to the patient that this is something the hospital is offering them but I really make an effort for them to understand that this is coming from Brenda."

Jones said her ultimate goal, besides appearing on Ellen DeGeneres's show, is for any patient that is handed a diagnosis of cancer to be handed a Hug Wrap.

"For me to have gotten that angry when I did is not like me," says Jones, who is now cancer free. "But, really looking back, if I hadn't gotten that angry I wouldn't have been pushed to change those hospital gowns."

Brenda Jones: Mary McCarty:

5-year-old’s letter to police shows you’re never too young to make a difference

WESTLAKE, Ohio — If you doubt that one person can make a difference, you haven’t met 5-year-old Presley Keeton of Westlake. She was concerned about safety in her neighborhood and a letter she wrote to police got an immediate response.

Like most children, Presley likes to play outside. But, she didn’t always feel safe outside her house on Bassett Road. Sometimes she sees cars pass by going faster than the posted 25 mph speed limit. So concerned, she decided to write a letter to the police. Her reason: “because they stop people from speeding,” she said.

She invited police to come to her street and see the problem for themselves. The letter was rather convincing. “It was a picture of the road and every car was going above the speed limit. One car was going 89,” Presley said.

Her Dad said the letter was entirely Presley’s idea to write. “When she decided to do it, I thought there’s no better person to kind of get their attention than a 5-year-old. If a 5-year-old notices that it’s a problem, then it’s probably a pretty big issue,” Zach Keeton said.

Presley was expecting a letter in return, instead Officer Tony Lavolpa come to her house Wednesday ready to catch speeders on her street. “It is extremely infrequent for a 5-year-old to communicate with us. And, we thought this would be a good opportunity to maybe make a friend and also address the complaint that she made,” Capt. Guy Turner of the Westlake Police Dept. said.

Within an hour, Officer Lavolpa did catch some speeders on the street. “He stopped seven or eight,” Presley said. Zach Keeton is proud of what his daughter accomplished with her letter. “I think Presley is a wonderful example of showing that it doesn’t matter how old you are that you make a difference,” he said.

Presley said her street is safer, but “there is still more speeders to catch,” she added. Video: http://fox8.com/2014/07/16/5-year-ol...ce/?hpt=us_bn9

Like many other cities, Trenton has a problem with guns, drugs, and gangs. Ours is a quiet street with pleasant neighbors but we all keep pretty much to ourselves. There's a young high school student on our street who spends a great deal of his time with the younger kids teaching them how to play football and how to shoot a basketball. When he's out there with the younger kids it's something wonderful to see. This young man is giving the others something positive to do while learning something positive in the process. The good kids like this far outnumber the trouble makers. I want to see young men and women like my neighbor on the front page of the newspaper doing good for their neighborhood and get the recognition they so rightly deserve.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Like many other cities, Trenton has a problem with guns, drugs, and gangs. Ours is a quiet street with pleasant neighbors but we all keep pretty much to ourselves. There's a young high school student on our street who spends a great deal of his time with the younger kids teaching them how to play football and how to shoot a basketball. When he's out there with the younger kids it's something wonderful to see. This young man is giving the others something positive to do while learning something positive in the process. The good kids like this far outnumber the trouble makers. I want to see young men and women like my neighbor on the front page of the newspaper doing good for their neighborhood and get the recognition they so rightly deserve.
    AMEN! I'm so tired of society giving attention to the dregs of society. There have always been more good in the world than bad. Let's keep focused on the positive stories. And let's bring attention to the good. When you see it, acknowledge it. When you read it, forward or post it. When you do it, toot your own horn!

Grandfather runs into burning RV to rescue twin granddaughters

SALEM, OR (KPTV) - A family barely escaped a burning RV early Thursday morning. Now, a grandfather is in the hospital recovering from his injuries after he went back into the burning camper to save his grandkids.

It's been a long day for Sunya Laing and her family, but they're all grateful that they're alive.

The family is still trying to understand what happened after their RV burst into flames, as four of them slept inside.

"I guess a little after midnight all of a sudden we just heard this boom and I guess I got thrown out of the camper," said Sunya Laing.

The family believes the fire started at the propane tank. The flames spread from the middle of the RV to where 11-year-old twins, Jessie and Jaden were sleeping.

"Then I saw flames and that's when I heard my grandpa yelling and the flames went up after it started by the stove," said Jessie Laing, who escaped the burning camper.

It was their grandfather who jumped into action.

"He tried to get some of it out so he could get to us but he couldn't so he just went through the flames and got us," said Jessie.

Chris Laing rushed back in and was focused on one thing.

"All I can remember is him yelling for the kids; my kids, my kids and he ran back in there and got the girls," said Sunya Laing.

"He just yanked me and said Jaden jump and I jumped and I landed somewhere outside," said Jaden Laing, who escaped the fire.

Everyone got out OK.

The girls had minor burns to their feet. Jaden got a slight burn to her nose.

However, it was their grandpa who suffered the worst of it.

Chris got second and third degree burns to his arms and had blisters on his head and the bottoms of his feet.

"He doesn't think he's a hero but if we didn't have him we would not be here right now," added Jaden Laing.

The family knows things could have ended much differently if Chris didn't jump into action.

"Yeah, they wouldn't be here today if he didn't go get them," said Sunya Laing.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Chris remains in the hospital in Portland as he's treated for his burns. He was expected to be going home by the end of this week.