Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Clearing Snow for Neighbours
    Whether they are young or old, able or not, just do it if it is needed please. The benefits are many to both parties involved but most important of all, they appreciate it. (Plus, upon reflection, you'll like yourself that little bit more for doing so.) By all means, prioritize what gets cleared first according to each individual's needs. But don't wait to be asked as their paths are full of snow and they cannot get to your door to do so. Just go grab some shovels and get to work!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Layaway Line
    I like to help out folks that work hard but have a difficult time during the holidays. So I just go to a local store that offers layaway like Kmart. I get in line and then when the person goes up to pay I step in and ask if I could please pay the balance for them so they can take the gifts home and not have to worry about it any longer. It is easy and you get to see a smiling face and a huge hug. I don't tell them who I am and just ask them to pass it on when they can.

Christmas kindness
    One year when my 4 children were young ranging from about 5 to 15, I had been unemployed for over a year and there were no prospects. It was approaching Christmas and we had talked to the kids telling them that this year there would be no gifts to share with each other. They were great about it and they all accepted it without complaint. I have always felt that no matter what your religion Christmas is a magical time of year and should be about love and kindness but this year I was really down. I had always enjoyed Christmas as a child and my parents had never failed to provide a wonderful Christmas for me so I was really feeling down that I was not going to be able to do that for my children this year. One night about 3 weeks before Christmas we were sitting at home not doing much and the doorbell rang. We went to answer it only to find no one there but a white envelope lying on the doorstep. We opened it and inside were $750 dollars cash with a note that said "Merry Christmas from someone who loves you." We never did find out who did that for us but it was one of the best Christmas we ever had. To repay that act of kindness for us the next year I was working and we knew of a family in our neighborhood who was in similar circumstances. We were still catching up from being unemployed for so long so we could not afford much but we scraped together $400 dollars and did the same for that family. This world is filled with so much anger and hatred and saddens me that we can't all accept one another as fellow human beings without having to display so much anger and hatred and judgment towards others. Random acts of kindness as appear here give me hope in our race as human beings.

My Neighbor Norman
    My dear neighbor Norman is always so kind with his words. He is a true gentleman from the South. My husband and I noticed that he can't move around much anymore. On the weekends we shop for him and I always cook more to share with him. We noticed that he had a small TV and I don't use the one in my room so a few weeks ago we brought him ours. He can't stop thanking us. Now he can watch all the MGM in stereo. On Valentine Day I brought him a bunch of flowers. My dear husband noticed that his rug was torn and went to Home Depot and replaced it with tile. It is such a pleasure being with Norman. This all started 3 years ago when I noticed his traditional Christmas wreath was not on his door. We went out and bought one for him and one for us. He always makes my day.

Because One Family Pitched In When It Counted

"Last year, after months of pain and fatigue, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia," says Kathy Beezley, of Fenton, Missouri. "I had barely been able to work, let alone clean and decorate for the holidays. So my sister Diane told me a few 'elves' were coming over to help. Imagine my surprise when 15 people showed up! My aunts, cousins, sisters, nieces, and mom came in a whirlwind of buckets, brooms, and cleaning supplies. What a wonderful Christmas gift."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...130055137.html

Marine returning home greeted by 6-year-old son who learned to walk while his dad was gone
    In a heartwarming video that will soon be flooding email inboxes, Facebook walls and Twitter feeds, a U.S. marine returning home from Afghanistan is greeted by his 6-year-old son at a ceremony inside a school gymnasium. The boy, who had cerebral palsy, was unable to walk when his father, Staff Sgt. Jeremy Cooney, was deployed.
    "While daddy was away, he learned to walk," Melissa Cooney, the boy's mother, explained on the WelcomeHomeBlog.com. "For his homecoming, we set it up for Michael to walk to his daddy for the first time ever! We kept the fact that he could walk a secret the whole time his dad was gone!"
    "Your children are so very proud of you," an announcer tells Cooney, a father of six, over the gym's loudspeaker.

Love to Tip this Way

We were vacationing in Hilton Head, SC with our two youngest daughters (10 and 14) over the Christmas/New Year holiday. We had gotten a refund from our mortgage escrow of $500, totally unexpected money, and decided each of us would have $100 to give to whoever/whatever organization we wanted to. So we're having a great lunch and are being served by the nicest pregnant lady, who looks like she could have her baby at any moment. She had to have been exhausted, but was so sweet, great with the girls and just happy. So my husband said he was going to give his $100 to our waitress, just because here she was working RIGHT up to her due date, literally, and was still so genuinely nice and gracious. So we waited to pay the bill and left the $100 with a note saying how nice she had been and that we hoped she enjoyed being parents as much as we do. And then left really quickly so she wouldn't have the chance to return it. And the rule is we can't tell ANYONE about it because it's not about getting credit for you kindness. But since this is anonymous, I figured it didn't count.

I won't paste the whole article here because of its length. But it is an article about a soldier stationed in Japan. He inherited a Japanese flag from his grandfather, who served in World War II. THe story explains where the flag might have come from and what the soldier hopes to do with it.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...d-scott-bailey
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Package for a Preemie
    My daughter was born 6 weeks premature and had to be admitted to the NICU due to several complications. My wife and I spent day after day not knowing what to expect and felt utterly alone. We would spend every minute we could sitting next to our daughter's incubator only leaving late at night to sleep and come back the next day to do it all over again. Well one day we walked up to our baby's incubator and we noticed a nice little baby blanket that our baby was wrapped up with. Knowing that it wasn't a standard hospital blanket we asked a nurse where it came from and she said that a group of women bring in homemade blankets for the babies in the NICU just to say that they are thinking of them. We were blown away because although we never would meet these women we knew that there were others out there who cared for everyone of these little babies. That little blanket meant so much to us and we still cherish that blanket even today. This random act of kindness inspired my wife to show her love for the NICU babies as well. This past Christmas she put together presents for each of the NICU families including things such as a set of baby bottles, a Christmas ornament, lotion for the mommy, and of course a baby blanket. Although she will most likely never meet these babies or their families I was amazed at all the love that she showed letting these families know that in their time of need they are not alone.

