Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162 LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Honest teen returns $1500 found in customer's pocket at Continental Cleaners

GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. - A couple who mistakenly left $1,500 in a pair of pants at the dry cleaners after going on vacation got their money back, thanks to an honest high school student in Greenwood Village.

When Chris and Nota Syrpes left Greece, Chris gave his leftover Euro's from one pocket to his brother and kept his leftover dollars in his other pocket for the trip home.

When Nota dropped off the clothes at Continental Cleaners in Greenwood Village Monday she didn't check both pockets and the money went with the pants.

However, the Syrpes' daughter, Helen, told 7NEWS, when her parents got home from the cleaners, there was a message waiting.

"All of their money was there," Helen Syrpes said. "They have honest employees working there."

Continental Cleaners owner Bill Platten told 7NEWS that his workers always check pockets for pens, lipstick, chapstick and other items before clothes go into the load.

A Cherry Creek High School student working the counter, Paola, found the money.

Platten said Paola has actually found a large sum of money before.

The Syrpes gave Paola a reward for her honesty.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Honest teen returns $1500 found in customer's pocket at Continental Cleaners

GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. - A couple who mistakenly left $1,500 in a pair of pants at the dry cleaners after going on vacation got their money back, thanks to an honest high school student in Greenwood Village.

When Chris and Nota Syrpes left Greece, Chris gave his leftover Euro's from one pocket to his brother and kept his leftover dollars in his other pocket for the trip home.

When Nota dropped off the clothes at Continental Cleaners in Greenwood Village Monday she didn't check both pockets and the money went with the pants.

However, the Syrpes' daughter, Helen, told 7NEWS, when her parents got home from the cleaners, there was a message waiting.

"All of their money was there," Helen Syrpes said. "They have honest employees working there."

Continental Cleaners owner Bill Platten told 7NEWS that his workers always check pockets for pens, lipstick, chapstick and other items before clothes go into the load.

A Cherry Creek High School student working the counter, Paola, found the money.

Platten said Paola has actually found a large sum of money before.

The Syrpes gave Paola a reward for her honesty.
    My parents owned a dry cleaners for most of my life. I grew up in one. Our rule was we returned any money over $5. Anything less (which was usually loose change) went in a Tootsie Roll coin bank. I am not sure what my parents did with that money that was collected. I think we used it to get pizza twice a year when we had to do inventory.
    I know over the years they found large sums of money and very valuable items left in clothes. And sometimes we found disgusting items as well.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Blog Entries
    I don't really think giving back money that does not belong to you is gonna make you a "good guy". It's kinda called not stealing a bros money when he's misplaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    I don't really think giving back money that does not belong to you is gonna make you a "good guy". It's kinda called not stealing a bros money when he's misplaced it.
    Thank you! That's what I thought too.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Okay. I look forward to your postings on "good" guys/news.

Blog Entries
    Alright, I nominate me. The kid next door was suppose to be a newspaper delivery boy. He in fact, threw all of the newspapers he was suppose to deliver in my garbage can for months. He is very good kid, I did not rat on him or kick his silly buttocks, nor did I confront the silly bugger. He was eventually busted and has clearly learned his lesson. He is now delivering his papers whilst I minded my own business and allowed him to learn from his own measly mistakes. Bless his wee, lazy heart

Blog Entries
    I have done lotsa kind stuff but none if it counts if ya tell me thinks. Big or little random acts of kindness, they all come back to ya. Called karma baby.

Dozens 'pay it backward' at North Myrtle Beach Chick-Fil-A

NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – On Monday at the Chick-Fil-A in North Myrtle Beach, one good deed led to dozens more.

The restaurant's manager says 40 different people volunteered to "pay it backward" to the car behind them in the drive-thru. Employees were amazed when people kept volunteering to pay for the meal of the person behind them in line, over and over and over.

"At first it was, hey, the person behind you paid - then after 10, 15, 20 cars - then it was hey the person behind you paid and you're the 21st car!" said Walt Anderson, Director of Guest Services at Chick-Fil-A.

"It's nice to see that we have humanity in each of our guests and each person that comes through," said Chick-Fil-A Team member Amanda Richards.

Chick-Fil-A says customers were happy to chip in after hearing how many others had already done it.

Couple invite lonely homeless man to Thanksgiving dinner

This year, this man has two people to be thankful for.

Neal Shytles of Norfolk, Virginia, spends his holidays by himself as he is homeless with no family living nearby, WTKR reported.

"I am lonely like 365 days a year but Christmas and Thanksgiving are two of the worst days, and I really miss having some kind of family atmosphere around me," Shytles told WTKR.