Because Santa Is Real
    I got an anonymous letter a week before Christmas the year my husband was in Afghanistan with his National Guard unit. The writers thanked my husband for his military service and my family for our sacrifices. It also said, "We want your children to know that, yes, there is a Santa Claus. Please make sure they're spoiled while they spend this holiday without their dad." Inside the envelope was $300. I don't know who sent the letter, but it still brings tears to my eyes.
    -Shannon Taylor, Ames, Iowa

Be her daddy for Christmas

When I first heard the story of these two kids on the news, it made me want to scream. Then I heard this part of the story on the news.
    -------------

JEFFERSON PARK — The 5-year-old girl kept asking the detective one question after police discovered her bruised and cut from domestic abuse: "Will you be my daddy for Christmas?"

Area Central Detectives Joseph Mancilla and Pamela Childs, heartbroken by the situation, answered yes and are now collecting gifts and starting a trust fund for the girl and her 6-year-old brother, they said at a press conference Saturday.

The children were allegedly abused by grandmother Goldine Williams, 47, of the 7500 block of South Kingston Avenue in South Shore, with whom they had lived for four years, police said. Williams was arrested late last month for striking, beating and burning the toddlers.

"This is one of the worst [cases] in a long time," said Childs, who has worked with special victims for 20 years.

The children attended Finkl Elementary School, and one day, a teacher noticed that the boy was limping, police said. When asked what happened, the boy "broke down," saying he couldn't handle seeing his sister getting hurt any more, police said.

But when Mancilla and Childs attemped to learn what happened, the girl said little. She kept crying for "daddy." Then, Mancilla said, the girl ran into his arms, grabbed his face, and asked over and over: "Will you be my daddy for Christmas?"

"It felt like a Lifetime movie or something," Mancilla said.

After the detectives agreed, the girl rattled off her Christmas list: princess cake and princess stuff. Police have been collecting gifts, including princess items for the girl and Transformers toys for the boy, that they will deliver on Christmas Eve. Currently, the children are staying with family.

Giving gifts is more than just a kind gesture for Christmas. It's way for the children to trust an authority figure after being estranged from biological parents and allegedly abused by a grandmother, Childs said.

"It's so that they can understand that we're the police, and we're good people," she said. "You can trust us."

While the girl wanted princess-themed toys, the boy only had one Christmas wish, the police said: To see his sister stop getting hurt.

"This is a six-year-old kid," Mancilla said. "It kind of blows you away."

People interested in donating toys, clothes, shoes or money for the children can leave items at the 2nd District reception desk at 5101 South Cottage Grove Ave.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20121...#ixzz2ElFykNcF

-----
    The heartbreaking part of this, for me, is that there are probably other kids who need someone to help out with their Christmas. The U.S. Post Office in downtown Chicago always offers letters to Santa Claus for people to pick up, respond to the request, and then bring back the request and items so it can be delivered. They always get a lot of letters and I bet this year will be no exception with the economy so shaky.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Socks for Seniors
    Often the elderly or aging in our local assisted living facilities or nursing homes are overlooked during the holidays. I found an organization online that provided simple tools to project manage a holiday program to provide fun holiday socks to those in the homes. We placed boxes and posters around town and collected over 250 pairs of socks. My 2 sons and nephews wrapped each pair along with a nice Christmas note and delivered them to the seniors in our local homes on Christmas Eve. Everyone was so excited to get a small gift from random strangers on the holiday. The kids loved handing them out, seeing the smiles they brought to their faces. We are now planning on holding this program every year! Who would have thought such a simple idea would bring so much joy!

Because the Little Things Matter
    I was having a tough day, so I gave in to the smell of Starbucks and stopped by with a friend. In line I made a passing comment to her about how much I liked their special holiday coffee cup. The man behind me picked up the cup, bought it and handed it to me, saying "Merry Christmas." That small act of kindness turned my day completely around.
    -Elyse Butler, St. Louis, Missouri

Theresa Strader Rescues Thousands of Puppy-Mill Dogs
    When lifelong animal lover Theresa Strader heard about a massive dog auction in Missouri in 2007, she thought she would check out the scene and adopt a pet or two.

"I said, 'I'm set up to take care of two or three of them,' " remembers Strader, 48, a pediatric nurse and mom of four from Black Forest, Colo.

But when she arrived at the auction site – a collection of tents set up by a large-scale commercial breeder going out of business, a.k.a. a "puppy mill," says Strader – it broke her heart.

"The first thing that hits you," says Strader, "is the smell. Then you are overwhelmed by the emotion of seeing dogs live like that, in cages, frantic. These were dogs who never felt the sunshine on them."

Appalled, Strader ended up adopting 13 of the 561 dogs up for auction – and that was just the beginning. That February, she founded the nonprofit National Mill Dog Rescue, which has since housed, rehabilitated or found homes for more than 6,900 dogs, from poodles to pugs, cavaliers to chihuahuas.

At her 160-acre facility, Strader and a team of 1,400 volunteers, plus a small paid veterinary staff, "take immaculate care of every single dog. We don't cherry-pick," she says. "We take everybody."

Sherrie Lidderdale can attest to that. In August 2011, she adopted a Welsh corgi from Strader.

"Most people who love animals know about Theresa and all of the work that she does," says Lidderdale. "It's just so cool when one single individual can make such a huge difference."

I was feeling a little down today and this thread really cheered me up.

Thanks!