Wishing for a traditional Thanksgiving with others, Shytles posted an ad on his local news station's Facebook page, asking to spend the holiday with a family, the outlet reported. While the ad attracted several volunteers offering to take him in as a guest, Ashley and Cory LeMore of Newport News, Virginia, contacted Shytles first. The couple plans on hosting him at their Thanksgiving table.

"I was crying when she called me and I had to excuse myself because I was emotional," Shytle told WTKR about the moment he first heard the LeMores' offer.

The LeMores will make a trip to Shytle's town to pick him up and bring him to their home for the holiday, where he'll finally be surrounded by the family atmosphere he was looking for -- something he says he's overjoyed with.

"I love both you and your husband even though I haven't met you," the Virginia man told WTKR of his gratitude toward Ashley and her husband. "Thank you so much. It means a lot to me.”

While Shytle says he's ecstatic about having a family to spend Thanksgiving with, he's not the only one excited about it.

"I just look forward to having him in our house and a part of our family for the day," Ashley told the outlet.

The holidays can really bring out the best in people.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Couple invite lonely homeless man to Thanksgiving dinner....
    That's very nice to hear. I've been technically homeless before but had some other options so I didn't have to live in a shelter. At one time or another, many of us have been away from our loved ones during the Holidays. It can be very depressing.

This year we're opening our home to 3 young people who are away from their Montana homes. We can't take the place of their family but we can provide some good food, good conversation and a phone line so that they can call their loved ones.

If you have friends and/or co-workers who may spend Thanksgiving alone, I hope you consider inviting them over to share your family. Some day, you may be the one far from home.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/brentwo...425k-1.2003753

Brentwood home, site of Calgary's worst mass murder, sells for $425K

CTV Calgary: A home in Brentwood gets a new owner

A home in Brentwood gets a new owner. Amanda Singroy talks to the man who bought the home – the scene of Calgary’s worst mass murder.

Share:

Karolyn Coorsh, CTVNews.ca
    Published Friday, September 12, 2014 8:13AM EDT

A Calgary home that was the scene of the city’s worst mass murder has been sold after it was put on the market in July.
    Five young people were stabbed to death in the Brentwood home during a university party last April.
    The young man who recently purchased the now-notorious house says he bought it for redemption in the community, and that his faith played a role in the decision.
    Photos

11 Butler Crescent N.W. in Calgary, the home where the murders of five young people took place, has sold for $425,000.

23-year-old Kadin Osborne says he bought the home as an opportunity to help the community heal.

“I thought maybe it could be not so much a financial opportunity as an opportunity to the neighbours and the families of the victims, and just to be able to spread a little bit of love and a little bit of hope in such a dark neighbourhood,” said new homeowner Kadin Osborne.
    The four-bedroom house at 11 Butler Crescent N.W. was listed in July for $489,000. It sold for $425,000.
    Osborne, 23, said that he plans to be respectful of the house and its history. An outdoor memorial created in tribute to the victims will remain, he said.
    “I know there’s a lot of hurt that has happened there, and mourning that needs to take place, and I would maybe like to make a happy medium of the two,” he said. “Not totally forget it, but welcome people who would want to come and mourn.”
    The Brentwood was a rental and once known among university students as the “Butler Mansion.”
    Kaiti Perras, Josh Hunter, Zackariah Rathwell, Jordan Segura and Lawrence Hong were stabbed to death at the home during a party there on April 15.
    There had been previous calls for the city to buy the property and turn it into a park, an option neighbour Carol Shipp says she would have preferred.
    Shipp said she doesn’t know why anyone would want to live there.
    “Every time you turn around, occasionally you’d say to yourself, ‘oh my gosh,’” she told CTV Calgary.
    Still, other neighbours say they’re glad someone will reside there again.
    “It’s just really important that people are aware of what happened and it’s really good to see the memorial that’s there,” said neighbour Patrick Chan. He added that acknowledging the tragedy helps with the healing process.
    Osborne said he will live in the house by himself, and that he has no plans to sell.
    Matthew de Grood, 22, has been charged in the murders of the Brentwood victims. He is set to appear in court later this month.
    With a report by CTV Calgary’s Amanda Singroy
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Man keeps childhood promise, splits Powerball jackpot with brother

BEND, OR (KPTV) - A Bend man is in the running for the best brother ever.

Eric Hale of Bend won a $1 million jackpot in the Sept. 24 Powerball drawing. He correctly picked five numbers, but missed the Powerball.

After learning he had won, Hale quickly called his brother in Yakima, WA.

"When I was a kid, I promised my brother that if I ever won the lottery, I would split it with him," Hale said. "He was my first call when I realized I won."

Quinn Hale told lottery officials he didn't believe his brother at first.

"This is beyond cool," he said. "I never believed he would actually do it."

After taxes, each brother took home around $335,000, according to the Oregon Lottery.

Eric Hale purchased the winning ticket at Quick Way Market in Bend on the way to visit his mother. He played the same numbers he has picked for the past 20 years.

Eric Hale said he is going to invest some of the money and continue graduate school, according to an Oregon Lottery release. Quinn Hale said he is going to use the money to put a down payment on a motorhome and pay off bills.

Tuskegee girl, 5, boasts business license, sweet formula for helping others

TUSKEGEE, AL (WSFA) - Lots of kids build lemonade stands to raise a little extra money. It may go toward buying a new bike or video game, but few who aspire to profit from the sweet summertime time favorite take it seriously enough to get a business license like 5-year-old Tuskegee resident Alycia Leonard Amore.

The little entrepreneur with big ideas isn't growing her own business for herself, either. She's literally turning life's lemons into lemonade for those who have cleft palates, a birth defect that is caused when a baby's lip or mouth doesn't form properly during pregnancy.

Half of the profits from Alycia's business, called Lemon-aide A.M.O.R.E., are earmarked for a special cause that started after she saw SmileTrain, an organization that specializes in giving those with cleft palates a new smile.

For a dollar per cup, Alycia is quenching the thirst of customers at her grandmother's furniture store, and helping her fellow man. It's why her last name doubles as an acronym in her business title, "About Making Others Really Enamored".

Theresa Swain, Alycia's grandmother, says the pre-K business owner told her while helping around the store one day, "Grammy, you have your own business. I want my own business." What started with snacks to customers quickly bloomed with the girl bringing in $78, according to Swain.

Alycia says she wants to make everyone happy with her tasty drinks and her reasons for going into business should bring smiles to a lot of faces.

ON THE WEB: http://www.smiletrain.org/

How nice! And what a great young lady here!

Since I was born with a harelip myself, I especially appreciate her efforts.

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Mom of Fallen Marine Comforts Grieving Families with Teddy Bears Sewn from Soldiers' Uniforms

It was Aug. 7, 2009, the first day of school. Math and science teacher Lisa Freeman was assembling packets of pens and paper in her classroom at Richmond Hill Middle School in Georgia when she saw two Marines somberly walking down the hall.

Her only son, Matthew, 29, a pilot in the Marines who had volunteered to serve on more dangerous ground duty, had arrived in Afghanistan only nine days earlier – and already had started a project to help Afghan children. He had asked his mom to help help round up school supplies.

He would never finish that project, and Lisa Freeman, as she learned that day, would never see her son again.

"It was always Matthew's dream to be a pilot in the military, just like his dad and grandfather," says Lisa, 62, now retired, of Richmond Hill. "It was so difficult to lose him. But I soon realized that I wasn't alone."

While condolences poured in to Lisa, her husband, Gary, and Matthew's wife, Teresa, Freeman noticed that well-wishers often overlooked Matthew's two sisters, Marybeth Macias, 28, and Virginia Wiedower, 26.

"Their big brother meant the world to them," she says. "Their lives changed when he died, too, not just mine."

Wanting to help grieving siblings, Freeman founded the Matthew Freeman Project, a nonprofit that creates teddy bears sewn from the uniforms of soldiers killed in action. To date, Freeman and her volunteer seamstresses have given away more than 100 stuffed bears.

But Freeman wanted to do more than provide comfort. So she started a college scholarship fund that so far has given away seven $1,000 scholarships to siblings of fallen service people and five $1,500 scholarships to seniors at Matthew's former high school.

"Though we can't run up to my brother and give him a hug, we can now hold on tight to a bear and remember him," says Jessica Frausto, 28, of San Antonio, who requested three bears so that her sons, Bruce, 7, Colton, 4, and Levi, 1, could remember their uncle, Army Spc. Shannon Chihuahua, killed in Afghanistan in 2010.

"The bears help remind me of the warmth, joy and light that my brother brought to our family," she says.

Freeman has now expanded her project to include families whose soldiers have died from combat-related related suicide.

"A bear is such a small thing, but it provides a lot of comfort," she says.

"It's a tremendous honor to be able to give somebody something they can treasure in their loved one's memory. Nobody who loses a sibling or a nephew or an uncle in uniform should be forgotten."

Teddy bears sewn from fallen soldiers' uniforms